Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Ryanair Priority Scam

Ryanair Priority Scam

Old Jun 5th 2011, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ryanair Priority Scam

Originally Posted by anninspain
You have to be a UK resident to get one - not an option if you live in Spain
You can if you have UK accounts / cards ,residency dose not come into it with all of the card companies.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I had never flown with Ryanair before last year, but took a chance with a very cheap return flight from Malaga to Valencia and found nothing to criticise at all. I wouldn't pay for priority boarding - on a short flight, whether we're travelling as a couple or alone we don't really care where we sit, and at least if you can choose from those seats which are unoccupied you stand some chance of being able to avoid being squashed into a seat next to some 25 stone person or seated next to a screaming baby.

We're going to Zaragoza later this week with Ryanair - 2 return flights for a total of 53€, debit card booking fee included. That'll do for me!
Old Jun 5th 2011, 6:29 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I know it's not Ryanair but Easyjet have a similar service. With them the key advantage was a dedicated check-in with no queues.

That can make a big difference to your planned journey to the airport.

Yes, you got on board quicker but that is not necessarily a big deal.

The best option, and it's free, is to claim that you are an invalid and need special services - you might even get a buggy to take you to the boarding gate.

When we flew back to Spain from the UK about three years ago we were the only priority customers but there were a pair of "priority invalids" with us. They made it across the tarmac (little airport) faster than we did - crutches waving like a helicopter!

Luckily, these days, I rarely have to submit myself to "modern" air travel - that's a real blessing as far as I am concerned!
Old Jun 5th 2011, 7:14 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I have noticed that with every flight I take the numbers of "disabled" are increasing.

Yes as someone said it is the low cost airlines who have kept the price down for everyone. Monarch, BA etc. wouldn't be as cheap if they didn't have to compete with them. We all benefit whether we use them or not.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 8:07 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Judging by the number of disabled cards I see in the UK compared to other countries it appears that Brits are by far the sickest and most unhealthy ppl on the planet.
I look forward with interest to the day in the not too distant future when 95% of Ryanair passengers have to be wheeled across the tarmac and given loading assistance.
I don't think it will do any favours for their much famed turn-around time.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Judging by the number of disabled cards I see in the UK compared to other countries it appears that Brits are by far the sickest and most unhealthy ppl on the planet.
I look forward with interest to the day in the not too distant future when 95% of Ryanair passengers have to be wheeled across the tarmac and given loading assistance.
I don't think it will do any favours for their much famed turn-around time.
There was a story quite recently in the papers, where a budget airline refused to carry a disabled person as they already had their 'quota' on board. They DO set limits, fortunately for the rest of us, for health and safety reasons in the event of an emergency
Old Jun 6th 2011, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

Mama_Carol is an unknown quantity at this point

People who ask for wheelchair assistance at the airport when they don't really need it can cause problems for those of us that do need it.

I flew out of Alicante on 10th May. I pre-booked a wheelchair (yes I do need it as I cannot walk long distances or stand for any length of time. I also cannot use stairs or escalators).

When I got to the airport I was told there were no wheelchairs available. They said that since the new terminal had opened they had so many people asking for assistance they did not have enough chairs to cope.

We nearly missed our flight. A wheelchair became available just in time.

If you do not need a wheelchair, please do not ask for one.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 10:50 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

The service provided to the disabled and wheelchair users at Malaga seems to be excellent. They even have seats anyone can use if, like me, you have mobility problems (arthritic knees etc) but not registered disabled.

Remember a flight from Stansted to Belfast where the attendents make a sows ear of the loading of 2 disabled, the 6 young mothers with their pushchairs were complaining about the delay.

As I have found after being almost hyperactive for many years, things like anno domini, arthritis and blood pressure can hit you out of nowhere and suddenly start to understand about life for the elderly and disabled.

So saying, paying for "priority" with Ryanair and having to stand in a queue for over 30mins isnt an option
Old Jun 6th 2011, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

reggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by johnnyone
Prority works for me.
We get on the plane, hand luggage immediately overhead, sit down and read the papers while the plane gets loaded and the boarders get more and more irritated searching for seats and overhead space.
I don't think I would bother if I was travelling on my own as I would not have any hand luggage, but for some reason not understood by me my wife needs to take "things" over. I would also be last on the 'plane.
As I have written on other threads if I had the option of travelling with a traditional airline I would willingly pay the extra. Unfortunately not possible into Valencia.
Well you can fly with Iberia. Just means changing planes in Madrid. But it does mean flying with a traditional airline.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by reggiedh
Well you can fly with Iberia. Just means changing planes in Madrid. But it does mean flying with a traditional airline.
The poster you replied to did not mention his UK location so that suggestion is probably not an option.

Iberia ....London to Valencia via Madrid next Monday is 680GBP one way
Old Jun 6th 2011, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

reggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by whitelinen
The poster you replied to did not mention his UK location so that suggestion is probably not an option.

Oh I know it is more expensive; but the option he requested is available if he is going to the UK albeit for a price.
As much as we dislike we just suck it up; it's only two hours after all.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen

It is an option. But would anybody in their right mind turn a 2hr Ryanair journey into a 6hr traditional flight. It's called balance.
I also noticed a couple of weeks ago on my airmiles account they were advertising Swiss Air flights London City (my favourite airport) to Valencia. In expectation I logged on to the Swiss Air website only to discover it was via Geneva, so again no go for me.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by johnnyone
It is an option. But would anybody in their right mind turn a 2hr Ryanair journey into a 6hr traditional flight. It's called balance.
I also noticed a couple of weeks ago on my airmiles account they were advertising Swiss Air flights London City (my favourite airport) to Valencia. In expectation I logged on to the Swiss Air website only to discover it was via Geneva, so again no go for me.
We used Ryanair Sevilla to Stansted regularly a couple of years ago (daughter was at University in Sevilla) and arriving for what was the last flight out of Sevilla on a Sunday night, I was surprised to find the departure lounge full of Iberia passengers who were due to fly back to Heathrow via Madrid that morning - unfortunately Madrid was snow-bound! For once, Ryanair won the day. Those poor Iberia and BA passengers had been sent through security and just left ... no representatives or anyone to tell them what was going on, or dish out meal vouchers etc. Just 'delayed' on the departures board!
Moral of the story is, if you can get there without changing, always do so
Old Jun 6th 2011, 2:18 pm
Small member

Location: Born in Barnsley, now in Stoke, heading to Cavafria
evilroyslade is an unknown quantity at this point

The Caxton card - don't you have to load it with Euros, so could end up costing more than the credit card fees you have avoided? If you could load it with £sterling and there is no fee, that would be worthwhile as the card I use (ICE) charges 2% to load it.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

cinzia is an unknown quantity at this point

I travel with Ryanair frequently and travel priority all the time, i agree there are no seats when you are in the priority queue but why not do what i do i use my suitcase as a seat!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.