Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Any work for carpenters in Madrid?

Any work for carpenters in Madrid?

Old Oct 18th 2007, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

Econnor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any work for carpenters in Madrid?

I am moving over to madrid end of the year, as my girlfriend has secured a job over there.
Does anyone know of any building companies that would need carpenters? or know how easy it is to find work in Madrid within the construction industry?
I will have only a basic knowledge of spanish to begin with.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Tim
Old Oct 18th 2007, 10:56 pm
Banned

Spain4me is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any work for carpenters in Madrid?

Welcome Tim

Should think wood is wood the world over so dont think you will have any problems .
Old Oct 19th 2007, 6:32 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

The only problem is they don`t use a lot of wood on new builds in Spain, even a lot of the door frames and even the studwork walls (if used) are metal.
Maybe some work on kitchen fitting or wardrobes, but not much else i am afraid.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 7:03 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Free Beer thread has a site for job seekers.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 9:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Free Beer thread has a site for job seekers.
Thanks guys
I had a look on that website but unfortunately nothing came up for carpenters in Madrid. Will keep trying though and hopefully I can get some contacts in the next few months.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 11:49 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Econnor
Thanks guys
I had a look on that website but unfortunately nothing came up for carpenters in Madrid. Will keep trying though and hopefully I can get some contacts in the next few months.
Sadly I would echo what jdr said.

its not that there isn't any chippies in Spain its just that the demand for them is not high due to the manner of building work there.

Good luck though, try and do a search on the top of the forum page as well and see what comes up.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

Hothereinnit has a spectacular aura aboutHothereinnit has a spectacular aura aboutHothereinnit has a spectacular aura about

Hi, i'm a Plumber and I recently moved to Madrid (September) from Glasgow so i'm pretty green but managed to get a job with a Plumbing company today with a view to start next week, so I can give you what little info I have. I received my 'Numero De Identidad De Extranjero' on Tuesday this week from the office in 'Plaza De Campillo Del Nuevo Mundo, no3' (about 5 minutes walk from Puerta de Toledo Metro station). It took a month from picking up the application to the date of interview and cost 6 Euro's. I now need to get 'Numero De Seguridad Social' from 'Tesoreria De Seguridad Social' on Avenida Mediterraneo then I should be good to go. To be honest the whole interview type meeting was pretty laid back, I think the Spanish firms are used to guys turning up without tools claiming to be Plumbers, Sparks, Joiners etc - same as UK, so bring your tools if at all possible. I got help from a friend of my girlfriend who is an Architects assistant so can't help too much with the search side but will post any new info when I get it. You probably had most of this anyway but hope it was of some use.

Cheers, Neil.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 9:58 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hothereinnit
I think the Spanish firms are used to guys turning up without tools claiming to be Plumbers, Sparks, Joiners etc - same as UK, so bring your tools if at all possible.
Another clear illustration as to why I try only to use Spanish recommended workmen here now rather than risk some Brit whos only experience of plumbing might have been fixing his Grandmothers boiler.

(Not aimed at you Neil, just your observation as to how easy it is to get a job untrained with possibly no experience)
Old Oct 19th 2007, 10:02 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, i'm a Plumber and I recently moved to Madrid (September) from Glasgow so i'm pretty green but managed to get a job with a Plumbing company today with a view to start next week, so I can give you what little info I have. I received my 'Numero De Identidad De Extranjero' on Tuesday this week from the office in 'Plaza De Campillo Del Nuevo Mundo, no3' (about 5 minutes walk from Puerta de Toledo Metro station). It took a month from picking up the application to the date of interview and cost 6 Euro's. I now need to get 'Numero De Seguridad Social' from 'Tesoreria De Seguridad Social' on Avenida Mediterraneo then I should be good to go. To be honest the whole interview type meeting was pretty laid back, I think the Spanish firms are used to guys turning up without tools claiming to be Plumbers, Sparks, Joiners etc - same as UK, so bring your tools if at all possible. I got help from a friend of my girlfriend who is an Architects assistant so can't help too much with the search side but will post any new info when I get it. You probably had most of this anyway but hope it was of some use.

Cheers, Neil.
You will find the plumbing in Spain slightly different from Glasgow. ;-))
Old Oct 19th 2007, 10:04 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
You will find the plumbing in Spain slightly different from Glasgow. ;-))
Yes ...... in Glasgow they hit you over the head with a length of pipe afterwards
Old Oct 19th 2007, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

Hothereinnit has a spectacular aura aboutHothereinnit has a spectacular aura aboutHothereinnit has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Another clear illustration as to why I try only to use Spanish recommended workmen here now rather than risk some Brit whos only experience of plumbing might have been fixing his Grandmothers boiler.

(Not aimed at you Neil, just your observation as to how easy it is to get a job untrained with possibly no experience)
The point I obviously didn't make clear was that if you present yourself with trade papers and tools then you are distinguishing yourself from that type of worker.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 10:20 pm
Dipsomaniac

mikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to behold

But can you sing, or play the drums or piano? Real carpenters can
Old Oct 19th 2007, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

Carpenters are musically gifted, Plumbers struggle with CD players but i'm working on it...
Old Oct 20th 2007, 9:29 am
Just Joined

Carpenters are musically gifted, Plumbers struggle with CD players but i'm working on it...
Thanks Neil for your advice.
I shall bring as many tools as possible - only problem is the voltage may be different? my power tools are 110V.
Well, all failing I can always busk on the street with my guitar!
Old Oct 20th 2007, 11:33 am
Just Joined

I asked about that and was just told 230v. You could always use your 110 & transformers but it's extra weight and valuable space during your move. Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.