Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

rent or hang out for a sale

rent or hang out for a sale

Old Nov 8th 2008, 9:29 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: rent or hang out for a sale

Originally Posted by 03630
It is curious. People accept price swings in every other market, but the British in particular have this strange view that a house must be worth what they ask and not what they are offered. IMO the faster we get back to the simple notion that a house is a place to enjoy your 3 score and 10, the better.
but if it's not essential that they sell, why not wait it out rather than break even or perhaps sell at a loss?
Old Nov 8th 2008, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

03630 will become famous soon enough03630 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by lynnxa
but if it's not essential that they sell, why not wait it out rather than break even or perhaps sell at a loss?
I suppose it depends on the original motives. If the house is for enjoyment (family holidays etc) then your idea is correct. If it has been bought for investment then, decisions about, loss of interest, cost of insurance, maintenance, how long the market conditions will prevail versus is there another investment that might yield a better result. It is not a simple sum, but the premise that the best investments give a yield rather than relying on capital growth, is a good one for most of us.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - there is a difference between wanting to sell and having to sell. And why not make some money in the meantime?

Rent to buy seems a sensible option that I am sure will become more popular now, as buyers will be more cautious.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montgomail
Yes - there is a difference between wanting to sell and having to sell. And why not make some money in the meantime?

Rent to buy seems a sensible option that I am sure will become more popular now, as buyers will be more cautious.
Youre right, we dont have to sell or in fact have to rent - we are fortunate enough not to have a mortgage on the house and we have somewhere to go back to in UK so we are in no rush - was just thinking "rent to buy" could be a suitable situation and that we may as well rent it than leave it sitting empty

I wouldnt say its a "wacky and way-out idea" billgates to reduce the price and yes if we were desperate we would consider that however as an agent told me this week, the only places that are selling are practically being given away and yes any property is only ever worth what someone is prepared to pay for it but the current global economic problems are dictating not what a property is "worth" but what people can afford
Old Nov 9th 2008, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

03630 will become famous soon enough03630 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by spain
but the current global economic problems are dictating not what a property is "worth" but what people can afford
I am making no judgement on the price but can you help me understand something? How did you arrive at that figure? You have consulted an agent and been told that you "practically have to give it away". What did that represent in numbers? I hold for example, shares in William Hill. They are currently 50% down on 6 months ago. If I sell them now, that is their value. It matters not what I think. Of course you're right I don't have to sell them, and indeed have no desire to, as long as they keep on paying me a dividend. It has to be the same for your house (and I think you are now going to rent it, yes?).
Old Nov 9th 2008, 3:08 am
BE Enthusiast

casa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spain
Youre right, we dont have to sell or in fact have to rent - we are fortunate enough not to have a mortgage on the house and we have somewhere to go back to in UK so we are in no rush - was just thinking "rent to buy" could be a suitable situation and that we may as well rent it than leave it sitting empty

I wouldnt say its a "wacky and way-out idea" billgates to reduce the price and yes if we were desperate we would consider that however as an agent told me this week, the only places that are selling are practically being given away and yes any property is only ever worth what someone is prepared to pay for it but the current global economic problems are dictating not what a property is "worth" but what people can afford
If you don't have to sell and don't have to rent, I wouldn't do either...lock it up, go back to uk and pop over from time to time for a short break. you can then offer it to your family and friends to use if they require.

Better to be safe than sorry.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

Can I put my oar in - we are now in the process of moving north of Alicante again rather than south where we are now and would absolutely love to find a furnished property that was someone's home (loved and cherished) and I can promise that we would look after it as it if were ours! Unfortunately all we can find so far is homes that have as little as possible put in in the way of furniture etc etc and want very high rents.

I would love to have the chance of looking after your house for you but it would be too far away from the office.

I think you would have no trouble renting if your house is nicely presented. I won't tell you the state of some properties that we are taken to look at and when you tell them that you really don't like curtains that are stained and have holes in them and could they possibly take the two plastic patio chairs away and put in proper dining room chairs for their €700 per month they look at you as though you are mad:curse: