Reload this Page >

Gibraltar: Primary schools

Gibraltar: Primary schools

Old Sep 3rd 2010, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

synthie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gibraltar: Primary schools

Hi,
we're looking into moving to Gibraltar and found that all schools are confession bound - catholic, jewish, etc.

Can anyone tell me if they take kids with no professed religion or is that going to be a problem? We tried to find primary school websites but if they had them they were out of date (last updated 2006).

We're likely to move in the middle of the school year, has anyone experience with getting their kids into a school in between terms?

Also, the spanish schools seem to have the very traditional approach of teacher in the front, kids sitting in a rows being "taught", rather than the more loose style that is nowadays the norm in the UK. Which style do the Gibraltar primary schools use?

Thanks for your help in advance!
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 4:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gibraltar: Primary schools

Originally Posted by synthie
Hi,
we're looking into moving to Gibraltar and found that all schools are confession bound - catholic, jewish, etc.

Can anyone tell me if they take kids with no professed religion
As education is compulsory they have no choice but to take resident children.

Hi,
We tried to find primary school websites but if they had them they were out of date (last updated 2006).
http://www.google.com/Top/Regional/E...tar/Education/

Sorry I can't answer your other questions

Last edited by Fredbargate; Sep 3rd 2010 at 4:46 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 4:40 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if they take kids with no professed religion or is that going to be a problem? We tried to find primary school websites but if they had them they were out of date (last updated 2006).

We're likely to move in the middle of the school year, has anyone experience with getting their kids into a school in between terms?

Also, the spanish schools seem to have the very traditional approach of teacher in the front, kids sitting in a rows being "taught", rather than the more loose style that is nowadays the norm in the UK. Which style do the Gibraltar primary schools use?

Thanks for your help in advance!
I can't help you with Gib schools, but if you do a search of the forum it has been discussed before - there's a search facility at the top of the page

my 2 joined Spanish state school in the middle of a school year without any problem - although we were lucky there were places in the school we wanted them to go to

they have both been in the state system for nearly 6 years now - in primary some teachers prefer rows of desks, some prefer 'around the table' some seem to move the furniture on a whim

in secondary school, yes, it's more formal, but I'd expect that anyway

one point - if you live in Gib your kids can't attend state school in Spain, but I think that if you live in Spain they can attend state school in Gib but you have to pay
Old Sep 13th 2010, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

Lazyred123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Gibraltar: Primary schools

Hi. I'm in same boat as you, were moving to gib in march next year, with three boys two I need to get into primary, reception class and year 4. I'm on the case of schools this week so anything I find out lie post on here for you.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, pretty, please.

I only found the website (that was up to date) of one school so far, let me know if you find out more.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

Are you looking for international or state school.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

I'm strictly looking for schools in Gibraltar now, so that would be state schools. We decided for the time being to work AND live in Gibraltar - ask me tomorrow it might be different again

I looked at international schools in Sotogrande and Estepona before but found that they are out of reach for our income.

The Spanish schools seem to have a very traditional, disciplined front teaching approach which I'd like to avoid. I might be wrong there but it's the information I got so far.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

Ive had a few correspondance with the international school in sotogrande, weren't great with information i must admit. Its very daunting isn't it. We've been the same, and yes like you today seems to be move to gib!! Im on it now, will let you know my finds tmw.