Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Relocating to Spain HELP!!!

Relocating to Spain HELP!!!

Old Jan 17th 2008, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

londonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to all
Default Relocating to Spain HELP!!!

Hi everyone

I'm thinking for Leaving London and want to work somewhere else. Spain has been a great place for me while on Holiday.

Can someone tell me if working there is any good for an english speaking Brit. My parents are from Pakistani.

I have worked for the real estate in London for 6 years and customer service for more than 10 years.

Is it easy to find jobs?

Thanks
Old Jan 17th 2008, 3:48 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating to Spain HELP!!!

Originally Posted by londonguy28
Hi everyone

I'm thinking for Leaving London and want to work somewhere else. Spain has been a great place for me while on Holiday.

Can someone tell me if working there is any good for an english speaking Brit. My parents are from Pakistani.

I have worked for the real estate in London for 6 years and customer service for more than 10 years.

Is it easy to find jobs?

Thanks
The general concencus is that no, its not easy to find jobs especially if you don't speak Spanish. I'm guessing real estate jobs are going to be taking a hit over the next year due to the property market.

Also the average wage over here is quite low, which negates the lower cost of living.

Its a lot different a place when you live here than when you come on yer hols!
Old Jan 17th 2008, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

londonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to alllondonguy28 is a name known to all

Thanks for the advice.... really have had enough of London so if not spain then it will have to be Dubai.....

Thanks again

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
The general concencus is that no, its not easy to find jobs especially if you don't speak Spanish. I'm guessing real estate jobs are going to be taking a hit over the next year due to the property market.

Also the average wage over here is quite low, which negates the lower cost of living.

Its a lot different a place when you live here than when you come on yer hols!
Old Jan 18th 2008, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Think about this move. First off, it will be hard to find a comparable job in Spain if you do not speak Spanish. Depends where you are going to live too. If you live in a tourist area, there may be seasonal work for you at the airport, with tour companies in thier offices, or in a bar or hotel. Spain is the kind of place that you cannot just send your CV off to local companies and hope that someone gives you a job. You need to go and live in the town and meet people. It's who you know in Spain, not your qualifications, that will get your foot in the door. A couple of pieces of advice. Ask your company in the UK if you can take an extended leave. Go to Spain and try it out. Also, do not sell any property that you may have in the UK. You may find once you move abroad that it's not all it's cracked up to be. I know....16 years in the US and my parents lived for 30 years in Spain. Trying to get home now and it's proving difficult. Good luck!
Old Jan 18th 2008, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by simongb
Think about this move. First off, it will be hard to find a comparable job in Spain if you do not speak Spanish. Depends where you are going to live too. If you live in a tourist area, there may be seasonal work for you at the airport, with tour companies in thier offices, or in a bar or hotel. Spain is the kind of place that you cannot just send your CV off to local companies and hope that someone gives you a job. You need to go and live in the town and meet people. It's who you know in Spain, not your qualifications, that will get your foot in the door. A couple of pieces of advice. Ask your company in the UK if you can take an extended leave. Go to Spain and try it out. Also, do not sell any property that you may have in the UK. You may find once you move abroad that it's not all it's cracked up to be. I know....16 years in the US and my parents lived for 30 years in Spain. Trying to get home now and it's proving difficult. Good luck!

Thanks for the great advice. I would never sell anything in London and wherever I may live, London will still be home.

I was made redundant so this has made my mind to move.... I think it has to be dubai....lol thanks again and if there is anything i could help you with please do let me know.