Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Repsol gas bottles

Repsol gas bottles

Old May 7th 2016, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Repsol gas bottles

You know the gas (butano) bottles that are most used for cooking, heaters etc? I went to get a couple of re-fills today and saw that the design of them had changed. I think now they have a blue plastic top with handles rather than the all metal type with metal handles.
I'm told we can change to the new ones 'for free'....... but I think there is a problem....... I'm sure that even though they are the same price to exchange, they are now about a couple of kilos of gas lighter.
I'm told they are phasing out the old ones.

Am I right in thinking there is less gas in them or have I been diddled in that the old style ones are still prevalent?
Old May 7th 2016, 8:03 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Repsol gas bottles

Originally Posted by Mark604
You know the gas (butano) bottles that are most used for cooking, heaters etc? I went to get a couple of re-fills today and saw that the design of them had changed. I think now they have a blue plastic top with handles rather than the all metal type with metal handles.
I'm told we can change to the new ones 'for free'....... but I think there is a problem....... I'm sure that even though they are the same price to exchange, they are now about a couple of kilos of gas lighter.
I'm told they are phasing out the old ones.

Am I right in thinking is less gas in them or have I been diddled in that the old style ones are still prevalent?
They're made of aluminium, not steel, which takes about 5 kilos off the empty weight. They contain the same amount of gas. I like them. Much lighter.
Old May 8th 2016, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

cymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura about

and whilst on the subject of gas bottles, don't give the Spanish police yet another reason to fine you, remember:

"Spanish law states that you can carry 2 gas bottles in the car, and they must be carried in an upright, vertical position. You must also take necessary measure to ensure that the canisters are secured in the vehicle and cannot move during the journey".

Source: Carrying Gas Canisters in the Car | N332 - Driving In Spain

Old May 8th 2016, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

Now made of aluminium? Never thought of that to account for the weight difference!
Thanks. It looks like the wife can now manage to carry them.

As for carrying the gas bottles in the car, thanks for pointing that out and I'm sure we all have spent money making and fitting a special removable cage in our vehicles and we adhere to the letter of the law at all times.
Probably.
Old May 8th 2016, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Now made of aluminium? Never thought of that to account for the weight difference!
Thanks. It looks like the wife can now manage to carry them.

As for carrying the gas bottles in the car, thanks for pointing that out and I'm sure we all have spent money making and fitting a special removable cage in our vehicles and we adhere to the letter of the law at all times.
Probably.
Couple of good strong bungee cords should do the trick.
Old May 8th 2016, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

cymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura about

Probably.
Thanks for the sarcasm

I was simply pointing it out, having been stopped by the police and having it pointed out to me (and I never knew).

Totally up to everyone whether or not they want to adhere to "the letter" of the law or not, but, as was pointed out to me, ignorance of the law is no excuse.
Old May 8th 2016, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

You've got the wrong end of the stick. I am grateful you mentioned that as I had no idea about it and as you said, you never knew.
The sarcasm is that I'm sure we all abide by the rules.