Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Renting Property Question

Renting Property Question

Old Feb 12th 2007, 1:28 pm
Smarties

SmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really nice
Default Renting Property Question

I am pretty sure we have decided to rent in Spain now for the first 6-11 months at least (I say 11 as that seems to be the most you can let for initially and I understand why that is). Learn the lingo a nice pace taking a year off to do so.

What would I need in order to do this? My plan being to pop over to find a place to rent then bring the wife and dogs across once I had found a place. I assume a passport of course and maybe some spare photographs but would there be anything else they are likely to ask for other than money?

How long does the process take. I am assuming there are lots of rentals over there (long term) is that assumption wrong? Kyero seems to have loads anyway.

I am looking for something that will allow dogs (2) with some garden and perhaps detached and have a budget of say £450 a month. Maybe that’s a bit optimistic but hey shoot high that’s what I say
Old Feb 12th 2007, 1:31 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting Property Question

Originally Posted by SmartiesUK
I am pretty sure we have decided to rent in Spain now for the first 6-11 months at least (I say 11 as that seems to be the most you can let for initially and I understand why that is). Learn the lingo a nice pace taking a year off to do so.

What would I need in order to do this? My plan being to pop over to find a place to rent then bring the wife and dogs across once I had found a place. I assume a passport of course and maybe some spare photographs but would there be anything else they are likely to ask for other than money?

How long does the process take. I am assuming there are lots of rentals over there (long term) is that assumption wrong? Kyero seems to have loads anyway.

I am looking for something that will allow dogs (2) with some garden and perhaps detached and have a budget of say £450 a month. Maybe that’s a bit optimistic but hey shoot high that’s what I say
From what I've heard, £450 long term should get you a mansion, depending on area
Old Feb 12th 2007, 1:34 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

British property owners tend not to allow pets in rented property. They also might ask for a credit report as well as ID. A contract will be a must.

However, the spanish usually want to rent their properties on the black. So you may or may not have to sign a contract. Payments will possibly be in cash. Pets won´t be a problem though.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 1:34 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
From what I've heard, £450 long term should get you a mansion, depending on area
About a two bed apartment where I am, villas nothing under 1250€ a month.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 1:35 pm
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light

what area ?
Old Feb 12th 2007, 1:36 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Yes, location makes a big difference. Where are you going Smartie?

I rented a 4 bed townhouse for 350 euros a month. That would probably get you nothing more than a garage in some places.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 1:41 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Wow, and I'd heard of so many people in the past renting decent places for 400 - 500 euros a month, I'd begun to think if I would have been better off renting myself ... I obviously got the wrong impression
Old Feb 12th 2007, 1:55 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

In Jalon (Costa Blanca North inland), we pay €751 for a 3 bedroom detached house with garage and 650 m2 of land approx (no pool). We deal directly with the estate agent, who is English and it's great. I suspect the agency gets about €100 of that every month, but they keep the peace. We have a small dog, but some are not happy renting to people with pets.

In Calpe (2 years ago) we were renting a 2 bed linked bungalow for €900 a month, plus €200 for maintenance of communal pool and gardens! That's why we moved!

Remember they also usually want 2 months deposit up front. Some agencies accept a credit card, but charge you about 4% ontop. Some rental fees include utilities (electric, water, basura, etc) whilst others do not. The 11 month contract is to ensure that you do not have legal rights over the property, which means that if you do a year's contract, you are entitled to live in the property for 5 years, therefore the Spanish avoid doing this at all costs. But if they see that you treat the property well and pay your rent on time, they will let you stay on the property after the 11 month period has lapsed.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 2:02 pm
Smarties

SmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really nice

Originally Posted by MnM
We deal directly with the estate agent, who is English and it's great.
Thanks for this. Any chance you can PM me with the details of this estate agent you use. Seems a good idea if he is English and at this point in time we have no specific area in mind to be honest. Looking for something away from the tourists, inland but perhaps 30 mins from sea and as I say within budget though may go higher if needed to. how is your area there MnM? Is it scenic?

Thanks again
Old Feb 12th 2007, 2:32 pm
MnM

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this. Any chance you can PM me with the details of this estate agent you use. Seems a good idea if he is English and at this point in time we have no specific area in mind to be honest. Looking for something away from the tourists, inland but perhaps 30 mins from sea and as I say within budget though may go higher if needed to. how is your area there MnM? Is it scenic?

Thanks again
Hi again,

I've pm'ed you the info.

Jalon is a wine valley about 20 minutes inland from the coast, so very close indeed and far enough from the tourists in the summer, although Saturdays here are madness because there is a massive outdoor market (rastro) that both the Spanish and tourists visit all year round. Lots of expats living in harmony with the locals....and yes, it is very scenic, views of mountains everywhere.

The link below is very useful too

http://www.infocostablanca.com/uk/entrance.htm

and it will give you loads of information about the area (Costa Blanca North)

This other link will give you more info on Jalon

http://www.spain-holiday.com/informa...cia/Jalon.html

Let me know if you need any more information.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

cajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud of

A quick question for you all while you are talking about renting, we are coming over this week to sign the contract for our rental apartment, the agent has told us we have to pay 3 months up front, one month rent, one month as deposit and the 3rd is their fee. I know over here the landlord pays the agents fees i just wanted to check whether this is the norm in spain for the tenant to pay the agent fees.
Thanks
Old Feb 12th 2007, 4:10 pm
has got a huge member

Originally Posted by cajam31
A quick question for you all while you are talking about renting, we are coming over this week to sign the contract for our rental apartment, the agent has told us we have to pay 3 months up front, one month rent, one month as deposit and the 3rd is their fee. I know over here the landlord pays the agents fees i just wanted to check whether this is the norm in spain for the tenant to pay the agent fees.
Thanks

Usually the tenant and the landlord pay the agents fees - 50% each.

If it is a Brit agency they will probably charge you every month - say 5 or 10% of the monthly rental fee.

If it is a spanish agency they usually charge you a one off fee which equates or 5 or 10% of the first year´s total rent. After that initial payment you don´t pay anything else to the agent.

Keith
Old Feb 12th 2007, 4:11 pm
MnM

Thanks
I would say there is no "norm". It all depends on the agreement the agency has with the landlord and what agreement you initially made with them as well.

We didn't have to pay the agent a fee for our rental property. We paid 2 months deposit and one month's rent. But as I said in my previous post, the agency is getting a monthly fee for our property because they handle the money side of things (deposit into their bank account, etc.)

Perhaps, the agency is just taking a one-off fee for renting out the property and that was the request from the landlord.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

cajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud of

OK, thats great, thanks for the replies.
It is a Spanish agent, and it is a one off payment, after that we just pay the rent every month.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 4:48 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

OK, thats great, thanks for the replies.
It is a Spanish agent, and it is a one off payment, after that we just pay the rent every month.
I think this has come up before and it was said that it is illegal for them to charge a finders fee.
It should only be 1 months rent in advance plus a months rent deposit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.