Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Religion in Spanish Primary School

Religion in Spanish Primary School

Old Dec 23rd 2007, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

HereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really nice
Default Religion in Spanish Primary School

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can advise me on the Religion side of things.....? Primary School in Spain supply a form asking whether the child is to be taught the Catholic Religion or not. We aren't Catholic, but also aren't religious at all. We don't have any problems with our Son learning about it etc. but wondered what others have opted to do.
We have decided to include him in the lessons, but would value any information about this.
KITTYX
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

Joe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud of
Default Re: Religion in Spanish Primary School

Originally Posted by HereKittyKitty
Hi, I was wondering if anyone can advise me on the Religion side of things.....? Primary School in Spain supply a form asking whether the child is to be taught the Catholic Religion or not. We aren't Catholic, but also aren't religious at all. We don't have any problems with our Son learning about it etc. but wondered what others have opted to do.
We have decided to include him in the lessons, but would value any information about this.
KITTYX
In Spain, there is an obligation to teach religious education in school, but it is not compulsory for children - if you choose not to, your child will do "alternativo".

One thing though. Your child's friends may all do religious education - in which case he may feel left out. So including him in the lessons may be for the best whether you are religious or not. If he needs extra Spanish lessons, they may be able to do them as the alternativo however so see how he gets on.
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 5:51 pm
Spain Business Guides

elgestor is just really niceelgestor is just really niceelgestor is just really niceelgestor is just really niceelgestor is just really niceelgestor is just really niceelgestor is just really niceelgestor is just really nice

Like Joe king says,

It's not compulsory and your child can do other activities. Children tend to opt to do religion at school because their friends do.

They don't learn anything bad or fundamentalist, they get taught rights and wrongs, love one another, don't steal, don't kill, be good neighbours, etc.

However as soon as they turn 16 all that religious education suddenly gets forgotten and goes straight out of the window.

David
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 6:00 pm
Banned

Location: What one has not experienced, one will never understand in print
lee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to all

Our daughter hasn`t learnt religion in school, she`s Catholic and is taught religion in church, which she has to attend for her first communion.

Spain has a weird attitude to religon, many catholic men won`t attend church, this stems from the active role the church took during the civil war and Franco`s reigon.

Many don`t believe a dictator that murdered 300,000 poeple over 40 years and supported Hitler should have received the support of the church in both Spain and Rome.
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 6:40 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elgestor
Like Joe king says,

It's not compulsory and your child can do other activities. Children tend to opt to do religion at school because their friends do.

They don't learn anything bad or fundamentalist, they get taught rights and wrongs, love one another, don't steal, don't kill, be good neighbours, etc.

However as soon as they turn 16 all that religious education suddenly gets forgotten and goes straight out of the window.

David
That's exactly right.. I went to a catholic school in Spain and although nowadays I don't consider myself relious at all I am glad I was taught those basics on how to be a decent human being ( not to mention that the nuns were excellent teachers!). You make a good point about turning a certain age and forgetting all about the religion too.. This is because we feel forced into it when we are not allowed to make choices so as soon as we can choose we choose to forget about it..

There is a weird attitude towards religion in Spain as someone else mentioned.. when I was little my parents would "make" me go to church but they wouldn't come with me . I used to go with my grandparents. Churches in Spain and full of children and elderly people, hardly any middle aged.. It looks like when we get older we decide to go back just in case that it helps with the afterlife ..
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 6:43 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Oh! and the alternative to religion is called Etica (Ethics).. it does teach you right and wrong too..
Old Dec 24th 2007, 10:15 am
Spain Business Guides

elgestor is just really niceelgestor is just really niceelgestor is just really niceelgestor is just really niceelgestor is just really niceelgestor is just really niceelgestor is just really niceelgestor is just really nice

Originally Posted by anabella
Oh! and the alternative to religion is called Etica (Ethics).. it does teach you right and wrong too..
I didn't know that. I thought they just did homework or extra studies.

David
Old Dec 24th 2007, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joe King
In Spain, there is an obligation to teach religious education in school, but it is not compulsory for children - if you choose not to, your child will do "alternativo".
yes this applies to my son

I opted out of him having religion when he first started at the school - the time the rest of the class spends in religion he had extra valenciano and castelleno lessons, which were invaluable for him

I think at the institute religion is complusory but not sure - will find out as he should be going there next September as long as he passes his exams
Old Dec 30th 2007, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

HereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really nice

Many thanks for your replies on this matter.
I had decided to include my Son as I didn't want to make him "different" from the majority of others in his class/School. I just wasn't sure what the lessons entailed etc., not being religious ourselves
He will be just past 8 and a half when he starts School in Spain, I just hope he copes OK with it all (language especially).
Old Dec 31st 2007, 7:56 pm
Spain Business Guides

You'll be amazed how quickly they learn the language, specially at that age. You may even need to ask him questions and interpret for you in a few months.