Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Ryanair Car Hire

Ryanair Car Hire

Old Sep 12th 2010, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ryanair Car Hire

I was looking at car hire for the UK and Ryanair seem to beat the socks off anyone else but when it came to booking I couldn´t book on my credit card with my husband as the driver. I was told it is a "No, No". As he doesn´t have a credit card it means paying with his debit card. I prefer a credit card for the additional protection it gives you. This is via Hertz too. Just don´t understand the logic.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 2:32 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ryanair Car Hire

Most on line sites when buying most things will only allow you to purchase items for the credit card holder.

Have you tried for you as driver and hubby as additional driver?
Old Sep 12th 2010, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
Most on line sites when buying most things will only allow you to purchase items for the credit card holder.

Have you tried for you as driver and hubby as additional driver?
Not really Missile. I paid for two tickets with Ryanair for my son and his girlfriend so can´t see the difference. I am always buying things and having them sent to a different UK address. I would have liked to put myself down as an additional driver but they want 9 GBP a day.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 8:25 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

The reason for the credit card is so that any traffic infringement can be paid immediately they get the summons. A debit card can bounce but a credit card will have the credit limit ignored for traffic offences I believe

Davexf
Old Sep 12th 2010, 9:13 pm
BMP
Forum Regular

BMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to all

The reason they want credit cards over debit cards is due to freezing the excess on the account.

If someone has a 5k credit limit putting a pre-authorization through of 500 quid to cover the excess makes little difference.

The problem with debit cards is there no such thing as "pre-authorization" so basically the 500 quid has to come out of your account and be returned at the end of the rental. Which if you only have 1000 quid in you current account could be a major cashflow issue - and is more hassle for the rental car company.

It doesn't have anything to do with traffic infringements.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

One thing thats happend to me twice with Hertz is my debit card was debited 3 times for one rental period and then recredited a few days later! luckily there were funds in the account or I could have gone overdrawn as at one point they had 900 pounds of mine when only around 300 was due.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Any recommendations for UK car hire? They were okay to accept a debit card I just wasn´t happy to use one as long as it was in OH´s name.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure you check your credit card statement with Hertz.

A couple of occasions recently had me on the phone to them.
First time they charged me about £40 for non-existent damage.
Second time they charged me an extra £25 for fuel.

Both charges were refunded back onto my credit card with the usual "administration error" type excuse and a pathetic attempt at an appology.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine told me he had used this service and their hotels and saved a fortune. (Makes up for the add on's on the air tickets!)