Rossetta Stone

Old Apr 20th 2010, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

savateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nice
Default Rossetta Stone

Recently I've been looking into getting the Rossetta Stone, levels 1 - 5 package.

I have a few questions re the standard of Spanish I would gain through using the package, will it get me fluent, will I learn to read, and write with it, or is it purely oral ?

Is there any way to get a trial version of it, as it is quite exspensive ?

Just wondering if anyone on here has used it, and if so what their thoughs, opinions are of it.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 5:55 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rossetta Stone

I saw part one on a friends PC and it didn`t look any better than the freebies on BBC etc, but maybe it improves in the higher versions.
It is big money so I would hope it did.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 6:01 am
Just Joined

MallorcaSue is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
I have the Rosetta Stone and i find it great. Not only does it teach you with pictures ( which i find is easier to remember) but it teaches you to type spanish, and it has a recordable voice so you can see if you are pronouncing it correctly. Dont know how it can be compared to BBC!!! its completley miles different.
( Plus if you know where to look you can get it for free!!! )
Old Apr 21st 2010, 6:31 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MallorcaSue
Hi
I have the Rosetta Stone and i find it great. Not only does it teach you with pictures ( which i find is easier to remember) but it teaches you to type spanish, and it has a recordable voice so you can see if you are pronouncing it correctly. Dont know how it can be compared to BBC!!! its completley miles different.
( Plus if you know where to look you can get it for free!!! )
As I said, exactly the same as some of the free sites setup.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

bil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant future

Hi to all
Out of interest what is the best way to learn the language apart from living there, private lessons, night class, cds?
Conversation level would be ok
Old Apr 21st 2010, 6:59 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil8999
Hi to all
Out of interest what is the best way to learn the language apart from living there, private lessons, night class, cds?
Conversation level would be ok

I dont think that it is the method used that counts, it would be more a matter of hours you put into it.

A class of 2 hours a week, would take forever, but practising everyday would acheive better results.

When I was learning English and I was alone walking along the street, I used to say in my head, what I was doing or seeing in that exact moment.

eg: I can see a dog, I am buying sweets, I am walking fast, I am scratching my head. etc.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 7:00 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
I dont think that it is the method used that counts, it would be more a matter of hours you put into it.

A class of 2 hours a week, would take forever, but practising everyday would acheive better results.

When I was learning English and I was alone walking along the street, I used to say in my head, what I was doing or seeing in that exact moment.

eg: I can see a dog, I am buying sweets, I am walking fast, I am scratching my head. etc.
what a good idea
Old Apr 21st 2010, 7:04 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
what a good idea
I do have my moments you know, or should I say I have had my moments, because I dont do that now.......
Old Apr 21st 2010, 7:08 pm
Banned

I can still remember the day when the bell on my bike came off. The screw had worked lose and fell.

I went to the bike shope to get it sorted, and told the assistant, that i needed a screw in on my bike.

I had no idea what they found so funny....
Old Apr 21st 2010, 7:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Yes exactly, I used to do that too.

If you are comitted and hard working then you can learn Spanish on your own with just one or two books and someone to practise on. Very few people are that comitted though
Old Apr 21st 2010, 8:37 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I remember when I was living in Benidorm and I suddenly decided that my Spanish needed to be much better than it was. Funnily enough I had a decent start, my immediate neighbours were all Spanish.

I only watched Spanish TV, left the radio on a Spanish station all day, went to advanced Spanish lessons, only went to Spanish bars and restaurants, and refused to speak English to anyone. I forced myself to read a Spanish newspaper every day and started reading a Spanish book.

I managed to keep it up for several months and emerged as a pretty fluent Spanish speaker, after years of trying.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I remember when I was living in Benidorm and I suddenly decided that my Spanish needed to be much better than it was. Funnily enough I had a decent start, my immediate neighbours were all Spanish.

I only watched Spanish TV, left the radio on a Spanish station all day, went to advanced Spanish lessons, only went to Spanish bars and restaurants, and refused to speak English to anyone. I forced myself to read a Spanish newspaper every day and started reading a Spanish book.

I managed to keep it up for several months and emerged as a pretty fluent Spanish speaker, after years of trying.
That's the way to do it!
Old Apr 21st 2010, 9:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Agree, my neighbour has been attending classes, an hour and a half a week, for a couple of years, and can still hardly string a sentence together.
Read the results of an intensive survey once, and their staggering conclusion was the more time you dedicated to language learning, the better the results! Unless you are really gifted, IMHO there are no real short cuts, it's simply a lot of hard work. Personally rather than spend hundreds on a course, I'd try and find a good Spanish teacher, get some one to one classes(or small number classes). I always suggest skype, try and find someone wanting to learn English (there are loads of people wanting to swap classes) and chat online. As others have said, loads of Spanish TV, papers, podcasts etc easily available, and free! I don't see the need to pay for courses like Rosetta Stone nowadays.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 10:12 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Rosetta seems to spend a lot on advertising Most of those type of courses generally finish up in a drawer They are no substitute for proper lessons. I agree about being immersed in the language but there does have to be some formal learning in the beginning.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

savateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nice

Starting to think that maybe, Rosetta Stone is a bit pricey. I'm not too bad at Spanish at the moment, reading writing, and speaking, so will probably go down the route of total immersion outlined above by HBG.

Also I've decided to do a BA Modern Languages with the OU. Sort of though, if I need a new language, I may as well get a marketable qualification as well !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.