Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Rateable values

Rateable values

Old Oct 18th 2007, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rateable values

How do you find out your rateable value? Just when I thought we had overpaid on the wealth tax (358€) I now find we have another type of tax to pay as well based on the rateable value, something called Own Use Tax?

Our solicitor said they would handle all fiscal duties for us, but I like to make sure we are not paying too much or even paying for things we know nothing about!
Old Oct 18th 2007, 8:35 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rateable values

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
How do you find out your rateable value? Just when I thought we had overpaid on the wealth tax (358€) I now find we have another type of tax to pay as well based on the rateable value, something called Own Use Tax?
Our solicitor said they would handle all fiscal duties for us, but I like to make sure we are not paying too much or even paying for things we know nothing about!
Sorry for not aready knowing this for sure, but are you residents or property owners who live in the UK?
Old Oct 19th 2007, 6:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

We have a villa but are resident in the UK. It is not rented out at all and we have a huge mortgage on it, which the solicitor said would be taken into account when calculating the wealth tax, but that doesn't seem so!

So the fact that we may have yet another tax to pay doesn't help!
Old Oct 19th 2007, 6:59 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Not heard of that tax here in Spain, but then again we are residents. We only pay the wealth tax, urbanisation fees and SUMA, which is the Spainish Council Tax, and is usually peanuts compared with the UK.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 7:34 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I think you mean the Catastral value. This should be shown on your receipts for your local taxes (IBI).

The tax you are referring to is the property owner's imputed income tax. It is calculated as being a notional income of 2% (or in some cases 1.1%) of the Catastral value. The tax is 24% of this notional income.

It is paid by all non residents even if they do not let their house. If they do receive rental income this will also be liable for income tax.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 10:13 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

We have a villa but are resident in the UK. It is not rented out at all and we have a huge mortgage on it, which the solicitor said would be taken into account when calculating the wealth tax, but that doesn't seem so!

So the fact that we may have yet another tax to pay doesn't help!
Obviously I dont know your circumstances, but as a non resident you only pay wealth tax on your Spanish assets, but unfortunately you dont get any of the allowances that residents get .... so you will be paying wealth tax on your Spanish assets less the mortgage deduction, from the first euro of value.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks all, the tax is as Fred James said.

I think the best thing I can do is bury my head in the sand and leave it all to the solicitor! Even if I do feel I'm paying over the odds.