Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Right time to move

Right time to move

Old Jun 9th 2007, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

Jondee is just really niceJondee is just really niceJondee is just really niceJondee is just really niceJondee is just really niceJondee is just really niceJondee is just really niceJondee is just really nice
Default Right time to move

Option one:
Fly over 25th June for 2 weeks, hire a car, meet my rental agent, find mi casa, pay the 2 months deposit and 1 months rent, get to know the town (Alhaurin el grande) and introduce myself to the local peeps, check out any chance of a job, bar work etc. Return on 9th July

Commitments in UK:
Daughters 18th Birthday on 12th July, big party on 14th.
Job to do on 20th July, (paid for)

Fly back to my new home on 23rd July to settle in to mi casa, get to know the town more, socialize as only the Spanish and expats can, spend 4 weeks there before I have to fly back for another two jobs I have booked on 19th and 25th August. Do the business and fly back end of August FOR GOOD!

Option two:
Wait until end of August before I go at all!!

This is what everybody else is telling me to do. The reason for wanting to go over now is that I feel there would be more casual work available now than there will be at the end of August. I intend to set up business amongst the expats, but will be hoping for any kind of work to keep me going until I get established. I have much experience in all kinds of work, bar work, door security, general building work, retail work, anything!

Although it would be difficult to get a job if I will be flying back home a couple of times, if I can at least get myself known and sort out the chance of work then it will make it easier for me in August. My Daughter is adamant that she is moving over with me and will probably join me end of August, so a job for her is also needed.

Problems with option one is the cost of travelling so much, I have to look at the pros and cons and the obvious con is the £200/£300 or even £400 extra in flights, depleating my already small budget. I originaly thought I would have a budget to survive for a few months, but this is becoming dificult and my whole survival may depend on me gaining employment ASAP! which sounds like a big risk.

Other things to consider:

Exchange rate. Is this usually better at the end of August?

On long term rentals, if they are asking 600 Euros pm now for an 11 month contract, would the price go down in August/September for the same contract?

I have been considering this move for a long time and have researched and considered everything and my mind is made up,

It's just a matter of timing!
Old Jun 9th 2007, 12:08 pm
Young at heart

jandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Right time to move

Personally I would wait until the end of August,instead of having all that expenditure could you not find some extra work here until then,you say your budget is tight so its better to hang on to what you have until you move for good,its only a few weeks,and all that money you would of spent on flights etc going backwards and forwards will come in more useful in the long term. that is what I would do for what its worth.What with renting a car and living expenses you could easily run away with a few hundred pounds,nope Id stop here first.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

skippernicky is on a distinguished road

we were also considering taking a trip to set things up and then return to the Uk for a few weeks to tie up loose ends. Our initial reason for this was that if we didn't find a suitable business we could return and continue in the UK for a short while and try later.
However after considering costs of flying in and out, Renting somehere in the UK, Car hire etc, We have decided to move straight away, rent somewhere by the month (Holiday lets), Comparing the 2 costs we calculate we can live in spain for around 3 months for the same money. This will also give us more time to set things up (NIE, gestor, Bank accounts etc), and allow us to do a more detailed search for our business.
Less stress, No time restrictions (within reason) and no additional cost. Makes sense for us
Old Jun 10th 2007, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Lis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to all

IMO, wait till end August. Rentals etc should be cheaper and be more choice as any landlord offering a long let from now has not been able to let for August for some reason. Workwise, I would think that people would look more seriously at employing you when you can give full commitment rather than be disappearing back to UK. Save the money on the flights. There might be more work around in August but it´s probably only temporary work and there´s a lot of competition from other people thinking the same. September is a lovely month to arrive, a bit cooler too.
Old Jun 10th 2007, 4:05 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

We came out in October. I flew / drove back in November, December & January.

If you're on a tight budget then wait till august. You'll negate any gains on gaining work in travelling costs if you come out earlier.

Rate of Exchange? Your guess is as good as anyones I'm afraid, who can tell what it will be in August
Old Jun 10th 2007, 9:41 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

For what my opinion is worth I would wait until the end of August, there will be much more to choose from in the way of good accommodation to rent and I'm sure you could get a better rate after the holiday period is over.

By going back and forth as often as you have said could run into at least 1K as fares are going to be high the nearer the time you want to travel, car hire, renting an apartment this all adds up. Also there will be everyone and his brother looking for summer jobs, if they have not already gone as I am sure many of the decent jobs would have been filled by now and if you can not commit to working all summer then I am sure someone else will.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

Jondee is just really niceJondee is just really niceJondee is just really niceJondee is just really niceJondee is just really niceJondee is just really niceJondee is just really niceJondee is just really nice

Gracias todos para sus opiniones.

I guess the idea of me going in June was a little optimistic and was based on the fact I have become very impatient and just want to be there!

The jobs I have in August have been booked over the last few weeks and I was thinking well I'l be in Spain then but will just have to fly back to do these jobs, my daughters birthday didnt even come into it as I thought well she can fly here for her birthday and live it up on the costa, what better way to turn 18! but she has decided to have a big party in her honour, in her town, with her mates, with my money, god bless her.

ANYWAY.....

Been offered some work here for a few weeks, so have decided to go early September. Will consentrate on getting as much money behind me, planning everything to perfection and keep on learning the lingo.

Hasta septiembre mis amigos españoles!

viva este foro!

saludos
Old Jun 11th 2007, 10:52 am
Young at heart

jandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jondee
Been offered some work here for a few weeks, so have decided to go early September. Will consentrate on getting as much money behind me, planning everything to perfection and keep on learning the lingo.

Hasta septiembre mis amigos españoles!

viva este foro!

saludos
Hey Jondee,looks like fate has taken you in hand,you do right taking on the extra work here..........good luck
Old Jun 11th 2007, 6:53 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Option one:
Fly over 25th June for 2 weeks, hire a car, meet my rental agent, find mi casa, pay the 2 months deposit and 1 months rent, get to know the town (Alhaurin el grande) and introduce myself to the local peeps, check out any chance of a job, bar work etc. Return on 9th July

Commitments in UK:
Daughters 18th Birthday on 12th July, big party on 14th.
Job to do on 20th July, (paid for)

Fly back to my new home on 23rd July to settle in to mi casa, get to know the town more, socialize as only the Spanish and expats can, spend 4 weeks there before I have to fly back for another two jobs I have booked on 19th and 25th August. Do the business and fly back end of August FOR GOOD!

Option two:
Wait until end of August before I go at all!!

This is what everybody else is telling me to do. The reason for wanting to go over now is that I feel there would be more casual work available now than there will be at the end of August. I intend to set up business amongst the expats, but will be hoping for any kind of work to keep me going until I get established. I have much experience in all kinds of work, bar work, door security, general building work, retail work, anything!

Although it would be difficult to get a job if I will be flying back home a couple of times, if I can at least get myself known and sort out the chance of work then it will make it easier for me in August. My Daughter is adamant that she is moving over with me and will probably join me end of August, so a job for her is also needed.

Problems with option one is the cost of travelling so much, I have to look at the pros and cons and the obvious con is the £200/£300 or even £400 extra in flights, depleating my already small budget. I originaly thought I would have a budget to survive for a few months, but this is becoming dificult and my whole survival may depend on me gaining employment ASAP! which sounds like a big risk.

Other things to consider:

Exchange rate. Is this usually better at the end of August?

On long term rentals, if they are asking 600 Euros pm now for an 11 month contract, would the price go down in August/September for the same contract?

I have been considering this move for a long time and have researched and considered everything and my mind is made up,

It's just a matter of timing!
Hmmmmmmm wait til August , dont be mr speedy be mr steady
Old Jun 11th 2007, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Big Pete
dont be mr speedy be mr steady
Nice one Big Pete. Sound advice.

You get that from a sex education booklet?
Old Jun 12th 2007, 6:07 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

LOL. ;-)
Old Jun 12th 2007, 10:59 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Nahh came out of me Handbook for me motorbike
Old Jun 13th 2007, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Big Pete

Nahh came out of me Handbook for me motorbike

Well its good advice for all three situations;
moving to Spain, riding a bike and ermmm... riding
Old Jun 13th 2007, 8:15 pm
Banned

Well its good advice for all three situations;
moving to Spain, riding a bike and ermmm... riding
yep