Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Question about Nerja

Question about Nerja

Old Mar 12th 2012, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Question about Nerja

We are thinking about renting a holiday apartment in Nerja this summer. We've been looking at the listings and it seems that most of the ones available don't have air conditioning. We're wondering if that matters. Will we swelter without air conditioning? Does it get really hot and humid in Nerja in July and August? Or is it fairly cool because of the ocean breeze?

Thanks.
Eric S.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 7:35 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about Nerja

It depends if you are used to hot, humid weather. Some of the people who live there go back to the UK in July and August to escape the heat.

The temperatures will be over 30c every day and often reach 35c. Occasionally it may go even higher. The humidity varies a lot but August is worse than July. Last year it averaged 60%. Night time temperatures will not drop below 20c and often reach 25c.

You don't get any ocean breezes just the occasional light breeze. Nearer Malaga the light breeze can be extremely hot - over 40c.

A lot will depend on the property you rent. If it is in a relatively open position with lots of windows it will be better than one on a densely packed urbanisation.

It is possible to rent portable aircon units which might be an option for you.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

Jontee has a spectacular aura aboutJontee has a spectacular aura aboutJontee has a spectacular aura about

I do not have air con, but I do have ceiling fans and persiana blinds on the windows. So through the height of summer I sleep with windows and doors wide open, blinds closed and ceiling fans on all night. I actually prefer this to air-con, and very cheap. During the day time I just open windows and this gives a breeze. OK the breeze is not a cool breeze but is fine for me. I also use a freestanding fan. The buildings here are not built to the same standard as UK, so actually they do keep much cooler.
If you find an apartment with air-con it is likely that you will pay a premium for the electricity for the air con as some visitors think nothing of switching it on and leaving it on all day, even if they go out. Electricity is expensive in Spain, so most owners cannot afford to allow this kind of action. (I was told by someone that they rented out their apartment last winter and found out that the clients were leaving the oven on all evening with the door open to boost the room temperature!)
Most details of rental properties will hopefully explain exactly what appliances are available, so just check to see whether there are any fans or ceiling fans if there is no air con.
Enjoy your visit.

Last edited by Jontee; Mar 12th 2012 at 10:04 am.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

If your apartment is South or West facing you WILL NEED Air Con if you are not used to the heat.

If you have north facing or east facing rooms and can ventilate through windows facing that direction you may be OK.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 12:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jontee
I do not have air con, but I do have ceiling fans and persiana blinds on the windows. So through the height of summer I sleep with windows and doors wide open, blinds closed and ceiling fans on all night.
You obviously don't live in Calle Real, stayed there a few times, and around 3-4am every morning the binmen came around emptying the rubbish, including all the empty bottles from the bars/restaurants! What a bloody row!
Old Mar 12th 2012, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

Jontee has a spectacular aura aboutJontee has a spectacular aura aboutJontee has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by agoreira
You obviously don't live in Calle Real, stayed there a few times, and around 3-4am every morning the binmen came around emptying the rubbish, including all the empty bottles from the bars/restaurants! What a bloody row!
Luckily no! I am just outside village, so no such problem.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

I would look for a place with aircon if I was you.You would have a much more comfortable stay.

The summer months can be very hot.I have come to dread august temperatures.We have full centralised aircon in our house but the heat still zaps my energy.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for the replies. I guess we'll concentrate on the ones with air conditioning.

- Eric S.