Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Motorbikes, licensing and insurance

Motorbikes, licensing and insurance

Old Mar 11th 2012, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

82mph is a jewel in the rough82mph is a jewel in the rough82mph is a jewel in the rough82mph is a jewel in the rough82mph is a jewel in the rough
Default Motorbikes, licensing and insurance

Apologies in advance. I know this topic is constantly reappearing and does seem to get people's backs up but I have searched and can't find exactly what I'm looking for.

Firstly, from looking around the forum/web it does seem to be the case that it is legal to ride up to a 125cc motorbike on a UK, class B license, providing it has been held for over three years. My first question is how this affects the insurance premium. Is there a big difference in the cost between insuring on a UK vs a Spanish license? Having spoken to a couple of insurers, I have had some strange responses, mostly to questions which I haven't asked! So, I was hoping someone with first hand experience could help. In addition, are there certain companies that anyone could recommend for insuring on a UK license?

All that said, my preferred option would be to exchange my license. I am settled here, have no plans to return and it therefore seems to make sense (presumably if I did ever go back I could change the Spanish license for a UK one just as easily). Ultimately, my intention is to take the full motorcycle license here, but in the meantime, would I be able to ride a 125 or would my new, Spanish, class B license be classed as a new license, meaning I would need to wait 3 years to have the entitlement?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and apologies again if this has been covered previously.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 5:45 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Motorbikes, licensing and insurance

Originally Posted by 82mph
Apologies in advance. I know this topic is constantly reappearing and does seem to get people's backs up but I have searched and can't find exactly what I'm looking for.

Firstly, from looking around the forum/web it does seem to be the case that it is legal to ride up to a 125cc motorbike on a UK, class B license, providing it has been held for over three years. My first question is how this affects the insurance premium. Is there a big difference in the cost between insuring on a UK vs a Spanish license? Having spoken to a couple of insurers, I have had some strange responses, mostly to questions which I haven't asked! So, I was hoping someone with first hand experience could help. In addition, are there certain companies that anyone could recommend for insuring on a UK license?

All that said, my preferred option would be to exchange my license. I am settled here, have no plans to return and it therefore seems to make sense (presumably if I did ever go back I could change the Spanish license for a UK one just as easily). Ultimately, my intention is to take the full motorcycle license here, but in the meantime, would I be able to ride a 125 or would my new, Spanish, class B license be classed as a new license, meaning I would need to wait 3 years to have the entitlement?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and apologies again if this has been covered previously.
I presume you mean a full licence, as provisional UK licences arent accepted over here. To my knowledge there is no difference in insurance premiums between Spanish or UK licences, according to Mapfre anyway
Old Mar 11th 2012, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

82mph is a jewel in the rough82mph is a jewel in the rough82mph is a jewel in the rough82mph is a jewel in the rough82mph is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the response. Yes, it's a full UK license.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 7:03 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 82mph
Thanks for the response. Yes, it's a full UK license.
Your UK licence expires 10 years after it is issued anyway, and the way things stand you cant legally apply for a new one if you are not a UK resident.

The only thing I have heard is that you have to carefully check the groups on your new Spanish one as sometimes they miss a group off when they issue. Other than that it is supposed to be a relatively simple thing to to
Old Mar 11th 2012, 7:10 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

In general terms you can simply swap your full UK licence for a Spanish one and not have to do the medical. That said if your licence is due to run out, they may ask you for a medical.

I can not remember classes for motorbike licences here (and am out of touch with the UK motorbike licence having passed my test in 1962) so that question would have to be specifically asked as in "What types of motorbike licences are there in Spain"

So I am sure another friendly soul will be along shortly to answer that

Davexf
Old Mar 11th 2012, 7:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Mitzy you are rigtht re holding uk licence and living in EU as I have just had to change my paper licence for photo one and it has the 6 month criteria if living out of the Uk, even in the EU. Thing is when all them years ago we joined the EU or should I say common market, I thought it wasn't meant to matter re things like licences as they covered you in EU countries. I also thought that was why the photo licence came in to comply with the EU. Seems to me another one of the many miss truths we were told all them years ago.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 7:31 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Mitzy you are rigtht re holding uk licence and living in EU as I have just had to change my paper licence for photo one and it has the 6 month criteria if living out of the Uk, even in the EU. Thing is when all them years ago we joined the EU or should I say common market, I thought it wasn't meant to matter re things like licences as they covered you in EU countries. I also thought that was why the photo licence came in to comply with the EU. Seems to me another one of the many miss truths we were told all them years ago.
but you don't have to change your licence until it expires.........
Old Mar 11th 2012, 8:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

It is quite vague on the application form and srates to be normally resident in the uk you must usually live in the uk for 185 days in each calendar year. Other daft thing bearing in mind I was changing the licence as I had moved house you have to have the photo certified as you by someone whol has known you at least 2 years not a relative, not somone who lives in the same house could be difficult depending how far you have moved.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replies. My UK license doesn't expire until 2016 but I want to change it anyway so I can get started on the motorbike license here.

My worry is that (as my UK license is only cat B) my Spanish license will be classed as a new license and I will therefore have to wait 3 years to ride a bike. Anyone know anything about this?
Old Mar 12th 2012, 7:27 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

There will be no problem because the Spanish licence will show the date that you gained the entitlement for that class in the UK.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Perfect! Thanks very much! I'll let you know how I get on.