Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Realistic all year round employment in Ibiza!?!??

Realistic all year round employment in Ibiza!?!??

Old Dec 9th 2009, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

Karolina is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Realistic all year round employment in Ibiza!?!??

Hellooooo, thought this would be a good place to find out if my dream of living in ibiza was a realistic one - I speak basic spanish, my fiancee none (except dos cerveza por favor and lo siento!). he is a landscaper and tiler, my background is recruitment,sales and promotions. How likely is it that we could find full time all year round employment on the island? Tanks in advance!
Old Dec 9th 2009, 4:33 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Realistic all year round employment in Ibiza!?!??

have a look through recent threads which talk about employment here in Spain

there is about 20% unemployment here at the moment, so maybe not a good time to move

also I recently saw a news report about young spanish people from Ibiza movong to the mainland looking for work (the mainland port to Ibiza is the next town along the coast to me)
Old Dec 9th 2009, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Karolina
Hellooooo, thought this would be a good place to find out if my dream of living in ibiza was a realistic one - I speak basic spanish, my fiancee none (except dos cerveza por favor and lo siento!). he is a landscaper and tiler, my background is recruitment,sales and promotions. How likely is it that we could find full time all year round employment on the island? Tanks in advance!
the idea is still a while off, need to wait for the woldwide economy to sort itself out! will start having a look round the threads though, thanks!
Old Dec 9th 2009, 4:43 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

the idea is still a while off, need to wait for the woldwide economy to sort itself out! will start having a look round the threads though, thanks!
after the recession could be a whole different ballgame

in the meantime learn more spanish, and make him indoors do the same
Old Dec 9th 2009, 5:17 am
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

My OH used to live in Ibiza and said it's depressingly quiet in winter and that was before the economic crisis.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 7:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
after the recession could be a whole different ballgame

in the meantime learn more spanish, and make him indoors do the same
Or you could even learn Ibicenco
Old Dec 9th 2009, 7:36 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by cricketman
Or you could even learn Ibicenco
actually when I saw that news report some of the young people were interviewed & were presumably answering in Ibicenco

there were subtitles on the screen in Castellano!
Old Dec 9th 2009, 7:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Just reading today Spain accounted for 40% of the rise in unemployed in Europe since last October, with currently the highest rate of unemployed in Europe, higher than Lithuania! Mind you, listen to some on here and it's not too difficult to get a job!
España generó el 40% de los nuevos parados en la Unión Europea desde octubre
http://www.20minutos.es/noticia/473416/
Old Dec 9th 2009, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by agoreira
Just reading today Spain accounted for 40% of the rise in unemployed in Europe since last October, with currently the highest rate of unemployed in Europe, higher than Lithuania! Mind you, listen to some on here and it's not too difficult to get a job!
España generó el 40% de los nuevos parados en la Unión Europea desde octubre
http://www.20minutos.es/noticia/473416/
yikes, not sounding too optimistic at the mo! anyhoo it'll give me a chance to learn more spanish!
Old Dec 12th 2009, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest I haven't been to Ibiza for about 5 years but I did visit it at different times of the year and what I saw was like a ghost island in the winter months... OK it has it's locals but San Antonio and other areas just seemed to close down and cover everything with plastic, didn't look like a place where you would get all year round employment easily unless you had a shop. In the winter the only part of the island that seemed to have any life was in Ibiza town but even that was subdued compared to the warmer months... mind you things might have changed over the last few years but I doubt it.

On a side note, personally I wouldn't go back there, it didn't have the impact on me that say Majorca had (which I found a great island if you keep away from the East side).
Old Dec 15th 2009, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

You have very little chance of working there fulltime unless you speak reasonable spanish , even then it wont be easy.

You need genuine trades from what Ive seen , maybe you could learn web / graphic design or something that allows you to work self employed from home.

As for your chap there`s are a lot with his skills out of work ,the construction industry is dead ,the only foreigners I know who are busy are mechanics.

Unlike the U.K only the very best seem to survive here, being average in any profession is not good enough.

Rgds

Rotor