British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Roads: Valencia / Zaragoza / Bilbao (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/roads-valencia-zaragoza-bilbao-644940/)

lynnxa Dec 16th 2009 9:36 am

Re: Roads: Valencia / Zaragoza / Bilbao

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 8176808)
Just spoken to a haulier (way2go) who uses the routes regularly and who is also doing this run tomorrow. The national routes and toll roads are kept quite clear with snow plows hitting them all the time. Its when you go off the main national roads that problems happen
Even so, I have booked a hotel in Bilbao and am driving during the day tomorrow instead of leaving it overnight.
Temperatures have dropped here and we just had a flurry of snow

it feels pretty cold here too - & the sky looks 'snowy' but I bet we don't get any

dd1 really wants a snowball fight - she's old enough to remember them

I've been watching TV1 all morning & all they are talking about is the snow - but you're right, they are very good with the grit & snowploughs on the motorways

at this moment they are showing Burgos where they have tons of snow & it's -5 and somewhere near Guadalajara where it's -16!

take your time - best idea to have the hotel booked

paintermujer Dec 16th 2009 9:49 am

The very best of luck on the journey which is long at the best of times.

Mitzyboy Dec 16th 2009 10:55 am

If I can find free wifi I'll update on how we get on! :lol:

lynnxa Dec 16th 2009 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 8176997)
If I can find free wifi I'll update on how we get on! :lol:

:thumbsup:and lots of snowy photos

Mitzyboy Dec 16th 2009 5:54 pm

In my search for weather details I came accross this site, well worth a look
Some of you probably know it

http://www.eltiempo.es/

Dick Dasterdly Dec 16th 2009 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 8177781)
In my search for weather details I came accross this site, well worth a look
Some of you probably know it

http://www.eltiempo.es/

Nice one Mitzy.
Shall certainly use it as a guide before I set off down via Pamplona,Zaragosa and Teruel.

Mitzyboy Dec 17th 2009 8:14 pm

Good evening peeps!

Just to tell you I am now in the lobby of the Grand Hotel Puente Colgante at Portugalete, on the river just by the Vizcaya Bridge.

I travelled up during the day due to worries about the weather. There was a lot of snow in places, but the only place it was reallty heavy was just North of Zaragoza. The main roads other than that were completely free, and there were a lot of snow ploughs around keeping them so.

So unless there is a lot of snow over the next few days I'd say you are fairly safe in travelling in the area on the national roads and tolls.

Just had a nice meal ... dorada washed down with a nice rioja. Its the vomit express for me tomorrow at midday I'm afraid :lol:

EsuriJohn Dec 17th 2009 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 8181116)
Good evening peeps!

Just to tell you I am now in the lobby of the Grand Hotel Puente Colgante at Portugalete, on the river just by the Vizcaya Bridge.

I travelled up during the day due to worries about the weather. There was a lot of snow in places, but the only place it was reallty heavy was just North of Zaragoza. The main roads other than that were completely free, and there were a lot of snow ploughs around keeping them so.

So unless there is a lot of snow over the next few days I'd say you are fairly safe in travelling in the area on the national roads and tolls.

Just had a nice meal ... dorada washed down with a nice rioja. Its the vomit express for me tomorrow at midday I'm afraid :lol:

Kath sends her heartfelt sympathy there and back once never again. She was very poorly in both directions and the crew said it was flat calm!

HBG Dec 17th 2009 9:00 pm

I didn’t envy you your drive to Bilbao and I’m pleased it went OK. I do envy you your boat trip, I’ve done it a few times and I love it. Look out for the whales on the bay of Biscay.

jimmbo Dec 17th 2009 9:17 pm

Mitzy,

There should be snow to greet you at Pompy. It's forcast for the south starting at 3am.

PM me for my mobile, if you need shelter.

J

Mykap Dec 18th 2009 5:57 am

Great thread with excellent links!

I am travelling down from the UK on the 22nd/23rd intending to use the Le Mans - Tours - Poitiers - Angoulême - Bordeaux - Biarritz - border - San Sebastian - Pamplona - Zaragoza - Teruel - Valencia - Javea route.

I use toll roads/autovia routes only but was concerned about crossing the Pyrenees in my rear wheel drive car. I will use these sites to make the decision in Bordeaux (overnighting there) whether to go via Biarritz or Toulouse.

Thanks for the thread!

:thumbup:

lynnxa Dec 18th 2009 6:02 am

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 8181116)
Good evening peeps!

glad you made it mitz - & a good noght in the hotel wll set you up for the vomit express

now you just have to get through the snowy roads in the UK - & I bet they're not as well-gritted!

montgomail Dec 18th 2009 6:22 am

A decent blanket of snow awaits you in the Midlands, Mitz!

jdr Dec 18th 2009 6:25 am

Is Mitzy really Father Christmas delivering the goodies ?
I thought he flew over the snow.

EsuriJohn Dec 18th 2009 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Mykap (Post 8182136)
Great thread with excellent links!

I am travelling down from the UK on the 22nd/23rd intending to use the Le Mans - Tours - Poitiers - Angoulême - Bordeaux - Biarritz - border - San Sebastian - Pamplona - Zaragoza - Teruel - Valencia - Javea route.

I use toll roads/autovia routes only but was concerned about crossing the Pyrenees in my rear wheel drive car. I will use these sites to make the decision in Bordeaux (overnighting there) whether to go via Biarritz or Toulouse.

Thanks for the thread!

:thumbup:

Thats the route we use about as far as Burgos then we keep heading west as far as Salamanca then south to Seville and west again to Ayamonte. As I said in my previous post we did this last January and were so impressed by the preparations of the road maintenance people. I think you plan is just about right but I might plan an overnight just over the border at Irun then head along the coast road a bit before turning south,