Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Re-matriculation to Spanish plates

Re-matriculation to Spanish plates

Old Oct 25th 2019, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

jonnymc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re-matriculation to Spanish plates

I have started the process of registering my car in Spain last week, I have had the first engineer inspection but not the full ITV as yet, If I get stopped by police can they see my car on their system?

I dont want to have my motor seized while its getting onto ES plates, anyone know the score?
Old Oct 25th 2019, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

Lmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re-matriculation to Spanish plates

I’m assuming it’s still on Uk plates? If it has current mot and insurance you should be ok.
Old Oct 25th 2019, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

Yeah its all legit, Im going to see if I can get a copy of the engineers paperwork and keep it in the car incase I ever got stopped.
Old Oct 25th 2019, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lmj2018
I’m assuming it’s still on Uk plates? If it has current mot and insurance you should be ok.
'Should' but it's not assured because according to the letter of the law if you're resident you shouldn't even be driving a UK regged car in the first place so actually you're at risk each and every time you venture out on the road.

It's not common but it does happen.

PS: if you've been tooling around in it since you moved in 2015 you've had a good run of luck 🤞

Last edited by Notdunroamin; Oct 25th 2019 at 2:24 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2019, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

Lmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond repute

However if you’re in the process of matriculation as you’ve just had your residency done you “should” be ok. This is what we did, we had it on Spanish plates a couple of weeks after getting residency.
also it depends what license you have, Uk or Spanish
you can drive a Uk registered car with a Spanish license and if you’re resident in Spain. A hire car in Uk for example, plus a Uk car in Spain if the owner is with you

Last edited by Lmj2018; Oct 25th 2019 at 2:42 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2019, 5:26 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

So how long have been living in Spain’s and driving it?
Old Oct 26th 2019, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

-2 weeks under the legal limit
Old Oct 26th 2019, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lmj2018
also it depends what license you have, Uk or Spanish
you can drive a Uk registered car with a Spanish license and if you’re resident in Spain. A hire car in Uk for example, plus a Uk car in Spain if the owner is with you
Which licence you have is irrelevant, perhaps you're mistaking being stopped by the Gardia in a UK car with a UK licence as being legal when all that's happened is that they'll think they've stopped a UK holidaymaker, what reason would they have to reason to think otherwise. That's why so many have been getting away with it for so long!

Hire cars are something completely separate, obviously!
Old Oct 27th 2019, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
being stopped by the Gardia in a UK car with a UK licence as being legal when all that's happened is that they'll think they've stopped a UK holidaymaker, what reason would they have to reason to think otherwise. That's why so many have been getting away with it for so long!
Oh they know, my father in law was stopped earlier this year when he moved a friends Uk reg LHD car from one of his homes to the other. The Gardia knew the car didn't have UK tax or a current Mot and impounded it and even told him when it last came into spain. I think its been crushed now.

The Gardia have direct access to the Uk DVLA database and also to the port and channel tunnel database with all the info on vehicle movements.
Old Oct 28th 2019, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Serves him and his friend right is all I can say to that but the tale is not really relevant to my comments re driving licences.
Old Oct 30th 2019, 5:34 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barriej
Oh they know, my father in law was stopped earlier this year when he moved a friends Uk reg LHD car from one of his homes to the other. The Gardia knew the car didn't have UK tax or a current Mot and impounded it and even told him when it last came into spain. I think its been crushed now.

The Gardia have direct access to the Uk DVLA database and also to the port and channel tunnel database with all the info on vehicle movements.
I am glad to hear about one more illegal car off the road.
Old Oct 30th 2019, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
I am glad to hear about one more illegal car off the road.
Agreed and I think the father in law moved it so it would be stopped and taken off the road. The owner is a very rich bloke but seems to think the rules don't apply to him.