Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Renting in Spain?

Renting in Spain?

Old Jul 17th 2011, 10:55 am
Banned

porcelainwhite has a brilliant futureporcelainwhite has a brilliant futureporcelainwhite has a brilliant futureporcelainwhite has a brilliant futureporcelainwhite has a brilliant futureporcelainwhite has a brilliant futureporcelainwhite has a brilliant future
Default Renting in Spain?

Has anyone ever used the website fotocasa.es before? It has a lot of places to rent and I'm trying to request more information on certain properties but it wants my phone number. But I'm assuming it's a Spanish number because my UK and mobile numbers are too long to input on the site and I'm not in Spain yet so I don't have a number.

If not, can anyone recommend me some other sites to rent properties?

Also, what information needs to be given to sign a rental lease, is it different to the UK? & Finally, what bills do you need to pay? Are they the same as the UK or are there less/more bills to pay?

Old Jul 17th 2011, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

Rostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really nice
Default Re: Renting in Spain?

Originally Posted by porcelainwhite
Also, what information needs to be given to sign a rental lease, is it different to the UK? & Finally, what bills do you need to pay? Are they the same as the UK or are there less/more bills to pay?

The info needed is just your identity, and a copy of your passport will do until you get your NIF and/or residencia.

What bills you pay depends on your landlord. I have rented out property for years in Spain, and have learned to set a rent which INCLUDES water and electricity, since I've had so many tenants leave, owing large amounts to the utilities, which I then have to pay before I can let the property again. I do find of course that consumption of these is higher than it would be if the tenant was paying his own bills, but it's swings and roundabouts.

You should not have to pay the community charge, if any, (that is legally the responsability of the property owner) as is the IBI - tax to the Town Hall.

Make sure you get the Landlord's full name, address and NIF number on the contract, so that you can claim the allowance for renting your home when you make your annual tax declaration.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 12:11 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rostra
The info needed is just your identity, and a copy of your passport will do until you get your NIF and/or residencia.

You should not have to pay the community charge, if any, (that is legally the responsability of the property owner) as is the IBI - tax to the Town Hall.

Make sure you get the Landlord's full name, address and NIF number on the contract, so that you can claim the allowance for renting your home when you make your annual tax declaration.
I disagree, it's at the landlords discretion (according to my Abogados)!

I use fotocasa all the time and I also use enalquiler.com (which is perhaps the best IMHO).
Old Jul 17th 2011, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

Have a look on kyero.com and also thinkspain.com has a rental property section.

It is a renters market so shop around, never take anything the potential landlord says to you as gospel, he is looking after his interest not yours and to be honest the best rental deals are coming over and walking around looking for rent boards.

Never agree to rent a property while you are in the UK or sign a contract while there either as what you sign maybe different than what you get. When signing a contract take someone with you to go through it as it will be in Spanish and even if it is in English as well get it checked out as only the Spanish one is legally binding and they may not tally anyway. There is a couple on here who rented a property was told one thing ended up with something different and also the Spanish contract made them responsible for things that was omitted when they were in discussions, so when they arrived it was a little bit of a shock.

Decide where you want to live and do lots of research, moving anywhere and especially here research is a must, you may think the place you are getting is nice and quite, which it is during the day, but the bar 2 doors down may make it hell at night, the apartment may be in a quiet block but may be used as weekend homes so at a weekend it is noisy and very busy.

As I said before it is a renters market, so make an offer 50e a month is better off in your pocket than the landlords and look at lots of properties if you fall in love with just one then you have lost any advantage you may have for negotiation as you will be so blinkered you will pay what they ask.

Write yourself a hit list, what a property/area must have, what you would like, what you can live without and what you do not want at any cost and then stick to it, if you use an agent stick to your guns, they want you to rent so many will show you anything hoping you will like it enough to rent it, when I was looking asked for 4 bed property on decent road as I was looking to work from home at least 3 agents showed me 2 bed places on little more than goat tracks, remember what is a dry river bed in the summer could well be going through your home in the winter and it is not the agents or landlords responsibility to tell you, so use common sense and look at what is around the house just as much as what is in the house.

I hope this helps a little, if you have questions it is better to ask them than get stung.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 9:30 am
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

I moved to Playa del Inglis 2 years ago.. I booked a 2 week holiday and went round apartments till i found the 1 I live in now.. water and electric and all year heated pool 450 euros a month..and its a 1 bedroom apartment..Goodluck to you..Thats about £400.. todays rate..

Last edited by tommy.irene; Jul 18th 2011 at 9:34 am.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 2:33 pm
Just moved to Valencia

susanalberti is an unknown quantity at this point

Much easier to look once there, or go over and take a look a places. I don't think the Spanish are so into internet than we are in the UK. Plus there are some private landlords, "particulares" who just put a board up on the outside of the property and don't advertise on the net. Suggest a walk round/drive round of the area you are interested in.

Another factor is security, perhaps more important in Spain than the UK so one thing to keep in mind when looking at possible places.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by porcelainwhite
Has anyone ever used the website fotocasa.es before? It has a lot of places to rent and I'm trying to request more information on certain properties but it wants my phone number. But I'm assuming it's a Spanish number because my UK and mobile numbers are too long to input on the site and I'm not in Spain yet so I don't have a number.

If not, can anyone recommend me some other sites to rent properties?

Where do you want to live? that's what we need to know!! As has already been said the Spanish are not the best at responding to internet requests. There may well be members prepared to recommend agents in the area you request.
One thing to watch out for, is that some properties are only up for rent because the owners can't sell!!!
Old Jul 20th 2011, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I disagree, it's at the landlords discretion (according to my Abogados)!

I use fotocasa all the time and I also use enalquiler.com (which is perhaps the best IMHO).
I don't mean to get your back up snikpoh but whatever your abogado says, how can Biennes Inmuebles (property wealth) belong to the tenant? It is certainly possible to charge the tenant extra to cover these taxes but it is neither moral, nor legally enforceable to call this 'their' tax. If you leave the little slip with them to pay, it'll be on your own head if they don't pay it and leave you owing years of IBI. Your property...Your wealth.... Your tax! The other local drainage taxes etc certainly can be payable by the tenant as they have benefit of the services.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 8:42 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by susanalberti
Much easier to look once there, or go over and take a look a places. I don't think the Spanish are so into internet than we are in the UK. Plus there are some private landlords, "particulares" who just put a board up on the outside of the property and don't advertise on the net. Suggest a walk round/drive round of the area you are interested in.

Another factor is security, perhaps more important in Spain than the UK so one thing to keep in mind when looking at possible places.

The Spanish seem to be heavily into the mobile phone, which goes very well with their tendency to do things by word of mouth, so getting to know a few Spaniards can open up many avenues when in country.
As you say, they put a sign up on a property and wait for someone to contact them, without any thought of "multi-channel" advertising such as thru an agent - many I have seen say "sin commission"