Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Residency Permit for Non EU spouse

Residency Permit for Non EU spouse

Old Apr 13th 2007, 5:17 pm
Rob in Madrid

tim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nice
Default Residency Permit for Non EU spouse

I'm hoping that someone can help me with this as I'm having problems getting information. How does one go about getting a residency permit (NIE number) if your spouse is a non Spanish EU passport holder. In my case my wife has a German passport (thanks to her parents who emigrated to Canada after the war) and 7 years ago we moved to Germany, being as she was "German" I was able to get a work/residency permit without a problem. We now live in Spain and she has obtained her residency permit but I'm having problems getting mine. I used the same form as her they've rejected it twice (both times after a 7 hour wait) and no one seems to know how I go about applying for a permit in spite of the fact I'm entitled to it

My Spanish isn't good enough yet to do all this on my own.

thanks Rob
Old Apr 13th 2007, 6:42 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Residency Permit for Non EU spouse

THIS may help.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 9:15 pm
Rob in Madrid

tim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nice

Originally Posted by jdr
THIS may help.
thanks, but I don't need to worry about that as Chris has a German passport (thanks to her parents) so she was able to get her NIE without a problem it's just I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

rob
Old Apr 13th 2007, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

I think the problem may well be in trying use the same form/department as your wife.
When we did ours in Sevilla unbeknown to us there were different forms, queues & departments for EU Comunity nationals and "others".
We made the mistake of asuming that we were Extranjeros, (foreigners) and joined the "Extranjero" queue along with all the folks from Sth America etc. Only to be told hours later on reaching the desk that we needed to be in the "Comunity" queue around the corner.
Old Apr 14th 2007, 6:13 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

That is what I was pointing out to Rob, if he is still Canadian and not an EU citizen then he will probably need different papers and permits.
Old Apr 14th 2007, 6:59 am
Rob in Madrid

Originally Posted by jdr
That is what I was pointing out to Rob, if he is still Canadian and not an EU citizen then he will probably need different papers and permits.
exactly, just trying to figure out what the papers I'm supposed to use. don't know if anyone noticed but with the influx of eastern europeans it has really gummed up the bureaucracy. It's a nightmare right at the moment to get through.
Old Apr 14th 2007, 7:12 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by tim hortons man
exactly, just trying to figure out what the papers I'm supposed to use. don't know if anyone noticed but with the influx of eastern europeans it has really gummed up the bureaucracy. It's a nightmare right at the moment to get through.
Did you read my link under this bit "Residency and work"
It looks like a nightmare, but as you are moving from Germany, another EU state it should be different surely.
If you are employed in Spain maybe your boss can sort it easier.
Or go and see a Gestoria, they know about the laws and paperwork.
Old Apr 14th 2007, 8:30 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Under the new residency laws that came into effect this month, non EU family members of EU citizens are entitled to a residents card.

The EU resident now is issued with a registration certificate but the non EU spouse still gets a card.

The application form is the same for both. You can download it, together with all the instructions re documentation from the MIR site here

http://tinyurl.com/2qkesm

It is Form EX-16
Old Apr 14th 2007, 8:39 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Under the new residency laws that came into effect this month, non EU family members of EU citizens are entitled to a residents card.

The EU resident now is issued with a registration certificate but the non EU spouse still gets a card.

The application form is the same for both. You can download it, together with all the instructions re documentation from the MIR site here

http://tinyurl.com/2qkesm

It is Form EX-16
Thanks very much Fred, we have been trying to get the forms but were told that we could not have them as they were changing them. This will save us queueing twice so we are very grateful.

Rosemary and Graham
Old Apr 17th 2007, 6:19 am
Rob in Madrid

making progress, my wife went back to HR and raised hell and we are finally making some progress.

I think that the problem is that the Law regarding the "Tarjeta en régimen Comunitario" has changed from the 2nd of April. Please find attached the new form to apply for it. In "Datos de la Solicitud", you should specify "Tarjeta de residencia de familiar de ciudadano de la Unión"/ "Cónyuge".

In addition of the form, you should carry this documentation:

- Passport of your husband
- Copy of Canadian Marriage certificate (it should be translated and legalized).
- Your "Tarjeta de residencia".
- Three photos
the main problem currently is the brutally long wait to hand you paper work in, currently 6 hours plus in Madrid, arrive anytime after 8pm (office opens at 9) you won't get in. I've done this twice now. Jan 2nd when Spain opened it's doors to Romania and Bulgaria they flooded the country hundreds showed up Jan 2nd with nothing but a passport and lots of hope, was utter chaos. 5 months latter they've gotten it more organized but it's still a brutal wait.