Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Registering S1 form

Registering S1 form

Old May 6th 2014, 11:34 pm
Just Joined

Christabel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Registering S1 form

Could someone advise please what I would need to register a residual S1 with the INSS office and what do I need to do. I will be just in time to obtain the form before the 1st July before I move to Spain. Do I have to be a resident to register and do I need a form stating I am a resident. If so how do I get this? I will not be in spain for 183 days this year, but if I am resident for the health service, will I have to be resident for tax as well as I intend living here for a few years anyway. I am getting really confused despite reading many posts. Hope some kind person can give me a simple explanation. Thank you in anticipation.
Old May 7th 2014, 6:20 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registering S1 form

Originally Posted by Christabel
Could someone advise please what I would need to register a residual S1 with the INSS office and what do I need to do. I will be just in time to obtain the form before the 1st July before I move to Spain. Do I have to be a resident to register and do I need a form stating I am a resident. If so how do I get this? I will not be in spain for 183 days this year, but if I am resident for the health service, will I have to be resident for tax as well as I intend living here for a few years anyway. I am getting really confused despite reading many posts. Hope some kind person can give me a simple explanation. Thank you in anticipation.
Hi, The two type of residency are very different. For tax residency, the main rule is that you are in Spain for more than 182 days in any one calendar year. For signing on the list of foreigners and getting your residency certificate, the main rule is to be in Spain for 90 days (in one 'chunk').

I seem to recall that you need your 'residencia', a copy of your padron, the S1 form and a letter from DWP when going along to the INSS.
Old May 7th 2014, 6:40 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old May 7th 2014, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Christabel, I believe this is the correct order:

In order to register your Form S1 you’ll need to get the following in this order:
1.Certificate of Residence (Certificado de Residencia / Numero de Identificacion Extranjero. N.I.E. Number) – available from your nearest National Police station;
2. Certificate as a Local Resident (Certificado de Empadronamiento) – available from the local Town Hall (at the Padron Office)
Remember to make your own photocopies before you get to your appointment.
If you forget something you’ll probably have to go back another time.

1. Once you have your certificates, take them, along with both copies of your Form S1, to the local Instituto Nacional de la Seguridad Social (INSS) office.
2. They will keep both copies of your form S1 and issue you with accreditation.
3. Take the accreditation to the local health centre. Once you are registered you will be able to access the Spanish state-run health scheme. You will be issued with a plastic card at a later date.
4. Full access to the state system starts from the day you register your Form S1 with the INSS so:
Make sure you ask the International Pension Centre to include any dependents on the Form S1 form when you apply for it. You don’t need to register with a local GP but be aware this may mean that you’re not seen by the same doctor every time.
Old May 8th 2014, 6:09 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tebo53
Hi Christabel, I believe this is the correct order:

In order to register your Form S1 you’ll need to get the following in this order:
1.Certificate of Residence (Certificado de Residencia / Numero de Identificacion Extranjero. N.I.E. Number) – available from your nearest National Police station;
2. Certificate as a Local Resident (Certificado de Empadronamiento) – available from the local Town Hall (at the Padron Office)
Remember to make your own photocopies before you get to your appointment.
If you forget something you’ll probably have to go back another time.

1. Once you have your certificates, take them, along with both copies of your Form S1, to the local Instituto Nacional de la Seguridad Social (INSS) office.
2. They will keep both copies of your form S1 and issue you with accreditation.
3. Take the accreditation to the local health centre. Once you are registered you will be able to access the Spanish state-run health scheme. You will be issued with a plastic card at a later date.
4. Full access to the state system starts from the day you register your Form S1 with the INSS so:
Make sure you ask the International Pension Centre to include any dependents on the Form S1 form when you apply for it. You don’t need to register with a local GP but be aware this may mean that you’re not seen by the same doctor every time.
... what about the 'legislative' letter that is required to show you are not entitled to healthcare from UK??
Old May 8th 2014, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
... what about the 'legislative' letter that is required to show you are not entitled to healthcare from UK??
If I missed that then sorry!

You need to add information for the OP instead of asking the question.
Old May 9th 2014, 5:20 am
BE Enthusiast

CapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud of

For signing on the list of foreigners and getting your residency certificate, the main rule is to be in Spain for 90 days (in one 'chunk').

I seem to recall that you need your 'residencia', a copy of your padron, the S1 form and a letter from DWP when going along to the INSS.
Just to clarify, you don't have to have been in Spain for 90 days to register. The requirement is to register within 90 days of arrival. So technically you can register on the day you arrive, if you arrive with the intention of staying.

AFAIAA you only need the legislative letter when you are registering as "sin recurso". You don't need it to register an S1.