Regrets ???

Old Dec 27th 2019, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

Be happy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Regrets ???

Originally Posted by Retired in Euskadi
If you want to play golf & possibly have a swimming pool, then you're doubtless looking at somewhere near the Med. I am retired, my wife is from here (Basque country) & so our position is different from a couple who are both British. Eg, I am included in the health service here & pay nothing for it. No regrets coming to retire here for various reasons:
* quality of life; generally the Spanish work to live, whilst the British now live to work
* so much to see & explore the different areas of Spain
* public transport much cheaper than UK
* our handicapped child has a much better quality of life here
* you can keep in touch with the British media via satellite links or similar. We have internet radio & I listen most days to something on Radio 4!
* road infrastructure is very good; road signs & Spanish driving is however what I'd classify as "could do better".

However, not everything is rosy:
* any assets world-wide are liable for Spanish tax if you are permanently resident here (183days+)
* being near so many "Brits" isn't for everybody; one week in Mijas in our friend's chalet near Fuengirola is more than enough for us. After a couple of "full English breakfasts" in "Sid & Dot's bar" the novelty wears off!
* Language can be a barrier; get learning Spanish now, because at least you'll have a reason for doing so.
* Don't ever give up your UK bank account. Once closed, you cannot easily open another one.
* Being a native English speaker can open doors in the job market if need be, though it's not everybody's cup of tea. Unemployment generally is higher than in many other EU countries, & especially in provinces along the Med.
* At some stage you'll need the help of a 'gestor' or solicitor. There are many sharks even in that field (though I do not speak from experience).

Definitely rent first. Everybody here will tell you that. I reckon you'd need a joint monthly retirement income of around €2000 give or take to enjoy your life here.

Best wishes.
good advice - Is the 2000 euro estimate - if you’ve paid off your property ?
Old Jan 5th 2020, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Regrets ???

Originally Posted by Be happy

good advice - Is the 2000 euro estimate - if you’ve paid off your property ?
2k is more than enough. a rental property is around 1000 a month, 250 a week to live on and you´ll be living like royalty. If you buy a house the mortgage payments will be around 550-600.