Rossetta Stone

Old May 20th 2010, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

MikeQuigley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Rossetta Stone

Originally Posted by savateur
Recently I've been looking into getting the Rossetta Stone, levels 1 - 5 package.

I have a few questions re the standard of Spanish I would gain through using the package, will it get me fluent, will I learn to read, and write with it, or is it purely oral ?

Is there any way to get a trial version of it, as it is quite exspensive ?

Just wondering if anyone on here has used it, and if so what their thoughs, opinions are of it.

I agree with those who have said that there is no substitute for hard work and for immersing yourself in Spanish as far as possible. I've used Rosetta and
it got me some of the way, but in the end there is no substitute for talking to a real person in Spanish. Back home, I was lucky to find a conversation class of only 6 people run by a professional teacher of Spanish. Over here, in Seville, I have 3 different partners for intercambio sessions, where you spend a couple of hours with someone who wants to improve their English. You take half the time speaking one language and then switch to the other. It's free, it's fun and you can make friends. If you, savateur, are in the UK, you may still be able to find Spanish people over there who would do intercambio with you. I can really recommend it.
Old May 21st 2010, 8:22 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MallorcaSue
Hi
I have the Rosetta Stone and i find it great. Not only does it teach you with pictures ( which i find is easier to remember) but it teaches you to type spanish, and it has a recordable voice so you can see if you are pronouncing it correctly. Dont know how it can be compared to BBC!!! its completley miles different.
( Plus if you know where to look you can get it for free!!! )
Yes, I got mine for free...
Old May 21st 2010, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

MikeQuigley is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bil8999
Hi to all
Out of interest what is the best way to learn the language apart from living there, private lessons, night class, cds?
Conversation level would be ok
Further thoughts: there is a website at:
http://www.newsinslowspanish.com/home.php
...where every week they do a 45 min podcast, containing dialogues on items of world news, Spanish grammar, Spanish phrases, and info on a selected Latin American country. They do it in nice slow clear Spanish. The website also wants to sell you a course, which is up to you, but the podcast is free.

Perhaps like me you find it hard because generally the Spanish speak so fast ! I find it helps if you can listen to a CD, or view a DVD, and slow it down. For CDs, you can do this in Windows Media Player. For DVDs, WMP won't do it, but there is an excellent alternative in opensource software, which you can download free off the web, at:
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
It is called VLC Media Player, and you can use it to play either CDs or DVDs and control the speed. E.g. I'm watching a Spanish soap (Amar en Tiempos Revueltos) on DVDs, and usually set the speed to 90% of normal, or 80% for a difficult passage.

Incidentally, if you think that Spanish is hard, listen to some of the questions that you get from an intercambio about English grammar and usage, and you realise how hard our own language is !
Old May 21st 2010, 4:52 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeQuigley
...where every week they do a 45 min podcast, containing dialogues on items of world news, Spanish grammar, Spanish phrases, and info on a selected Latin American country. They do it in nice slow clear Spanish. The website also wants to sell you a course, which is up to you, but the podcast is free.

Perhaps like me you find it hard because generally the Spanish speak so fast ! I find it helps if you can listen to a CD, or view a DVD, and slow it down. For CDs, you can do this in Windows Media Player. For DVDs, WMP won't do it, but there is an excellent alternative in opensource software, which you can download free off the web, at:
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
It is called VLC Media Player, and you can use it to play either CDs or DVDs and control the speed. E.g. I'm watching a Spanish soap (Amar en Tiempos Revueltos) on DVDs, and usually set the speed to 90% of normal, or 80% for a difficult passage.

Incidentally, if you think that Spanish is hard, listen to some of the questions that you get from an intercambio about English grammar and usage, and you realise how hard our own language is !
This is what we have to cope with when learning your language

http://www.mamalisa.com/blog/a-poem-...lish-language/

It is very well written and really amusing
Old May 21st 2010, 4:56 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

I have posted the peom as the author is unknown, so no copyright has been broken. I am sure the post will be deleted iF I am wrong.

We’ll begin with a box, and the plural is boxes;
But the plural of ox should be oxen not oxes.
One fowl is a goose, but two are called geese,
Yet the plural of moose should never be meese.

You may find a lone mouse or a nest full of mice,
But the plural of house is houses, not hice.
If the plural of man is always called men,
Why shouldn’t the plural of pan be called pen?

If I spoke of my foot and showed you my feet,
When I give you a boot, would a pair be called beet?
If one is a tooth and a whole set are teeth,
Why shouldn’t the plural of booth be called beeth?

If the singular is this, and the plural is these,
Why shouldn’t the plural of kiss be kese?
Then one may be that, and three would be those,
Yet the plural of hat would never be hose.

We speak of a brother and also of brethren,
But though we say mother, we never say methren.
So plurals in English, I think you’ll agree,
Are indeed very tricky, singularly.
Old May 21st 2010, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
I have posted the peom as the author is unknown, so no copyright has been broken. I am sure the post will be deleted iF I am wrong.

So plurals in English, I think you’ll agree,
Are indeed very tricky, singularly.
Tricky indeed. We all know that adding an "s" to some words make them plural. But sometimes adding another "s" makes them singular again.
One example is
  • prince
  • princes
  • princess

can you think of the others
Old May 22nd 2010, 10:52 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeQuigley
Very useful - thanks for that
Old May 22nd 2010, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by pete_l
Tricky indeed. We all know that adding an "s" to some words make them plural. But sometimes adding another "s" makes them singular again.
One example is
  • prince
  • princes
  • princess

can you think of the others
ogre
ogres
ogress
Old May 23rd 2010, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

wilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nice

If you want to save some money, you can always download all the levels for free, from filesharing sites, such as Pirate bay, then mount them using Alcohol120%, or other mounting software, then you can use them when ever you want. All for free.
Old May 23rd 2010, 10:54 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wilki
If you want to save some money, you can always download all the levels for free, from filesharing sites, such as Pirate bay, then mount them using Alcohol120%, or other mounting software, then you can use them when ever you want. All for free.
Have you read rule 3 ?
Old May 23rd 2010, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

What a brill poem of language use. I love Spanish but I have trouble with grammer and sentence formation, often in Spanish it appears the opposite way round ie coche grande, where we would say large car.

I also think sometimes we use English as it is easier than being embarrassed for getting it wrong, me I try the Spanish and fill the middle bits in, in English but I am getting there, have only been there 2 weeks and always use Spanish when ordering in shops even if I do get 200 grams of everything, lol, but love trying and always ask for the correct way to say something.
Old May 23rd 2010, 5:25 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Have you read rule 3 ?
I have which is why my post was written the way it was..
Old May 23rd 2010, 5:52 pm
around

w1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud of

My sis in law bought it, it's so good she never used it yet . that was more than a year ago.
Old May 23rd 2010, 6:29 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wilki
I think that if I had 120% alcohol then I'd pretty much mount anything.
Old May 23rd 2010, 6:30 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by w1ldcat
My sis in law bought it, it's so good she never used it yet . that was more than a year ago.
If she hasn't used it at all then this can't be any reflection on whether it's good or not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.