Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Recipe for baking a white bread (tin loaf)

Recipe for baking a white bread (tin loaf)

Old Jun 25th 2006, 1:40 am
What mysterious smile?

La Joconde is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Help Please - Recipe for baking a white bread (tin loaf)??

Does any know of an easy recipe for baking bread, taking into account that I do not have a bread making machine, and that it will all have to be done the old fashion way, by hand. Thanks a lot in advance.

Last edited by La Joconde; Jun 25th 2006 at 1:51 am.
Old Jun 25th 2006, 3:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help Please - Recipe for baking a white bread (tin loaf)??

Originally Posted by La Joconde
Does any know of an easy recipe for baking bread, taking into account that I do not have a bread making machine, and that it will all have to be done the old fashion way, by hand. Thanks a lot in advance.
Hola

There's one on www.acountrylife.com
Old Jun 25th 2006, 9:03 am
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi I have two recipes for making bread. I do have a breadmaker but I let it do all the work then finish off in the oven.. However the recipes are for making by hand. The first one I do regularly. Good luck because nothing tastes better than bread you have cooked yourself.

15 gr/1/2 oz fresh yeast or 2.5 ml/1/2 tbsp dried yeast
300 ml/ 1/2 pint of lukewarm milk
450 gr/1lb white flour
1 tsp salt
1tsp sugar
25gr/1oz butter (I use olive oil)

Mix yeast with a little of the milk to get a creamy liquid.
Put flour and the salt and sugar into a bowl and rub in butter or oil.
Stir in the yeast liquid and the rest of the milk to get a sofrndough
Turn on to a lightly floured work surface and knead until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 10 - 15 mins. Put in a clean bowl and cover with clingfilm. Stand in a warm place for 1 hour to rise.
Heat oven to 220C?425F/Gas 7 Lightly oil a 1Kg/21/4 bread tin.
Turn the dough on to the work surface again and knead for 5-10 mins. Shape the dough into a loaf shape to fit the tin and place in the tin. Cover with a clean tea towel and allow to rise back up again, about 15 mins.
bake in the oven until golden and risen, about 30 - 40 mins. the base of the loaf should sound hollow when you tap it. Turn on to a wire rack to cool.

Ingredients
500g/1lb 2oz strong flour
15g/½oz salt
55ml/2fl oz olive oil
20g/¾oz fresh yeast
275ml/9fl oz water

Method
1. Mix the all ingredients in a large bowl taking care not to put yeast on the top of the salt.
2. Knead well with your hands and knuckles until the dough is elastic, smooth and shiny. Cover with a piece of cling film and leave to rise for 1 hour.
3. Line a baking tin with baking parchment and mould the dough into a sausage and place in the tin.
4. Preheat your oven to 220C/450F/Gas 6, then leave the dough to rise for a further 30 minutes to 1 hour. Place the tin in the oven for 35 minutes. Remove from the tin, tap the bottom with your knuckles - if it sounds hollow, it's ready. Cool on a wire rack.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 1:51 am
What mysterious smile?

Thanks a lot for the recipes. They sound easy. I will give it a go this week. Should be quite a challenge kneading dough for 15 minutes, a real workout in this warm weather. But the thought of eating "hot bread" wont stop me! Will let you know how I got on. Bye bye for now.
Old Jul 1st 2006, 9:35 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Help Please - Recipe for baking a white bread (tin loaf)??

Thanks a lot for the recipes. They sound easy. I will give it a go this week. Should be quite a challenge kneading dough for 15 minutes, a real workout in this warm weather. But the thought of eating "hot bread" wont stop me! Will let you know how I got on. Bye bye for now.

Hi La Joconde

Did you make your bread? How did it go? Please let us know.
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 2:17 am
What mysterious smile?

Originally Posted by jjh
Hi La Joconde

Did you make your bread? How did it go? Please let us know.

Regrettably I have not done the bread, the weather has been so "bloomin' hot" that I really didnt think it wise to warm up the kitchen even more by having the oven on. I will try to bake a loaf, early one morning, i.e. about 6am, before the sun comes up while it is still cool, but then, my problem would be where to put the dough to rise in a warm place at that time of the day...aaaah life is full of little challenges...
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 4:55 am
jjh
BE Enthusiast

Regrettably I have not done the bread, the weather has been so "bloomin' hot" that I really didnt think it wise to warm up the kitchen even more by having the oven on. I will try to bake a loaf, early one morning, i.e. about 6am, before the sun comes up while it is still cool, but then, my problem would be where to put the dough to rise in a warm place at that time of the day...aaaah life is full of little challenges...
If it's electric, how about putting the oven on its lowest heat and standing the bowl in the middle of the oven. That should work.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 5:02 am
What mysterious smile?

Just call me lazy, but this morning I went to buy an Bread Machine, called a Bifinett Bread Maker, instructions in Spanish and in German, managed to decifer most of the spanish, but it didnt seem to say how long it takes to bake with the machine, luckily the Manufacturers Kompernass have a website and I was able to download the instructions in English. So should soon be tasting some hot bread...will keep you posted.

Reason for this, is that our bread delivery man has changed his route and wouldnt have been coming to us till 5pm in the afternoon, so a good incentive for me to start making my own bread when I am unable to go into town.

Enjoy this warm weather.....phew!
Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:19 am
jjh
BE Enthusiast

Smile Re: Help Please - Recipe for baking a white bread (tin loaf)??

Just call me lazy, but this morning I went to buy an Bread Machine, called a Bifinett Bread Maker, instructions in Spanish and in German, managed to decifer most of the spanish, but it didnt seem to say how long it takes to bake with the machine, luckily the Manufacturers Kompernass have a website and I was able to download the instructions in English. So should soon be tasting some hot bread...will keep you posted.

Reason for this, is that our bread delivery man has changed his route and wouldnt have been coming to us till 5pm in the afternoon, so a good incentive for me to start making my own bread when I am unable to go into town.

Enjoy this warm weather.....phew!
Mine's a Bifinett. I find that my bread doesn't stay risen when it gets to the baking stage. That's why I've started finishing it off in the oven. Can you let me know what happens with yours. Good luck, it's great fun and my hubby really enjoys the bread.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 8:53 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjh
Mine's a Bifinett. I find that my bread doesn't stay risen when it gets to the baking stage. That's why I've started finishing it off in the oven. Can you let me know what happens with yours. Good luck, it's great fun and my hubby really enjoys the bread.
I had this problem when I first used a bread machine.

I was following the recipes in the manual but they do not take into accouint the variations in bread flour. What was happening was that the mix was too wet and it would rise quickly and then flop. Sometimes the heating would kick in when the rise was at the top and sometimes when it had just flopped with the result that some loaves were perfect and others were not.

Eventually I solved the problem by reducing the water content. The machine can handle wet dough but if you were kneeding it yourself you would immediately recognise that it was too wet.

Just experiment with the water content until it works. I find that 400g of white Spanish flour needs about 275 ml of water.

Fred
Old Jul 13th 2006, 9:15 am
jjh
BE Enthusiast

Question Re: Help Please - Recipe for baking a white bread (tin loaf)??

Originally Posted by Fred James
I had this problem when I first used a bread machine.

I was following the recipes in the manual but they do not take into accouint the variations in bread flour. What was happening was that the mix was too wet and it would rise quickly and then flop. Sometimes the heating would kick in when the rise was at the top and sometimes when it had just flopped with the result that some loaves were perfect and others were not.

Eventually I solved the problem by reducing the water content. The machine can handle wet dough but if you were kneeding it yourself you would immediately recognise that it was too wet.

Just experiment with the water content until it works. I find that 400g of white Spanish flour needs about 275 ml of water.

Fred
Thanks Fred, I'll try that. I've been using 300 ml water with 500g Spanish white flour but I will reduce the water and see what happens.

One more thing, does your loaf brown on the top? My doesn't. Do you have a remedy for this as well?
Old Jul 13th 2006, 6:05 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjh
One more thing, does your loaf brown on the top? My doesn't. Do you have a remedy for this as well?
Yes it does but there is a setting for dark, medium or light. The light setting still browns adequately. It is a Panasonic machine.

Fred
Old Jul 14th 2006, 1:37 am
What mysterious smile?

Well Folks I did it.........and.....followed the recipe to the letter, and machine instructions, and....although the loaf was thoroughly cooked, I encountered the same problems as some of you,

Bread golden on the sides and as white as snow on the top, even set on the Obscuro, which is Brown.

The flour I used for the dough was Strong white flour, possible it it is the wrong one, I should have used plain white flour???

It smelled wonderful while baking.....

It came out of the tin very easily so I thought I was on a winner apart from the "pale finish".

When the bread cooled down, it sliced "fairly" easily, luckily we dont have dentures because it certainly needed some chewing, the crust was unedible ......so for a first effort, I would score me as follows out of 10

3 points for presentation
2 points for taste!!

It took 4 1/2 hours in total from the time I switched on the machine to finish. Does anyone know how much electrictiy this will cost.

My huby said that it must be the most expensive loaf of bread in the world, Euros 49 for the machine, plus ingredients, time and effort and electricity he makes it a total 100 euros...by golly I could have flown back to the UK with a cheap airlines, to buy a loaf and still have change to go for a menu del dia!!

Am determined to perfect this baking project so any suggestions for improvement are welcomed.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 1:52 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recipe for baking a white bread (tin loaf)

I can smell them cooking from here mmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old Jul 14th 2006, 2:43 am
Sun, Sea & Sangria.

BritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud of
Default Re: Recipe for baking a white bread (tin loaf)

You can't go wrong with good old Bimbo bread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.