Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Rip off garages

Rip off garages

Old Jul 2nd 2012, 12:07 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rip off garages

Originally Posted by Rotor
Most people don't understand the difference between pattern and genuine /original parts and this includes Spanish mechanics, pattern are usually much cheaper but generally inferior and have a much shorter life span , OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) is always best to go for ,these parts as the name says are made by the same factory who make them for your car manufacturer , they dont come in a genuine parts box but often cost a fraction of the main agent price but are identical in every way including build quality.
Buy parts off ebay at your peril - "none branded" parts are 99% of the time Chinese **ap and wont last , one very important area not to skimp on is filters , there are many Chinese manufacturers who churn out very low quality filters which can really shorten your engines life span.
The consequences of buying cheap brake,steering and suspension components goes without saying
would also suggest the same for oils and fluids etc
have seen some oil that was black but wouldnt stain a white shirt, what use is it in the engine.?
and as to brake fluids - having just been up to Competa and a couple of other places at 1.2miles above sea level its a good job I have manufacturers servicing.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
would also suggest the same for oils and fluids etc
have seen some oil that was black but wouldnt stain a white shirt, what use is it in the engine.?
and as to brake fluids - having just been up to Competa and a couple of other places at 1.2miles above sea level its a good job I have manufacturers servicing.
Most Spanish garages idea of servicing is to simply change the oil and filter , nothing else checked !

It`s also worth noting that cars need brake fluid changes around every three years , failure to do so can result in the fluid boiling causing fading or total failure ! not what you want on some of Spain's mountain roads!
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

nogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Difficult to know which garages, if any, you can trust these days.

Quite often the bigger concerns are the worst, as in the UK regarding the Kwik-fit scam for example, which was taking place a while back nationwide, maybe still is,who knows.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/.../kwik_fit.html

Fortunately I've had little need in recent years, sticking mainly to S.Korean built motors with five or seven year guarantees.
I have one now in semi-retirement which has pounded the European roads north to south, from Scandinavia to the Med, for the last seven years.

Never needed a single repair and never had an official service other than such basics as oil and filter changes and check overs done mostly by myself.
Are you willing to tell all, which S. Korean motor you have? I too have come to believe that they are the best and am looking to buy one. Thanks.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 10:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nogard
Are you willing to tell all, which S. Korean motor you have? I too have come to believe that they are the best and am looking to buy one. Thanks.
I have a Galloper built by Hyundai 12 years with minimal problems.
I would buy another if they were still available.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nogard
Originally Posted by Fredbargate
I have a Galloper built by Hyundai 12 years with minimal problems.
I would buy another if they were still available.
Having been in the trade I see them as okay , no more , spares rarely interchange with Mitsubishi pattern/OEM stuff as many believe and can be very expensive and difficult to obtain in some cases .

Go for Jap every time , no one builds 4x4s better , Toyota , Mitsubishi ,Nissan ,Isuzu ,daihatsu in that order , but remember that there is/was no daihatsu concessionaire in Spain and at the same time only Spain seems to have Galloper.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 10:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
at the same time only Spain seems to have Galloper.
Plus Portugal and Gibraltar
Quinton Hazell list parts for Galloper.