Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Questions to ask schools.....

Questions to ask schools.....

Old May 7th 2014, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

t2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond repute
Default Questions to ask schools.....

Hi, we're over in Barcelona at the moment to visit schools and potential homes for when we move over in late July/August time. I'm knackered from an early start to the airport and dragging little toddler Daisy on her first and very eventful easy jet flight. We've just managed to get her asleep and I'm too kerphuckled to think straight tonight. Absolutely drained. Anyways, We have no prior experience of private schools in Spain. I wondered if anyone here had any experience of them, and could throw some nuggets of advice or key things to notice for when we visit our first two tomorrow. Anything at all really to help us look less like exhausted parents and maybe give us a headsup on things you think we should be checking. All advice great fully received. Ta.
Old May 7th 2014, 8:53 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions to ask schools.....

Originally Posted by t2uds
Hi, we're over in Barcelona at the moment to visit schools and potential homes for when we move over in late July/August time. I'm knackered from an early start to the airport and dragging little toddler Daisy on her first and very eventful easy jet flight. We've just managed to get her asleep and I'm too kerphuckled to think straight tonight. Absolutely drained. Anyways, We have no prior experience of private schools in Spain. I wondered if anyone here had any experience of them, and could throw some nuggets of advice or key things to notice for when we visit our first two tomorrow. Anything at all really to help us look less like exhausted parents and maybe give us a headsup on things you think we should be checking. All advice great fully received. Ta.
I guess my first question is - "do you mean private?"

Our children started at a state school for their primary years and that was fine. They then went to secondary school which was a 'concertado' (semi-private). We were very lucky - the quality of education there is very, very much better.

Why are you thinking of private schooling? What do you hope to achieve?
Old May 8th 2014, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

t2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I guess my first question is - "do you mean private?"

Our children started at a state school for their primary years and that was fine. They then went to secondary school which was a 'concertado' (semi-private). We were very lucky - the quality of education there is very, very much better.

Why are you thinking of private schooling? What do you hope to achieve?
Hi, thanks for the reply.

Ok, private because we're lucky in that the company is paying for it as part of our relocation package. English curriculum, because you never know we may not like it over here and want to return to blighty the easiest. We've been through all the Spanish versus International versus English. And thought long and hard about it. So no need to go over that bit again our decision is made and we are visiting a few of them this trip, and a few next trip in a few weeks. Our daughter won't start until next year as she is 3 next December. But as places are tight in some of the schools due to the smaller class numbers, we have been advised by the relocation people to reserve a place now. So any personal nuggets of advice much appreciated. Cheers

Last edited by t2uds; May 8th 2014 at 6:52 am.
Old May 8th 2014, 6:59 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Ok, private because we're lucky in that the company is paying for it as part of our relocation package. English curriculum, because you never know we may not like it over here and want to return to blighty the easiest. We've been through all the Spanish versus International versus English. And thought long and hard about it. So no need to go over that bit again our decision is made and we are visiting a few of them this trip, and a few next trip in a few weeks. Our daughter won't start until next year as she is 3 next December. But as places are tight in some of the schools due to the smaller class numbers, we have been advised by the relocation people to reserve a place now. So any personal nuggets of advice much appreciated. Cheers
tbh it's a very personal thing

what kind of educational experience do you want your child to have?

once you have decided that, you'll know what questions YOU need to ask

there are two International/British schools near me - each VERY different to the other

if you love the ethos at one, you'll really hate the other - though apparently as far as exam results are concerned there is little between them

only you can know what you want to know & what questions you need to ask
Old May 8th 2014, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Questions to ask schools.....

Hi, at your daughters age unless you are planning to stay put for years then you just need to look carefully at the quality of the teaching staff, they vary from young inexperienced but energetic to old and lack lustre, the ownership of the school as that may just be a business person making money out of education, the quality of the activities offered and finally the type of other children going to that school. All private schools are out to make money so they do not always pay their staff much and facilities can be compromised. Be careful!
Old May 8th 2014, 8:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair, I doubt there are many schools that teach the English curriculum near Barcelona. Probably best take the one closest to your house. However, to me, I'd want to make sure that they are taught and exposed to a lot of Spanish and Catalan.

My children are going to private schools not concertados. Concertados in Asturias are all religious schools and I am not happy about that at all.

The first school our children are going to is a "pedagogia activa" school where there are no teachers, just "helpers". It is a bit like a montesorri school. Looks lots of fun. Then at 6 years old we will decide whether to keep them there or move them to the very good private school my wife went to which is more academic
Old May 8th 2014, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

If you can find out about staff turnover then that's a good indicator, as is whether they let you inside a classroom on your visit.

If Madrid is anything to go by, some (maybe most) of the international schools will have over 90% Spanish kids, from wealthy parents who want them to have native English, and those kids will speak Spanish (Catalan in Barcelona) outside of class. Other schools have kids from all over the world and they mainly speak English outside of class. In the latter many kids don't really pick up the local language at all, and live in a slight "bubble". As your child is young I would personally recommend sending her to a school where the kids speak the local language as it will encourage her to pick it up. Also if you end up spending many years there, it would be better for her to make local friends and establish roots there. The downside to this is that if you are relying on the school for your own social life as well (making friends with the other parents) then that might be easier at a school where the parents mainly speak English. Either way, it's something you need to find out on your visit.

Last edited by chopera; May 8th 2014 at 8:34 am.
Old May 8th 2014, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisjolly
you just need to look carefully at the quality of the teaching staff, they vary from young inexperienced but energetic to old and lack lustre,
Cheers mate