British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Roads: Valencia / Zaragoza / Bilbao (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/roads-valencia-zaragoza-bilbao-644940/)

Mitzyboy Dec 15th 2009 5:55 pm

Roads: Valencia / Zaragoza / Bilbao

Can anyone give me news on what the roads are like at the moment or point me to something online that can give me latest news?

I heard that this morning the main road up towards Teruel was blocked.

Carol&John Dec 15th 2009 5:59 pm

Re: Roads: Valencia / Zaragoza / Bilbao

Hi,
Have a look here:
http://www.dgt.es/portal/informacion...incidencias.do

Carol

steviedeluxe Dec 15th 2009 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Carol&John (Post 8175197)

No snow problems currently in Madrid province according to that. Probably best to drive via Madrid to Bilbao?

Mitzyboy Dec 15th 2009 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe (Post 8175305)
No snow problems currently in Madrid province according to that. Probably best to drive via Madrid to Bilbao?

Thanks S, but I prefer to go the way I know if I can, which is all motorway / major roads, so I am assuming clear. Going via madrid is an extra 120 odd kms, and according to Viamichelin another 1.5 hours.
:fingerscrossed:

steviedeluxe Dec 15th 2009 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 8175322)
Thanks S, but I prefer to go the way I know if I can, which is all motorway / major roads, so I am assuming clear. Going via madrid is an extra 120 odd kms, and according to Viamichelin another 1.5 hours.
:fingerscrossed:

Well fair enough, snow forecast in more areas by tomorrow anyway. Hope your route clears up. Good luck!

Mitzyboy Dec 15th 2009 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe (Post 8175423)
Well fair enough, snow forecast in more areas by tomorrow anyway. Hope your route clears up. Good luck!

In which case I may well end up taking the long route :D

Dick Dasterdly Dec 16th 2009 12:06 am

Don't forget your Snowchains and a Shovel, Mitzy.
Oh, and maybe a few sarnies and a flask of hot coffee as well.
Just never know,....could be a while before they find you if you get stuck in a snowdrift!
Best of luck.......:ohmy:

HBG Dec 16th 2009 4:51 am

Watching the Spanish news channels, I wouldn’t attempt that journey at this time, you’d be driving right through the most affected areas. The police won’t even let you go on to some of those roads unless you have chains and a full tank of petrol. Can’t you put the journey off?

lynnxa Dec 16th 2009 6:11 am

Originally Posted by HBG (Post 8176441)
Watching the Spanish news channels, I wouldn’t attempt that journey at this time, you’d be driving right through the most affected areas. The police won’t even let you go on to some of those roads unless you have chains and a full tank of petrol. Can’t you put the journey off?

I was about to say the same thing having seen the news the past few days

I have a sneaky suspicion that Mitz can't put it off though;)

maybe you should start off a couple of days early mitz & plan for a couple of ovenight stays on the way?

and definitely don't forget the snow chains - there is more snow forecast for just about the entire country today

Mitzyboy Dec 16th 2009 7:32 am

Can’t you put the journey off?

Unfortunately I can't. As the route may suggest, I'm running for a ferry.
However, as I mentioned, the route is mainly motorway all the way. Are the motorways not clear?

lynnxa Dec 16th 2009 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 8176630)
Unfortunately I can't. As the route may suggest, I'm running for a ferry.
However, as I mentioned, the route is mainly motorway all the way. Are the motorways not clear?

have a look at that DGT link, you can look at the latest conditions on the roads there

EsuriJohn Dec 16th 2009 8:14 am

Are snow Chains a mandatory requirement at this time of year and do you have to carry a fullset or just for the driving wheels?

lynnxa Dec 16th 2009 8:19 am

Originally Posted by John & Kath (Post 8176691)
Are snow Chains a mandatory requirement at this time of year and do you have to carry a fullset or just for the driving wheels?

on the news they are saying not to leave home without them, in affected areas

don't know if they're mandatory, but looking at some of the roads you wouldn't get far without them:eek::eek:

EsuriJohn Dec 16th 2009 8:28 am

Hi Mitzy,

Last year in late jan we travelled down from eurotunnel just in front of the snow plume that stopped UK for 3 weeks it reached us just as we crossed the Spanish border. We were amazed at the preparation. About every mile from the border to south of Burgos they had a gritter with snow plough parked up in the central reservation ready to go in either direction as the snow arrived. Contrast that with UK where the ploughs could not get onto the roads since they were already blocked by stranded cars at the first flakes. Spain does some things good!

Mitzyboy Dec 16th 2009 9:17 am

Originally Posted by lynnxa (Post 8176704)
on the news they are saying not to leave home without them, in affected areas

don't know if they're mandatory, but looking at some of the roads you wouldn't get far without them:eek::eek:

Just spoken to a haulier (way2go) who uses the routes regularly and who is also doing this run tomorrow. The national routes and toll roads are kept quite clear with snow plows hitting them all the time. Its when you go off the main national roads that problems happen
Even so, I have booked a hotel in Bilbao and am driving during the day tomorrow instead of leaving it overnight.
Temperatures have dropped here and we just had a flurry of snow