British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Roads: Valencia / Zaragoza / Bilbao (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/roads-valencia-zaragoza-bilbao-644940/)

Mitzyboy Dec 20th 2009 12:11 am

Re: Roads: Valencia / Zaragoza / Bilbao

Well ...... it appears there was a force 9 gale en route on the ferry, but I must have slept through it, so no problem there!

Despite concerns about snow in the UK, didnt see any ...... until we came to umload th car and then it came down thick, but not for long

So after all the worry it was a pretty uneventful trip!

lynnxa Dec 20th 2009 5:12 am

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 8186279)
Well ...... it appears there was a force 9 gale en route on the ferry, but I must have slept through it, so no problem there!

Despite concerns about snow in the UK, didnt see any ...... until we came to umload th car and then it came down thick, but not for long

So after all the worry it was a pretty uneventful trip!

:thumbsup:

when do you do the return trip?

just so that we can order up a force 10:lol:

DENISE WALTERS Dec 23rd 2009 5:20 pm

Like the avatar:rofl:Feliz Navadad to you :rofl:

Ex-pat Dec 26th 2009 5:46 pm

We will be doing the same journey next week. Not looking forward to it.

Off topic: Does anyone know of a good,cheap-ish hotel in or near Bilbao?

Thanks

Mitzyboy Dec 27th 2009 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Ex-pat (Post 8197992)
We will be doing the same journey next week. Not looking forward to it.

Off topic: Does anyone know of a good,cheap-ish hotel in or near Bilbao?

Thanks

I know of an extremely good one just a couple of kms from the port, next to the transporter bridge HERE

It cost €70 if you book it through www.booking.com, but bear in mind if you cant find a street parking space you have to pay for the undergound secure parking

It may be more than you were budgeting for but its right in the centre of Portugalete old town and its worth it!

SHERGAR Dec 29th 2009 5:51 pm

Thanks for that Mitzyboy.

We had a look at the place but have decided to book a hotel in Ortuella because of easier parking. (Shergar is disabled and has just had his 9th heart attack so can't walk very far).

We will let you know what the place was like on our return.

I am dreading the journey, especially the crossing and I praying for no wind and a flat as a mirror sea. Then I am hoping for a warm wind from the Sahara so all the snow melts in UK before we get there.

(one may live in hope)

:fingerscrossed:

Mitzyboy Dec 29th 2009 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by SHERGAR (Post 8204161)
Thanks for that Mitzyboy.

We had a look at the place but have decided to book a hotel in Ortuella because of easier parking. (Shergar is disabled and has just had his 9th heart attack so can't walk very far).

We will let you know what the place was like on our return.

I am dreading the journey, especially the crossing and I praying for no wind and a flat as a mirror sea. Then I am hoping for a warm wind from the Sahara so all the snow melts in UK before we get there.

(one may live in hope)

:fingerscrossed:

No probs, although parking at that hotel is right under the hotel, served by a lift.

I'm sure the crossing will be fine. We've used it a few times, and its been fairly smooth

SHERGAR Jan 20th 2010 9:21 pm

Just arrived back home.

The crossing towards UK was fine, arrival in UK was a white welcome and we stuck it out for nearly 3 weeks! :eek:

Glad to be back although our return was Portsmouth to St Malo and then a long drive through France (no snow but thick fog).

Just wonder if someone on this forum (driving a red nifty car) came back on the same boat (we left Portsmouth on sunday night) as we kept on overtaking it and then they overtook us. Even after an overnight stop we saw them again on the road between Pamplona and Zaragossa. Two lovely looking ladies, and we never got to talk to one another. If you are out there and reading this, please give us a wave? :cool: