Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

help. looking for breakdown cover

help. looking for breakdown cover

Old Jan 15th 2008, 10:24 am
Just Joined

kez8371 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default help. looking for breakdown cover

hi there. we are moving to spain via portsmouth-bilbao ferry in may and are looking for breakdown cover to get us to murcia.
Like other people on here they too have been having trouble finding some. I read on someones thread about RACE but when i went on the website its all in spainish and i dont do spainish Yet!! I have tried rac, green flag etc but they dont do single way trips. I didnt really want to go to the expense of taking out spainish insurance as i want to do this as cheap as possible but i do need cover as our car is getting on a bit and id hate to break down.
can anyone help with some recommended companies that are cheap and of course speak english. please. cheers kerry
Old Jan 15th 2008, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

happybunny has a brilliant futurehappybunny has a brilliant futurehappybunny has a brilliant futurehappybunny has a brilliant futurehappybunny has a brilliant futurehappybunny has a brilliant futurehappybunny has a brilliant future
Default Re: help. looking for breakdown cover

we got our cover through rac one way we just arrived 3 weeks ago.we also drove down through france and spain etc
Old Jan 15th 2008, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

well i rung rac and they said that we couldnt get breakdown with them. they didnt even mention about one way trip. im having to look at taking out spainish insurance now which includes breakdown because my insurance has said i wont be insured after 90 days on my policy. great fun!!! the quote i just had was 680 euros or the year!!
Old Jan 15th 2008, 4:38 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kez8371
well i rung rac and they said that we couldnt get breakdown with them. they didnt even mention about one way trip. im having to look at taking out spainish insurance now which includes breakdown because my insurance has said i wont be insured after 90 days on my policy. great fun!!! the quote i just had was 680 euros or the year!!

Uh ohhh .... I think you may be about to experience a lot of input on whether you can actually insure a UK plated car with a Spanish insurance company :-)

Search and read on importing a UK plated car into Spain. Basically if you are a Spanish resident you aren't supposed to drive a UK plated car, you have to matriculate it.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

happybunny has a brilliant futurehappybunny has a brilliant futurehappybunny has a brilliant futurehappybunny has a brilliant futurehappybunny has a brilliant futurehappybunny has a brilliant futurehappybunny has a brilliant future

we got our cover on line i think it was about £50.00 but we could have got it cheaper but we left it to late.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 7:26 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

hi there. we are moving to spain via portsmouth-bilbao ferry in may and are looking for breakdown cover to get us to murcia.
Like other people on here they too have been having trouble finding some. I read on someones thread about RACE but when i went on the website its all in spainish and i dont do spainish Yet!! I have tried rac, green flag etc but they dont do single way trips. I didnt really want to go to the expense of taking out spainish insurance as i want to do this as cheap as possible but i do need cover as our car is getting on a bit and id hate to break down.
can anyone help with some recommended companies that are cheap and of course speak english. please. cheers kerry
To get the insurance through RAC Green Flag etc, you MAY have to be a member, which is possibly why they wont do it. Try Europassist, there used to be a company called that who did cover you for breakdowns in Europe. Found this on the web..
http://www.icbreakdown.co.uk/compare.php?refer=gaw626
Old Jan 16th 2008, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by happybunny
we got our cover on line i think it was about £50.00 but we could have got it cheaper but we left it to late.
i can get 90 day cover from rac but they said that if i break down they may ask for proof that we are returning ie return ticket home which of course i wont have. the only thing i can do is say to them that we are travelling around for the 90 days and havent got a return date yet and find out what happens in that situation. then i will just cancel it a few weeks later as is i have returned
Old Jan 18th 2008, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

i can get 90 day cover from rac but they said that if i break down they may ask for proof that we are returning ie return ticket home which of course i wont have. the only thing i can do is say to them that we are travelling around for the 90 days and havent got a return date yet and find out what happens in that situation. then i will just cancel it a few weeks later as is i have returned
Well we got our cover for £42.41 one way cover RAC on the internet no problem (and there was other companys that did the same various prices) hope that helps