Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Residencia renewal nightmare

Residencia renewal nightmare

Old Apr 6th 2011, 11:37 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Residencia renewal nightmare

Originally Posted by inib
Thanks Julian, but I've been here for 28 years now, paying my taxes and "autónomos" non-stop. I've also been married to a Spaniard for 13 years. I've even got other family members living over here, though they came later than I did and are still British. I think I cover the requirements.
When I got married here, they demanded so many more papers for a being a foreigner that I said, "Well it's about time I turned Spanish" and the clerk sighed "Ooof! That WILL take a long time", and put me off it!
Maybe if I start now, I'll manage it before my passport runs out in 2014.
I am very grateful for everybody's interest, and may well be back to you all when they start sending me from pillar to post.
You want to take Spanish Nationality because of ID?
Old Apr 6th 2011, 1:22 pm
Banned

JulianWard has a spectacular aura aboutJulianWard has a spectacular aura aboutJulianWard has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Julian, but I've been here for 28 years now, paying my taxes and "autónomos" non-stop. I've also been married to a Spaniard for 13 years. I've even got other family members living over here, though they came later than I did and are still British. I think I cover the requirements.
When I got married here, they demanded so many more papers for a being a foreigner that I said, "Well it's about time I turned Spanish" and the clerk sighed "Ooof! That WILL take a long time", and put me off it!
Maybe if I start now, I'll manage it before my passport runs out in 2014.
I am very grateful for everybody's interest, and may well be back to you all when they start sending me from pillar to post.
Sorry, when I offered my twopenth I did not realise how well integrated your were. However, I am surprised that with your extensive experience and Spanish associations through marriage and life here, that you have any problems with life in Spain.

I hope, however, that my comments may be of some assistance to those with less 'enchufe.'
Old Apr 6th 2011, 2:21 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

My Town Hall says it can't endorse a photocopy for me (they can only do this with documents they have emitted themselves). The local notary is delighted to endorse it for me for 15-20 €, and says it should be accepted anywhere, though they can't "shrink" it, as what they are certifying is that it is an IDENTICAL copy of the original.
At the risk of repeating myself. We went to the Cadiz police office to get my residencia. The officer there said, 'Take it to the papeleria, and get them to make a reduced copy. Then take that reduced copy to the other office at the Cadiz police station, and get the officer there to stamp it as kosher. Then take it back to the papeleria and get them to fold it in half and plasticise it.'

This we did. My understanding is that with the stamps on it from the police station of issue, the reduced copy effectively becomes an original. Folded in half and plasticised, it fits into my wallet, being smaller than my passport, but bigger than a credit card.

The notary can't do it, the town hall can't do it, it has to be the police station that issued it.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 2:29 pm
Banned

JulianWard has a spectacular aura aboutJulianWard has a spectacular aura aboutJulianWard has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by bil
At the risk of repeating myself. We went to the Cadiz police office to get my residencia. The officer there said, 'Take it to the papeleria, and get them to make a reduced copy. Then take that reduced copy to the other office at the Cadiz police station, and get the officer there to stamp it as kosher. Then take it back to the papeleria and get them to fold it in half and plasticise it.'

This we did. My understanding is that with the stamps on it from the police station of issue, the reduced copy effectively becomes an original. Folded in half and plasticised, it fits into my wallet, being smaller than my passport, but bigger than a credit card.

The notary can't do it, the town hall can't do it, it has to be the police station that issued it.
After considerable correspondence between the British Embassy and myself last year an instruction was issued, as a summer 2010 only initiative, to the National Police and the Guardia to stamp copies of UK passports, however, when I tried at several stations, several times, they all refused to do it. And that was even when I produced a copy of the instruction which had been sent to them by the Police Dept in Madrid.

So Bil well done. I would think that the stamped copy (by the National Police or the Guardia, not the Local police) should work. However, if you are referring to the (useless) piece of green A4 paper /the Residencia Cert) and as you refer to having it reduced and folded over, it probably is, then that is, as has been said several times, not an ID in itself. What you seem to have is a certified copy of the cert (on which is printed that it is not proof of ID nor nationality) you will still need a legal ID.

Last edited by JulianWard; Apr 6th 2011 at 2:36 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 4:36 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JulianWard
After considerable correspondence between the British Embassy and myself last year an instruction was issued, as a summer 2010 only initiative, to the National Police and the Guardia to stamp copies of UK passports, however, when I tried at several stations, several times, they all refused to do it. And that was even when I produced a copy of the instruction which had been sent to them by the Police Dept in Madrid.

So Bil well done. I would think that the stamped copy (by the National Police or the Guardia, not the Local police) should work. However, if you are referring to the (useless) piece of green A4 paper /the Residencia Cert) and as you refer to having it reduced and folded over, it probably is, then that is, as has been said several times, not an ID in itself. What you seem to have is a certified copy of the cert (on which is printed that it is not proof of ID nor nationality) you will still need a legal ID.
I will admit that my paranoia is so intense that I always carry Passport, reduced residencia and photo driver's licence.

I just wish to god it were possible to get ID cards here which would make our lives that bit easier.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 5:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
I will admit that my paranoia is so intense that I always carry Passport, reduced residencia and photo driver's licence.

I just wish to god it were possible to get ID cards here which would make our lives that bit easier.
I was one of the alert 15,000 who managed to get a pukka UK ID card it was valid for about 5 mths and then the stupid libdem (those that think EU is a good thing) end of this coalition decided that it was somewhere to the right of the Nazi system and it was scrapped in Mid January. It cost only £30 and some trouble to attend and be fingerprinted and photographed but much cheaper than the £77 I have just paid to renew my not as secure passport. I managed to use it twice at Stansted and Luton and on both occassions the passport officer was surprised but happy to accept it. I have not try'd since they scrapped it but mercadonna et al are more than happy because it has my picture and a format just like they get from all other Europeans. Not tried it with GC don't know if I would have the conjonnes to try it if stopped.

The Lie behind all of this was that it was a cost saving measure but they still have all the infrastructure for non-EU citizens who have to have the same card just a different colour. 15000 of UK citizens and 122,000 non-EU citizens were completed in the 5 mth that it operated for both.

We can only hope that when the next Government comes in they will reinstate it for all, not compel except for non-EU citizens and then all who want this handy credit card sized absolute form of ID get one at the bargin price I paid.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 6:48 pm
Banned

John and Kath you refer to the cost of the UK passport and the ID card. Again rip-off Britain. A Spanish 10 year passport is 20€, is issued at the National Police Office and the hold can go everywhere a UK passport can; a Spanish DNI (ID card) is 10€

As far as passports are concerned I am so glad I am now Irish, passport free as I am over 65.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute

The ideal ID card has the NIE number on it - a number which is for life (unlike a passport number) and is good for driving licences, tax returns, weddings, funerals, standing for office, buying a house, national insurance, health and any other reason that the swollen tribe of Spain's funcionarios can come up with.
You can even memorize it...
Old Apr 6th 2011, 6:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Residencia renewal nightmare

Originally Posted by Lenox
The ideal ID card has the NIE number on it - a number which is for life (unlike a passport number) and is good for driving licences, tax returns, weddings, funerals, standing for office, buying a house, national insurance, health and any other reason that the swollen tribe of Spain's funcionarios can come up with.
You can even memorize it...
I'm pretty sure the UK ID Card number would have been for life and would have had many uses with the passage of time.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

inib is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JulianWard
Sorry, when I offered my twopenth I did not realise how well integrated your were. However, I am surprised that with your extensive experience and Spanish associations through marriage and life here, that you have any problems with life in Spain.

I hope, however, that my comments may be of some assistance to those with less 'enchufe.'
Julian, I am very grateful for your twopenth,(as well as the contributions of everyone else) and I'm sure it WILL be of use to many others. Until now, I haven't had any problems with life in Spain, and I suppose my only one now is that I'm grumpy about carting my passport around all the time. As the system is new for me I'm wondering if someone will even object to my passport as the number on it is different from the NIE with which I have opened accounts etc.
However, you are probably right. I will henceforth leave space for those who have more difficult problems.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 7:22 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to be an expat obsession to walk about with original ID on the remote chance that our legitimate presence in Spain is questioned. Are we all on the run?

I’ve got all the legal documents and I leave the originals in the relative safety of my house, unless I’m visiting the authorities who want to see them or I’m in my car.

I make do with copies for the rest of the time, the 99.9% of time when I’m not speaking to daft funcinarios and merely enjoying life in this lovely, free country.

As for changing one’s nationality, I’m going to approach the Chinese embassy, they get all sorts of free tax breaks.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

avocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud of

I think that y'all (been watching American Dance Crew lol) are stark raving mad!!

Been here a while and never bother with all the official documentation carp.

What's the problem with carrying ur passport - I Do !!!
Most women carry bags the size of a sack of potatoes. surely a passport doesn't take up so much room ?!

Another point, I have had the pleasure of unlawful arrest by the Policia Nacional - NOT ONCE WAS A CERTIFICATE OF RESIDENCE REQUESTED, NOR WAS MY STATUS OF RESIDENT, TOURIST OR FOREIGNER EVER QUESTIONED. They were so busy trying to set me up for something serious that they must have forgotten. I doubt that many of them have even heard of such a document.

Ironically, I GOT OFF at the court because it was decided that "HE IS ONE OF US". (I have connections, lol - if I didn't, jail time!!)

So, don't worry be happy. Forget the papeles and have another vino. Life is too short.

Saludos.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 6:53 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avocados
I think that y'all (been watching American Dance Crew lol) are stark raving mad!!

Been here a while and never bother with all the official documentation carp.

What's the problem with carrying ur passport - I Do !!!
Most women carry bags the size of a sack of potatoes. surely a passport doesn't take up so much room ?!

Another point, I have had the pleasure of unlawful arrest by the Policia Nacional - NOT ONCE WAS A CERTIFICATE OF RESIDENCE REQUESTED, NOR WAS MY STATUS OF RESIDENT, TOURIST OR FOREIGNER EVER QUESTIONED. They were so busy trying to set me up for something serious that they must have forgotten. I doubt that many of them have even heard of such a document.

Ironically, I GOT OFF at the court because it was decided that "HE IS ONE OF US". (I have connections, lol - if I didn't, jail time!!)

So, don't worry be happy. Forget the papeles and have another vino. Life is too short.

Saludos.
Good luck to you in the life that you lead, but you’re definitely not one of us. Well, maybe that’s not entirely true, but it’s more sensible to keep a bit quiet about it.