Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Recipe for baking a white bread (tin loaf)

Recipe for baking a white bread (tin loaf)

Old Jul 14th 2006, 3:51 am
YMF
Forum Regular

YMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to all
Default Re: Recipe for baking a white bread (tin loaf)

Hi
I have a Panasonic SD 253 bread maker, it consistently makes excellent bread. Before I bought this model I borrowed another bread maker, (cannot remember the name) this always gave poor results unless I baked the bread in the oven.
I was advised that bread making flour in Spain is the one labelled Harina Extra, this is made by Gallo.
Hope this helps
Yvonne
Old Jul 14th 2006, 6:42 pm
What mysterious smile?

La Joconde is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by YMF
Hi
I have a Panasonic SD 253 bread maker, it consistently makes excellent bread. Before I bought this model I borrowed another bread maker, (cannot remember the name) this always gave poor results unless I baked the bread in the oven.
I was advised that bread making flour in Spain is the one labelled Harina Extra, this is made by Gallo.
Hope this helps
Yvonne
You are lucky with your breadmaking.

Thanks for the tip, I have seen the Harina Extra, but wasnt sure what it was for. Will try it next week for sure.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 9:30 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritBull
You can't go wrong with good old Bimbo bread

Old Jul 22nd 2006, 3:34 am
What mysterious smile?

A brief update on progress

This week I did a second attempt using spanish flour as suggested, in the excitement, I forgot to set the colour to Obscuro and left it on the original Claro (what a mistake to make heh!?).....and...the little loaf came out totally golden, exacty as I wanted, so a lesson learnt!

Although the loaf smelt fantastic, and look pretty good, and sliced well, the dough was still "tight" am not sure how much yeast I really need to use, I put one sachet as recommended and 2 tea spoons of Levandura, which helped a little as there was a slight improvement to the look and texture.

Hope you are enjoying the 44 degrees heatwave we are having!!
Keep cool.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 3:56 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by La Joconde

This week I did a second attempt using spanish flour as suggested, in the excitement, I forgot to set the colour to Obscuro and left it on the original Claro (what a mistake to make heh!?).....and...the little loaf came out totally golden, exacty as I wanted, so a lesson learnt!

Although the loaf smelt fantastic, and look pretty good, and sliced well, the dough was still "tight" am not sure how much yeast I really need to use, I put one sachet as recommended and 2 tea spoons of Levandura, which helped a little as there was a slight improvement to the look and texture.

Keep cool.
You are using yeast (levadura de panaderia) and levadura? Usually you only need the dried yeast -I think ordinary levadura is baking powder.

I use
400g Flour (Gallo Extra)
3/4 tsp yeast
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tbspn sugar
1 tbsp dried milk
15ml olive oil
275 ml water
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 4:45 am
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

Keep cool.

You can buy fresh yeast in Mercadona. It's in the chiller cabinet near the butter. I use 1/4 of the cube, mixed to a paste with some of the warm milk. This is for 450 grammes of flour and it works really well.

I will take your tip about leaving the colour on claro but can you tell me if your loaf still flops when it cooks, as mine does.

I'm enjoying the heatwave now the sizzling hot Levante wind has gone. Unfortunately, it took some of my plants with it.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 5:27 am
BE Enthusiast

CAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud of

I think bread making machines use only dried yeast and even then it seems that some dried yeast are only made for traditional hand baking - I made the mistake of buying and using some of this and found I ended up with very heavy bread. The best results have come from using Hovis dried yeast which it says on the packet can be used for both - I also used about a quarter of teaspoon more yeast than the recipe says. Not sure what brands you get in Spain - or whether they differentiate like this.

I find if I am not precise about the measurements (except the yeast) it ends up poor. I always use very slightly warm water and that goes in first with salt, butter, milk, sugar etc next followed by flour (various types) and lastly the yeast. White bread (large loaf) takes nearly 3 hours beginning to end and brown a bit longer. I have a Morphy Richards - much prefer this bread now - tastes like real bread and toasts wonderfully. Trouble is you eat too much!
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 5:44 am
YMF
Forum Regular

YMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Fred James
You are using yeast (levadura de panaderia) and levadura? Usually you only need the dried yeast -I think ordinary levadura is baking powder.

I use
400g Flour (Gallo Extra)
3/4 tsp yeast
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tbspn sugar
1 tbsp dried milk
15ml olive oil
275 ml water
My Panasonic book white loaf recipe is very similar, only difference is 1 tsp salt instead of 1 1/2
The order that you put the ingredients in is also important, in mine you put the yeast in first followed by the flour, it depends which machine you have.
The following is from the flour bin website:
Does it matter in what order the ingredients go into a bread machine?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

In most of them, yes. Assuming that your machine uses fast action easy blend yeast, there are 2 things to watch. Firstly, that the liquid & the yeast are kept apart until the machine starts. In other words, make sure that the flour is between the yeast and the water. Either yeast in first, then flour, then water, or the other way around. Secondly, keep the salt away from the yeast. It is probable that loading in the wrong order causes more failures than for any other reason.

Hope this helps to explain a bit more the mysteries of bread machines......and yes I know we can all go out and buy Bimbo bread!!!!!!
Old Jul 25th 2006, 2:52 am
What mysterious smile?

Another little update on my bread making progresses!

Very much appreciated all the advice.

I followed the last recipe (Fred's) as well as the order of the ingredients and the loaf, wasnt bad at all, if I may say so.

Very edible. But for some reason the dough doesnt look white at all, more beige. I tried Medio instead of Claro, and the whole loaf came out golden all over. So am happy about the finish.

As we couldnt eat the bread the following day (it was a bit dry!!), I made eggbread, (sliced bread soaked in beaten egg and then gently fried in butter) oh so tasty!! So no waste here.

So a bit more work on how to get the texture white and I will be a happy breat eater!! Any ideas. Sorry to be a bore, but I am a bit of a perfectionist.

Adios for now.

I know that there is always Bimbo, but it isnt really the same.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 3:38 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I followed the last recipe (Fred's) as well as the order of the ingredients and the loaf, wasnt bad at all, if I may say so.

Very edible. But for some reason the dough doesnt look white at all, more beige.

I'm glad it worked OK except for the colour. I have the same problem. I also use flour from the local baker and that comes out much the same.

If you look at most decent loaves in Spain they are rarely pure white. The ones that are probably use heavily bleached flour.

Once it is toasted it's no longer white anyway.