Red diesel

Old Mar 25th 2008, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: In a place where Mimi Greensleeves, Dodgy Debsy and that there Lionda wont find me.
genegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Red diesel

Originally Posted by Sam Greenfield
Son did say sommat about if you keep it in a garage they should be ok coz it goes gloopy in cold temperatures - but not sure what vehicle hes on about - was talking to hubby at the time n he drives a ford transit - sorry Matt not much help i know
My terrano is outside all year round, during the last cold snap we had the locks froze solid but id no problem with the fuel. The place i buy it from told me they add some form of antifreeze to prevent it waxing.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Red diesel

Originally Posted by zel
....................but you don't need to know about a product/item you sell to sell it...............
That is precisely what is wrong with 99% of the shops/outlets around today - sales people really think that - chasing the buck and rag all service - scum!!

As you say fair dos for petrol & many food stuffs. But even for simple stuff like clothes & shoes - what is the on-cost to the actual product, and therefore us "the consumer" to cover returns for selling the "wrong" thing, or say in the the electrical goods market the lack of understanding when some pimple faced moron sells an arthritic granny a TV with remote buttons so small she sends the OS into meltdown everytime she changes channels?

I'm pleased you as car salesman pointed this out - it gives some honesty back to a profession that lets be blunt - is full of thieves and liars.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 12:03 am
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by leighbloke
I'm pleased you as car salesman pointed this out - it gives some honesty back to a profession that lets be blunt - is full of thieves and liars.
We'll you are probably aware from the help I give on this forum(s) that yeah we do actually know what we're doing when it comes to selling automobiles, in fact there is not much we do not know and that's probably why we've been around for 30 odd years and not had one single complaint, not one!

I would like to point out that the advice I give has always been free and I do not do it to tout for business, to be completely honest we have NEVER sold a vehicle to a user of this forums as far as I'm aware.

But yes, it does have a extremely bad image and rightly so, as most people don't know what they're doing or think it's just 'part of the game' the rip people off, it's pitiful and shameful but that's the fact of the matter unfortunately. Luckily in our market place we don't have to associate ourselves with these types as to be completely frank, if we did I wouldn't be doing it.

Believe it or not last year was my first UK car auction and boy was that an eye opener. I always imagine the Arthur Daley char was just blown out of proportion for TV sake... Not anymore! I was shocked what I witnessed!

For me personally selling the types of cars we do is not the only thing I do, but it's my passion as I respect the design/engineering that goes into the stuff we sell and love it when clients expect to get messed around, but do not and get a genuine product, for a genuine price with the full knowledge of our experience and help even years after selling them the vehicle.

Thankfully we've passed the stage of having to punt for business, most of our client base is selling to the trade or old repeat clients or friends of clients who have recommended us to them. But to be completely honest, if we had to start again it wouldn't be to hard as like you said in this industry it's rare to find someone you can trust, or actually knows about the vehicle in question or better alternatives.

It's nice to know what you're selling, but unfortunately as you've said it's rare these days in all walks of life!

Last edited by zel; Mar 26th 2008 at 12:05 am.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 12:10 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Rugbymatt, you are plainly no fool, my take on this is based on a degree of paranoia and the certainty that when it comes to chasing taxes and screwing you over if you are in the wrong, C&E have no equal.

As to costs of fuel. Diesel has shot up, IMO because they figured that once its cheapness had lured people into using it, they could screw the price up.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 12:21 am
Just Joined

Alba-gu-brath is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Now I have been told that my Discovery will run on veg oil quite happily but I will need to modify the fuel filter as it will clog quickly.......................any idea on the truth behind that?
When you start to use veg oil it will clear all of the dirt in the fuel pipes and clog the filter but once you change the original filter (after 1000 miles) you should have no problems you can use up to a 50/50 mix in summer but in winter change to 70/30 or you could buy a veg oil conversion kit that heats the oil and run on only veg oil . In spain you may get away with using more veg oil in the mix due to the heat like 20/80
what is the cost of veg oil in spain?
Old Mar 26th 2008, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zel
.........For me personally selling the types of cars we do is not the only thing I do, but it's my passion as I respect the design/engineering that goes into the stuff we sell..........
I might steer clear of the smart - but when the M5 gets too pedestrian for you, give me a bell.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bil
Rugbymatt, you are plainly no fool....
I cannot believe you said that out loud!!!!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 12:27 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Maniac, degenerate, smart alec, possibly but at least not stupid.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

john1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant future

A friend i played golf with today filled up in Gibraltor yesterday for 55p a litre. Useless info but i am drunk after a crap day on the course and rather sunburnt
Old Mar 26th 2008, 12:39 am
zel

Originally Posted by leighbloke
I might steer clear of the smart - but when the M5 gets too pedestrian for you, give me a bell.
The Smart is a brilliant idea! and the new ones drive really well (the first MK1 edition didn't like speed humps and had a small fuel tank) and to be honest off the mark it leaves most things behind (in normal city driving conditions) weirdly enough!

You can't beat 90+ MPG in the Smart CDI it makes all these stupid hybrids look a complete waste of time (which they are for the most part imo!)

My M5 is purely there to stomp around Europe in and the Tescos run Not to mention it doesn't inspire confidence if you turn up to a clients house wanting an Enzo in a Smart car

At least that's how I justify it to myself (and the other half)

Last edited by zel; Mar 26th 2008 at 12:44 am.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:08 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zel
We'll you are probably aware from the help I give on this forum(s) that yeah we do actually know what we're doing when it comes to selling automobiles, in fact there is not much we do not know and that's probably why we've been around for 30 odd years and not had one single complaint, not one!

I would like to point out that the advice I give has always been free and I do not do it to tout for business, to be completely honest we have NEVER sold a vehicle to a user of this forums as far as I'm aware.

But yes, it does have a extremely bad image and rightly so, as most people don't know what they're doing or think it's just 'part of the game' the rip people off, it's pitiful and shameful but that's the fact of the matter unfortunately. Luckily in our market place we don't have to associate ourselves with these types as to be completely frank, if we did I wouldn't be doing it.

Believe it or not last year was my first UK car auction and boy was that an eye opener. I always imagine the Arthur Daley char was just blown out of proportion for TV sake... Not anymore! I was shocked what I witnessed!

For me personally selling the types of cars we do is not the only thing I do, but it's my passion as I respect the design/engineering that goes into the stuff we sell and love it when clients expect to get messed around, but do not and get a genuine product, for a genuine price with the full knowledge of our experience and help even years after selling them the vehicle.

Thankfully we've passed the stage of having to punt for business, most of our client base is selling to the trade or old repeat clients or friends of clients who have recommended us to them. But to be completely honest, if we had to start again it wouldn't be to hard as like you said in this industry it's rare to find someone you can trust, or actually knows about the vehicle in question or better alternatives.

It's nice to know what you're selling, but unfortunately as you've said it's rare these days in all walks of life!
Good post Zel, your info is always top class and spot on replies on motoring in Europe and you are a very welcome contributor to the Europe forums. Keep up the good work.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 8:31 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zel

FYI, I've just had a quick google and it seems that Oil refinery processes have not increased in price that much over the past years, Just the price they buy Crude oil for has, which is directly controlled by Opec as they can control the supply for the current demand for Crude oil, until it runs out of course.
and that was actually the point I made.

The other point I was making was that you did make an assumption that he was maybe a "snyde" mason or person, I have no problem or issue with what you do, I was simply using it as an example of how people can make a judgement of something we know bugger all about.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 8:34 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alba-gu-brath
When you start to use veg oil it will clear all of the dirt in the fuel pipes and clog the filter but once you change the original filter (after 1000 miles) you should have no problems you can use up to a 50/50 mix in summer but in winter change to 70/30 or you could buy a veg oil conversion kit that heats the oil and run on only veg oil . In spain you may get away with using more veg oil in the mix due to the heat like 20/80
what is the cost of veg oil in spain?
would that be like a pre-heater?
Old Mar 26th 2008, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Ragomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
and that was actually the point I made.

The other point I was making was that you did make an assumption that he was maybe a "snyde" mason or person, I have no problem or issue with what you do, I was simply using it as an example of how people can make a judgement of something we know bugger all about.
That seems fair and square!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 8:44 am
zel

Originally Posted by jdr
Good post Zel, your info is always top class and spot on replies on motoring in Europe and you are a very welcome contributor to the Europe forums. Keep up the good work.
Thanks mate, it's nice to feel appreciated!

I'm in your neck of the woods next month for a meeting, I'll let you know nearer the time of the pub I shall be in if you want a pint on me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.