Road accident

Old Mar 29th 2015, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Road accident

My car was damaged in an accident this week. It wasn't my fault and the other driver has admitted liability. I have lived here in Spain for 14 years and this is my first experience of an accident during this time.
I have fully comprehensive insurance and reported it to my insurance company the following morning and had the repair procedure outlined to me.
When I queried if I was entitled to a loan car for the repair period I was told that no insurance companies provide this in Spain and "it's not the same as in your home country"! I was then told that I could have a loan car option on policy renewal and the was about 30 - 40 Euros extra. I wasn't aware of this option and it's never been offered to me and seems to contradict the earlier statement.
So now I'm faced with having pay for a loan car for the period of the repair even though the accident wasn't my fault.
Many years ago in the UK my parked car was damaged by another vehicle and immediately my insurance company put in me in touch with a company which gave me a car for the period my car was off the road. They would then bill the other driver's insurance company for the cost.
So be beware of the above and I would suggest you check if you have loan car cover as, if your car is off the road for a long time, then it might be a very expensive experience if you want to stay mobile!

Old Mar 29th 2015, 1:09 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Road accident

You were not injured(?) that is the most important thing.
Old Mar 29th 2015, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

We are with Linea Directa and the loan car is part of their comprehensive cover! Also vehicle recovery if it can't be driven and onwards travel arrangement to reach your destination if far from home. As one of our friends found out, they will even send out a breakdown truck to change a puncture at no loading to your next annual payment.
Old Mar 29th 2015, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by missile
You were not injured(?) that is the most important thing.
Yes you're correct of course, but when it wasn't my your fault and I pay for insurance, it's a bit annoying to say the least that it's going to cost me money nevertheless.
Oh well-

Old Mar 29th 2015, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
We are with Linea Directa and the loan car is part of their comprehensive cover! Also vehicle recovery if it can't be driven and onwards travel arrangement to reach your destination if far from home. As one of our friends found out, they will even send out a breakdown truck to change a puncture at no loading to your next annual payment.
So am I. Mmmmm....think a phone call is required.
Thanks for your post.
Old Mar 29th 2015, 2:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Car Insurance

Hire Car Cover. If your vehicle is damaged or lost as a result of a road traffic accident or theft which is covered under the terms of your policy we will cover the cost for you to hire an alternative vehicle (subject to limits specified in your policy).
Old Mar 29th 2015, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Car Insurance

Hire Car Cover. If your vehicle is damaged or lost as a result of a road traffic accident or theft which is covered under the terms of your policy we will cover the cost for you to hire an alternative vehicle (subject to limits specified in your policy).
Thanks for that, appreciated. Think I've been misled or misled myself more likely
For the past few years when my third party policy was due for renewal, a phone call to LD and a bit of haggling would usually result in a discount of the premium.
Anyway, about three years ago, they responded to my renewal haggling by offering me an upgrade to "fully comprehensive" cover at no extra cost. Consequently, each renewal sent to me since then has been accompanied by a "certificate" informing me that as a loyal, accident free (!!) customer my policy was now fully comprehensive.
Just dug out my policy document and it's still the same one I had before for third party. Other than the so-called certificate I have no actual terms of my comprehensive insurance, so there is no Hire Car Cover mentioned in what I have.
Seems that my comprehensive cover is not as comprehensive as I thought. So much for "fully".
Think a phone call is still necessary to clarify though.
As they say, if it seems too good to be true............
Thanks again.
Old Mar 29th 2015, 3:12 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The LD deal on third party insurance usually includes one "comprehensive" claim in the year. The proviso is that another car needs to have been involved - if you drive into a tree you are not covered.

I changed down to third party on one of my cars this year and that is what they offered.
Old Mar 29th 2015, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fred James
The LD deal on third party insurance usually includes one "comprehensive" claim in the year. The proviso is that another car needs to have been involved - if you drive into a tree you are not covered.

I changed down to third party on one of my cars this year and that is what they offered.
Thanks Fred, yes, that's what my fully comprehensive certificate says. But, my "problem" is I don't have all the full terms and condition of the comprehensive bit as I have for third party cover.
I can't see how there can be fully comprehensive cover and a also a lower level of fully comprehensive cover.
When you were offered the additional cover over and above the third party cover, did you also get a booklet of "General Conditions" detailing your comprehensive cover?
Can you give me the relevant section number(s) for Car Hire Cover so that I can quote this to them when I give them a call?
Thanks.
Old Mar 29th 2015, 3:43 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you should compare the special offer to fully comprehensive insurance. A fully comp policy will offer car hire under special conditions, but I don't think the "special offer" would include all the other extras that you get with a fully comprehensive policy.

What they are saying is that if you damage your car in an accident and it's your fault, they will cover, as a once off, the damage to your car - nothing more.
Old Mar 29th 2015, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biffta
My car was damaged in an accident this week. It wasn't my fault and the other driver has admitted liability. I have lived here in Spain for 14 years and this is my first experience of an accident during this time.
I have fully comprehensive insurance and reported it to my insurance company the following morning and had the repair procedure outlined to me.
When I queried if I was entitled to a loan car for the repair period I was told that no insurance companies provide this in Spain and "it's not the same as in your home country"! I was then told that I could have a loan car option on policy renewal and the was about 30 - 40 Euros extra. I wasn't aware of this option and it's never been offered to me and seems to contradict the earlier statement.
So now I'm faced with having pay for a loan car for the period of the repair even though the accident wasn't my fault.
Many years ago in the UK my parked car was damaged by another vehicle and immediately my insurance company put in me in touch with a company which gave me a car for the period my car was off the road. They would then bill the other driver's insurance company for the cost.
So be beware of the above and I would suggest you check if you have loan car cover as, if your car is off the road for a long time, then it might be a very expensive experience if you want to stay mobile!

Have you tried asking the garage where your car is being repaired if they have a car you can borrow. We had to get our Hyundai car repaired (new engine), which took about four weeks, at a Ford garage and they were only to happy to lend us a car for the duration - all we had to pay for was the diesel. Mind you the doors would not lock and the windows would not go down but it was better than nothing.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fred James
I don't think you should compare the special offer to fully comprehensive insurance. A fully comp policy will offer car hire under special conditions, but I don't think the "special offer" would include all the other extras that you get with a fully comprehensive policy.

What they are saying is that if you damage your car in an accident and it's your fault, they will cover, as a once off, the damage to your car - nothing more.
You're likely to be correct I think.
Difference is and one that makes me annoyed somewhat is that it's not my fault and the claim will be against the other insurance company.
Thanks.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by battlezone123
Have you tried asking the garage where your car is being repaired if they have a car you can borrow. We had to get our Hyundai car repaired (new engine), which took about four weeks, at a Ford garage and they were only to happy to lend us a car for the duration - all we had to pay for was the diesel. Mind you the doors would not lock and the windows would not go down but it was better than nothing.
Thanks for that, appreciated.