Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Questions from an elderly friend thinking of returning to Spain

Questions from an elderly friend thinking of returning to Spain

Old Nov 29th 2015, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Cats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant future
Default Questions from an elderly friend thinking of returning to Spain

A friend who is now 86 and in reasonably good health is thinking of of returning to Spain and has a couple of questions I have, so far, been unable to answer. She previously lived in Spain for 20 years and does still speak a reasonable amount of Spanish so should have no problem returning to the coastal area she previously lived in. The questions are:

Is there an upper age limit for having a Spanish driving licence other than being able to pass the medical? She got caught at 76 with being unable to hire a car when she came to visit so wonders if there might be an upper limit for the licence or insurance.

Being a pensioner she would be able to get an S1 to cover her health matters but if the UK decide to leave the EU would the health cover continue or not? I thought the answer might be "how long is a piece of string" on this but perhaps someone knows if there would be a problem?
Old Nov 29th 2015, 2:00 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions from an elderly friend thinking of returning to Spain

Please be advised:
1. Provided she is able to prove she can see with or without spectacles, there is no upper limit for license or car insurance. Many hire companies do have lower and upper age restrictions. You may find this link helpful > Is there an upper age limit for car hire - Saga
2. Your friend may like to ask her MP if he/she can answer the second question
Old Nov 30th 2015, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

Cats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant future

Thank you for your answers. I will suggest she speaks to her MP as you suggest although going by most politicians he/she will probably speak for ages without giving an actual answer. Worth a shot though.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 3:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cats-R-Us
Thank you for your answers. I will suggest she speaks to her MP as you suggest although going by most politicians he/she will probably speak for ages without giving an actual answer. Worth a shot though.
I doubt they will have a clue as to the answer to that one to be honest. My guess is they will decide on when or if the decision is made to leave, expats are not on their radar let's be honest.