Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Registering at the Ayuntamiento

Registering at the Ayuntamiento

Old Nov 1st 2007, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

Sheilamary3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Registering at the Ayuntamiento

I wondered if anyone could put my mind at rest here?I have signed up for a long let in Nerja.My idea was to come and go for holidays during the year.I am now in my longest period of time,september to december.I am going home for a month at Christmas.
One of my friends said that if you are here for three months(I will be by Christmas)that you can register at the Town Hall.
I was not sure why,but went and did it and got a paper!!I understood that it helped Spain and if you were a pensioner etc you could get cheap bus travel or something!
I was a bit panicked when I read in one of the local papers that some British people are being denied National Health treatment in Britain and told they are no longer entitled? As I am not thinking of taking up permanent residency here and have an address in the UK I was a bit worried!Is it not possible to spend long holidays in Spain and still be treated like a UK citizen?
I have yearly holiday insurance and have also used my E 111 here when needed.
Help!!Should I not have done this?This same friend advised me to get an NIE no as well as I would need one to buy a car or property(not thinking of doing this in the immediate future,I am happy renting!)
Old Nov 1st 2007, 5:31 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registering at the Ayuntamiento

Originally Posted by Sheilamary3
I wondered if anyone could put my mind at rest here?I have signed up for a long let in Nerja.My idea was to come and go for holidays during the year.I am now in my longest period of time,september to december.I am going home for a month at Christmas.
One of my friends said that if you are here for three months(I will be by Christmas)that you can register at the Town Hall.
I was not sure why,but went and did it and got a paper!!I understood that it helped Spain and if you were a pensioner etc you could get cheap bus travel or something!
I was a bit panicked when I read in one of the local papers that some British people are being denied National Health treatment in Britain and told they are no longer entitled? As I am not thinking of taking up permanent residency here and have an address in the UK I was a bit worried!Is it not possible to spend long holidays in Spain and still be treated like a UK citizen?
Help!!Should I not have done this?This same friend advised me to get an NIE no as well as I would need one to buy a car or property(not thinking of doing this in the immediate future,I am happy renting!)
If you are in Spain for more than 3 months you legally have to apply for a residencia certificate as you are deemed to be a Spanish resident.
I understand if you are out of the UK for more than 3 months you also forfeit UK healthcare.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 6:12 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
I understand if you are out of the UK for more than 3 months you also forfeit UK healthcare.
The 3 months is cumulative - if you take 3 one month trips then you become not ordinarily resident and NHS healthcare "can" be refused.

UK pensioners get 6 months.

If you have signed onto the Spanish system with an E121 then you definitely are not covered.

That said, it is down to the individual health authority and how they interpret the rules and guidance. The probability is that they couldn't care less unless it is an obviously dodgy case.

Emergency treatment in the UK is free to all - no EHIC needed.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 6:19 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sheilamary3
This is signing on the Padron, and even holiday owners are being asked to do this. The more people signed on, the more money the council gets, and the more police, postmen etc they ahve to employ. Signed on you can vote in local elections as well. BUT AFAIK, they do NOT send your details to the UK for you to be signed off there. As has been said, you DO have to look at the residencia rules, as this could well affect things.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

Oddly enough I work for the NHS and at work today I was reading a poster that had been put up in a staff room about this very subject. Its a flowchart running down who is entitled to NHS care.

I'll get the details tomorrow and post it, but vaguely it does say that you are not entitled if you reside outside of the UK, cant' remember the exact details at the moment.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 7:46 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
Oddly enough I work for the NHS and at work today I was reading a poster that had been put up in a staff room about this very subject. Its a flowchart running down who is entitled to NHS care.

I'll get the details tomorrow and post it, but vaguely it does say that you are not entitled if you reside outside of the UK, cant' remember the exact details at the moment.
Thanks, but please put it in your own words, do not cut and paste as it may breach copyright.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

Tinspell78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
Thanks, but please put it in your own words, do not cut and paste as it may breach copyright.
Don't get spooked the 3 months for EHIC (European health insurance card, which replaced the E111) is not cumulative, it is up to 90 days per trip. What is cumulative is the 6 months for residency, technically if you are here for more than 6 months (183 days, ish) you become liable to Spanish tax. If you don't have an EHIC it is easy to get (type EHIC into google) and see for yourself. <SNIP> Also signing on the Padron is no big deal, you should also have an NIE, both no problem and will help if you want to open a bank account or you will need if you buy a car. Steve

Last edited by jdr; Nov 1st 2007 at 10:14 pm. Reason: deleted promotional URL
Old Nov 1st 2007, 9:32 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

If you REALLY want to read the NHS guidelines then you can get them here

http://www.ukgovabusesexpats.co.uk/W...%20Report..pdf
Old Nov 1st 2007, 10:19 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by Tinspell78
Don't get spooked the 3 months for EHIC (European health insurance card, which replaced the E111) is not cumulative, it is up to 90 days per trip. What is cumulative is the 6 months for residency, technically if you are here for more than 6 months (183 days, ish) you become liable to Spanish tax. If you don't have an EHIC it is easy to get (type EHIC into google) and see for yourself. <SNIP> Also signing on the Padron is no big deal, you should also have an NIE, both no problem and will help if you want to open a bank account or you will need if you buy a car. Steve
You are mistaking the tax residencia rule (6 months) for the residencia rule (3 months).

Read residency rules link in the free beer thread.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Tinspell78
If you don't have an EHIC it is easy to get (type EHIC into google) and see for yourself.
You are totally missing the point here. We are talking about getting healthcare in the UK when you are no longer resident (under the weird UK rules).

A UK issued EHIC gives emergency cover in the EU. You can only get a Spanish EHIC (valid for the UK) if you are a member of the Spanish health service.

As for tax residency it is 183 days in one calendar year. You can spend almost 1 year in Spain before you become tax resident - it depends on the dates.

Last edited by Fred James; Nov 1st 2007 at 10:33 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Registering at the Ayuntamiento

Originally Posted by Fred James
If you REALLY want to read the NHS guidelines then you can get them here

http://www.ukgovabusesexpats.co.uk/W...%20Report..pdf
Hi Fred James,

Had a quick look and para 36 on page 38 is interesting. Talks about state pensioners who divide their time between 2 EEA states and the entitlement to treatment in UK but you must not register as resident in the second state. This seems to say you must break the Law in Spain in order to get treatment in UK. Think the EU/EC might have something to say about that.

Regards,

John.

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Nov 2nd 2007 at 8:47 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 10:05 am

It really is a confusing situation and I doubt that people in the NHS actually bother to check the average elderly white English speaking patient who turns up and clearly has a UK address - there are too many real "health tourists" from all over the world to worry about.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 10:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Registering at the Ayuntamiento

Originally Posted by Fred James
It really is a confusing situation and I doubt that people in the NHS actually bother to check the average elderly white English speaking patient who turns up and clearly has a UK address - there are too many real "health tourists" from all over the world to worry about.
Hi Fred James,

Thats about to be me!

Regards,

John.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

sunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to all

So to clarify a point - if and when we go back to visit in the UK I can get a Spanish EHIC card to cover us for emergencies? Should we also get travel insurance when we go back? Also does anyone know how/where to apply for the EHIC in Spain?
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 11:22 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by sunnydee
So to clarify a point - if and when we go back to visit in the UK I can get a Spanish EHIC card to cover us for emergencies? Should we also get travel insurance when we go back? Also does anyone know how/where to apply for the EHIC in Spain?
You should be able to get a card from your clinic.
You should always have travel ins to get you back to your country of residence in case anything bad happens and you need serious and expensive medical treatment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.