Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Residency before 31st December question

Residency before 31st December question

Old Jun 30th 2020, 3:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Residency before 31st December question

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola

I have just heard from my solicitor of an English speaking Foreign Residents Association and they are now finding it impossible to get residencia appointments for British people, BUT appointments are available for Dutch, German and Belgium people!

The British Consulate have been notified and asked to help

Davexf
This from the Embassy on Facebook may explain?

Old Jun 30th 2020, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
1.No, but I know several who have & yes I am.
2.At many schools the theoretical test can be taken in English, per this link https://practicatest.com/en/getting-...ain-in-english Barriej may find this link useful?
3.AFIK, a probationary license is only issued to YOUNG drivers?
4.Perhaps?

In any event:
Barriej would be wise to expedite his residencia and obtain his Spanish license by exchange.
If he fails to obtain residencia and cannot exchange Barriej would be able to obtain an international driving license
Thanks for the info. Will look at the link later

Earlier in the year when I first panicked over the Jan 2020 cutoff (that was then updated) I contacted one of the driving schools in Benidorm. They give you online access to the theory test in english (when you go for the test you pick the language from the drop down)
My Spanish at present is rubbish but my driving is good (I have had some advanced lessons and I drive for a living)

My insurance on the car in Spain is just under 300 euro fully comp including a loan car if mine is off the road. Doubt that would change much, but if it goes up, it goes up.

If we don't get the residency sorted before Dec, then I will have to decide what to do next as we need a car where we have the flat.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 12:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barriej
Thanks for the info. Will look at the link later

If we don't get the residency sorted before Dec, then I will have to decide what to do next as we need a car where we have the flat.
Barrie I believe from what I have read that so long as you are legally living in Spain before 1 Jan 2021 you have up to 30 June 2021 to actually get residencia. Every little helps as they say.
https://www.instituteforgovernment.o...e-after-brexit
Old Jul 1st 2020, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

But to exchange licence you need residence certificate and the deadline for applying to exchange is 31st December, and no extension has been announced.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 2:31 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joppa
But to exchange licence you need residence certificate and the deadline for applying to exchange is 31st December, and no extension has been announced.
True, but that can easily be solved by adding the UK to the long list of non EU countries that can exchange licences. It would be done on a reciprocal basis.
Old Jul 2nd 2020, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

Kenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to bobd22 (again) for posting the message from the UK Embassy on Facebook. The new residency document sounds like just what we need. I have been in touch with our Spanish lawyer and he's optimistic we can sort things out.

Thanks also to missile for the link to the driving tests in English. I'll keep that handy.
Old Jul 2nd 2020, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
True, but that can easily be solved by adding the UK to the long list of non EU countries that can exchange licences. It would be done on a reciprocal basis.
And thats what I am hoping for. But the way things are progressing Im doubtful there will be any agreements.
Old Jul 2nd 2020, 5:54 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

You have to remember that the Withdrawal Agreement is between the UK and the whole of the EU. There are loads of existing bilateral agreements already in force, such as the UK Spain tax treaty. I’m sure things like driving licences will be sorted out. It’s the same for Spaniards coming to live in the UK who will want to exchange their licences.