Reload this Page >

Gibraltar: consider relocationg there

Gibraltar: consider relocationg there

Old Jul 3rd 2012, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

andreamoro is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Gibraltar: consider relocationg there

Hello buddies,

I'm considering to relocate to Gibraltar with my family. We currently live in UK, and we are concerned about what we will get once there.

Provided we are still evaluating how much this will be feasible, what we are mainly concerned about is:

- Cost of the life. In particular houses looks tremendously expensive. Are Brits living in Spain and crossing the border on a daily basis or what?

- Schools: our daughter will start year 4 next september. I read something on the Gbraltar schools, but what is the best way to apply for a slot? How much far away a family can reside from the school?

I'd like to read about everything you think it may be useful to know on this specific stage.

Many thanks.
Andrea
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 3:59 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gibraltar: consider relocationg there

Gib property is expensive cos its not got a lot of space. Most properties are apartments. The cost of living isnt that bad tho. Petrol, cigarettes and booze are cheaper, food is roughly the same as the UK.

Alot of folk go across the border from Spain to Gib to work, but the border is horrendously busy and at peak times it can take several hours to cross (really! I've been sat there for 4 hours - theres even a paperman who walks around selling newspapers!!). Also, if you dont actually live in Gibraltar, you have to pay for your daughter to attend the schools there.

Before you do anything, you should go over and have a good look around and get a feel for what life maybe like

Jo xxx
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

andreamoro is an unknown quantity at this point

It sounds awkward living outside the border then. Any suggestion on some real estate agent just to start digging on the price?
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 4:16 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andreamoro
It sounds awkward living outside the border then. Any suggestion on some real estate agent just to start digging on the price?
Not really. I only ever visited Gib a few times to get cheap supplies lol!! theres a great big Morrisons store there!! You need to google and to visit!! But there are many people who live in La Linear where the border is and further afield who commute across every day

jo xxx
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 4:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Hi andreamoro

If you go into the FREE BEER section near the top of the main page and scroll down to the bottom you will see many links to Gibraltar.