Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Ryanair car rental - excess charges

Ryanair car rental - excess charges

Old Apr 19th 2016, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

AlandEve has a brilliant futureAlandEve has a brilliant futureAlandEve has a brilliant futureAlandEve has a brilliant futureAlandEve has a brilliant futureAlandEve has a brilliant future
Default Ryanair car rental - excess charges

I think of myself as a savvie traveller and have not been ripped off to many times, but having just returned from Esuri I fell foul of a Ryanair special that I wanted to make sure others don't experience.

Some golf buddie's and I came down for 5 days of golf and having booked our flights through Ryanair, they offered car hire at a reasonable rate. As the cost was divided by 3 and I was feeling lazy, I booked the car through Ryanair who then confirmed that the local partner was firefly car rental.

The Ryanair voucher came through with the usual 10 pages of terms and conditions that no-one has time to read .. picked up the car - not at P4 but near the Hertz rental car area.

There was a strong sell on upgrades, insurance and usual add-on's which I politely declined and then the bombshell hit .. my rental was for 5 days at 35km per day - with an excess charge of 0.30 cents per KM !!!

I thought about cancelling and walking over to P4 .. but of course I was now in my cancellation period .. so no choice .. we played golf in Spain and Portugal and racked up 550km - easily done ... so final mileage bill was in excess of 100 Euros - more than the initial rental and of course way more expensive than a P4 renter.

So to all fellow board members - don't book a car rental through Ryanair and if you do see Firefly appear as a "cheap, low cost rental" turn them down - use a P4 company.

Regards
Alandeve

PS Monte rei and Quinta Cima were stunning - perhaps I will write an updated golf course review when I get the time ..
Old Apr 19th 2016, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ryanair car rental - excess charges

Ow! I bet that stung. It's a new one to me, Car rentcos seem to be always trying to find new ways of screwing their customers. Thanks very much for flagging that one up. Karma given