Reload this Page >

Living and schools in Turre/Vera/Mojacar

Living and schools in Turre/Vera/Mojacar

Old May 8th 2014, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

runnintothesun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living and schools in Turre/Vera/Mojacar

Hi all,
New on here today and would just like to ask if anyone could help by answering a few questions before we consider a move to Spain.
First of all we are a British couple aged 40 and 38 and have 8 children aged 17,16,14,11,9,6,4 and 2.We have been considering moving for a number of years now and have recently found an established business opportunity we can afford and have experience in running.We have a house in the UK and would be renting this out as a safety net if things were to go wrong and we had to return and this would also provide us with some extra money to help with a rental in Spain.
Our main concern, as has always been is the schools for the children.We have read all the horror stories of bullying by the Spanish kids but we assume that it depends what area you are in.As mentioned the areas we are interested in are Turre/Vera but if there was somewhere nearby (20 km or so) that was worth travelling to we could consider that.We have also read about the crime rate being higher than is published but once again does this apply to this area of Spain.We will be doing our best to learn as much Spanish as possible before moving but would like to be somewhere with a fairly large expat community.Any feedback would be much appreciated so we can decide if its really worth visiting the area or not, and spending the money looking at somewhere more suited to our requirements.Well thanks for taking the time to read our thread and hopefully some of you can help us.
Regards
Eddie and Michelle
Old May 8th 2014, 2:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living and schools in Turre/Vera/Mojacar

Woh 8 children

I really can't understand how you come to be considering this. Aren't your oldest three children preparing for very important exams at the moment?

It takes years to learn a language and maybe takes a child 5-8 years to learn it well enough to take exams in that language

If you can afford private English education for your eldest four then fair enough, although at their ages this will still be very disruptive

If you don't expect your children to get any qualifications then Spain is the worst place in the world you could be

And then I should add that the areas you are talking about are basically a desert, geographically and culturally. What on earth are your children going to do there?

Last edited by cricketman; May 8th 2014 at 2:39 pm.
Old May 8th 2014, 2:41 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by runnintothesun
Hi all,
New on here today and would just like to ask if anyone could help by answering a few questions before we consider a move to Spain.
First of all we are a British couple aged 40 and 38 and have 8 children aged 17,16,14,11,9,6,4 and 2.We have been considering moving for a number of years now and have recently found an established business opportunity we can afford and have experience in running.We have a house in the UK and would be renting this out as a safety net if things were to go wrong and we had to return and this would also provide us with some extra money to help with a rental in Spain.
Our main concern, as has always been is the schools for the children.We have read all the horror stories of bullying by the Spanish kids but we assume that it depends what area you are in.As mentioned the areas we are interested in are Turre/Vera but if there was somewhere nearby (20 km or so) that was worth travelling to we could consider that.We have also read about the crime rate being higher than is published but once again does this apply to this area of Spain.We will be doing our best to learn as much Spanish as possible before moving but would like to be somewhere with a fairly large expat community.Any feedback would be much appreciated so we can decide if its really worth visiting the area or not, and spending the money looking at somewhere more suited to our requirements.Well thanks for taking the time to read our thread and hopefully some of you can help us.
Regards
Eddie and Michelle
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old May 8th 2014, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

gallygirl is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm afraid I can't help with schooling as my children are fortunately older and off my hands!
However I have to say I strongly disagree with cricketman's views of the area. If you're used to big cities nearby then it would be very different but there is lots to do sports wise and places to visit (including the desert!). And Spanish youngsters spend hours on the beach.
There are plenty expat communities about and it would probably be best to try to find somewhere like that to live, at least initially, till your children learn the language. But it is a Spanish area (despite Iceland in Vera, with the Irish Bar next door!), not Benidorm or Marbella, which is part of the attraction.
Things have been hard the last few years but there are signs things are on the up again.
Good luck.
Old May 8th 2014, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute

The thought of having to purchase text books for 8 children at approximately 400 euros per child per school year makes me feel faint! Then do not forget about the cost for private health cover.
Old May 8th 2014, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

Hi all,and thanks for your comments.
My first answer is to cricketman.
Thank you ever so much for your advice and I do understand your concerns.It is imposible to clarify in one post everything and all circumstances.Our children although extremly bright and having their school teachers living next door to confirm so,they have unfortuanatly ended their education early and started working(with numerous GCSEs).I am refering to the older two in this instance,but their yonger brother is going exactly the same way and a pattern is ammerging.I cannot even beging to explain why this has happened as I cannot understand myself but it is not a conciquence of lack of inteligence or upbringing.We were under the impression that private tutoring as long as it is available could turn this around with a new enviroment and some possitive thinking may help.We do realize all these things need addressing and that we need to know the ins and outs,thanks for the 400 euros per year from battlezone (the name itself is scary).
And then we have gallygirl,Much more positive.We dont just wont to hear what we want to hear,But if somebody is actually living in the area.
No disrespet but someone calling this place where people live' a desert 'is that fair? ive heard so many good things about it
Old May 9th 2014, 7:41 am
Just Joined

Sorry but my last post was late at night and very rushed.I didnt worry about the spelling as I was going to use the spell check,but as you can see I forgot.
Old May 9th 2014, 8:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

No disrespet but someone calling this place where people live' a desert 'is that fair?
The area contains Europe's only desert

Youth unemployment in Andalucia is around 70% and in that area probably even higher. If your kids have very low qualifications and don't speak fluent Spanish then their future is very very bleak - even if they spoke Spanish their future would be bleak - then they will have nothing to do. Will you be able to support them for the rest of their lives?

Your plan sounds entirely unrealistic to me, sorry
Old May 9th 2014, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,and thanks for your comments.
My first answer is to cricketman.
Thank you ever so much for your advice and I do understand your concerns.It is imposible to clarify in one post everything and all circumstances.Our children although extremly bright and having their school teachers living next door to confirm so,they have unfortuanatly ended their education early and started working(with numerous GCSEs).I am refering to the older two in this instance,but their yonger brother is going exactly the same way and a pattern is ammerging.I cannot even beging to explain why this has happened as I cannot understand myself but it is not a conciquence of lack of inteligence or upbringing.We were under the impression that private tutoring as long as it is available could turn this around with a new enviroment and some possitive thinking may help.We do realize all these things need addressing and that we need to know the ins and outs,thanks for the 400 euros per year from battlezone (the name itself is scary).
And then we have gallygirl,Much more positive.We dont just wont to hear what we want to hear,But if somebody is actually living in the area.
No disrespet but someone calling this place where people live' a desert 'is that fair? ive heard so many good things about it
Without being judgemental whatever it is you and your family need or are looking for will be very much more difficult to achieve in Spain. Your older kids will struggle. If you are determined then maybe look at a more ex-pat focused area. As cricketman says these towns you mention are small and predominantly Spanish with little around them apart from miles of unused roads and desert.
Old May 9th 2014, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute

hi, I live in Mojácar and the area is 'not a desert' as Cricketman who lives I think in the green and wet north of Spain claims. In Spain, we have everything - good and bad, and this applies to schools. In local schools, the funding is based on the size of the municipality and in Mojácar and Turre, many foreign residents are not registered on the Town Hall 'padrón' giving rather inaccurate numbers to the authorities. Local schools are never much good, pace a brilliant teacher, so extra education is a good idea (there are some English teachers around who do piece-work). There's a proper English school on the road between Vera and Garrucha called Valdeserra here.