Red diesel

Old Mar 26th 2008, 8:44 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Red diesel

Originally Posted by Ragomuffin
That seems fair and square!
I only wrote it in the hope it would be picked up on.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 8:45 am
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point

As it seems people are discussing alternative fuels maybe you would find this an interesting read :

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol...cle3552994.ece

"Toyota Prius proves a gas guzzler in a race with the BMW 520d
The Toyota hybrid is hailed as an eco-paragon, so how does it fare against a big BMW? To find out our correspondents go on a run to Geneva"

Last edited by zel; Mar 26th 2008 at 9:09 am.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 8:55 am
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by genegenie
My terrano is outside all year round, during the last cold snap we had the locks froze solid but id no problem with the fuel. The place i buy it from told me they add some form of antifreeze to prevent it waxing.
You mustnt live as close to the hills as us then in proper Lancashire
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:03 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by genegenie
I run my Nissan Terrano on biodiesel made from waste vegetable oil. It retails in my area at 94p per litre and the price is coming down at some of the local outlets, not as cheap as red diesel but cheaper than the normal stuff and its legal. Might not be suitable for the hauliers etc. but its ok for the private user.
They were on today on the News about the fact they've discovered Jacarandas can be used to get oil that makes a bio diesel.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zel
As it seems people are discussing alternative fuels maybe you would find this an interesting read :

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol...cle3552994.ece

"Toyota Prius proves a gas guzzler in a race with the BMW 520d
The Toyota hybrid is hailed as an eco-paragon, so how does it fare against a big BMW? To find out our correspondents go on a run to Geneva"
Very interesting!
As I don't get to see much of the UK motoring press or TV anymore, did this get picked up on at all?
Tim
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:20 am
zel

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
The other point I was making was that you did make an assumption that he was maybe a "snyde" mason or person, I have no problem or issue with what you do, I was simply using it as an example of how people can make a judgement of something we know bugger all about.
How can one make an assumption that 'maybe' someone is <something>? Surely an assumption is that one is or isn't <something>?

When I indicate that someone could fall into either camps that is an indication that all is not as black and white as it seems, not that even being a 'proper' Mason is anything to sing and dance about and more importantly an indication of how honest one is, nor how much crap could come out of ones mouth.

As I have nothing else positive to reply to your posts, I shall stop replying to them as well it's all really rather pointless.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:22 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zel
As I have nothing else positive to reply to your posts, I shall stop replying to them as well it's all really rather pointless.
Yup
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:25 am
zel

Originally Posted by valenciatim
Very interesting!
As I don't get to see much of the UK motoring press or TV anymore, did this get picked up on at all?
Tim
Urm, Yeah Kinda.... It's always been 'thought' that the Toyota for one is a wolf in sheeps clothing but no-one seemed to give a damn about proving it with a real life road test.

Like someone replied to that article, it's not about the Co2 levels, the vast majority of people buying a Toyota are buying them because of the running costs and to be shown that in pound for pound journey costs it's relatively similar to a 5 Series has put the cat among the pigeons.

Living in London they're a bloody pet hate of mine, doing 5mph to keep their mpg down and to be completely honest I've only ever witnessed them being driven on leccy power ONCE and that was outside my house when a neighbour was reverse parking (was very odd not to hear an engine tho )

The be completely honest I'm entirely confused about the Green issue when it comes to the automotive industry and this country (UK)

There are 'better' hybrids out there, the Honda for one but yet it's not had UK type approval granted and 'traditional' fueled cars that ARE better for the environment (co2 wise) are out there but again not for sale in the UK. The Smart CDI for example, not available in the UK officially (there are lhd eu imports) and this vehicle has a lower G/KM Co2 output than the Toyota.

One has to ask yourself why? If 'Green' really is the issue? Perhaps one might form an opinion that the more 'green' vehicles in the country means less income to the government? Who knows, but it's hard to form an opinion to not suggest that when there are better, more environmentally friendly vehicles out there but not in the UK!

Last edited by zel; Mar 26th 2008 at 9:39 am.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 5:06 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't there a current discussion as to whether biofuels are actually more harmful (thru their production) than conventional fuels?
Old Mar 26th 2008, 5:27 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love to join in but I cant add any fuel to this arguement
Old Mar 26th 2008, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zel
There are 'better' hybrids out there, the Honda for one but yet it's not had UK type approval granted and 'traditional' fueled cars that ARE better for the environment (co2 wise) are out there but again not for sale in the UK. The Smart CDI for example, not available in the UK officially (there are lhd eu imports) and this vehicle has a lower G/KM Co2 output than the Toyota.
!.........
A couple of years ago there was a "cradle to grave" CO2 comparison done on around 20 cars. The study took into account CO2 generated in building, running for 100,000 miles and ultimate re-cycling/disposal.

From memory the Prius was worst by a fair margin - the best by a long chalk in overall "low" CO2 contribution was the gas guzzling, 20mpg, Jeep Wrangler.
The reason? - plastic and batteries - their production and re-cycling massively outweigh any possible benifits in emissions reduction during driving.

If what I am told is true the largest single "man made" contributer to CO2 is Cement?? - Don't even think of trying to use it in your diesel engine though even though it is pretty cheap per litre.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 5:59 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

There is a type of cement that actually absorbs CO2 during its lifespan.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:56 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I'd love to join in but I cant add any fuel to this arguement
Don't hold back, be brave and race ahead.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:56 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Don't hold back, be brave and race ahead.
I dont want to inflame the situation
Old Mar 26th 2008, 7:00 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I dont want to inflame the situation
I think we are already revved up so its not likely you will drive anyone to harsh words.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.