Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The Queen's speech

The Queen's speech

Old Dec 26th 2021, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Queen's speech

I always find it interesting to compare the Queen's speech with that of the Spanish king.
Hers was short, barely 6 minutes, and talked of family values, the simple things that children can teach us and of course the baby in Bethlehem.
His was long, almost 12½ minutes, devoid of anything meaningful and really could have been written for almost any European Republic.
I just hope Felipe listens and learns.
Old Dec 26th 2021, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Queen's speech

Originally Posted by Retired in Euskadi
I always find it interesting to compare the Queen's speech with that of the Spanish king.
Hers was short, barely 6 minutes, and talked of family values, the simple things that children can teach us and of course the baby in Bethlehem.
His was long, almost 12½ minutes, devoid of anything meaningful and really could have been written for almost any European Republic.
I thought Felipe's speech was modern and extremely diplomatic. Even the main parties applauded it. It didnt rely on emotion and sentiment but firm allegiance to the constitution with an indirect criticism of his father, sister and brother-in-law. The Queen's speech for me just seemed like an extension of Netflix's The Crown.
Old Dec 26th 2021, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

CamemBert is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Retired in Euskadi
I thought similar. Except that he wasn’t actually advocating the guillotine, so I’m not sure why it would be for a republic. But as a rule I find his speeches pretty bland.
Old Dec 26th 2021, 9:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
I thought Felipe's speech was modern and extremely diplomatic. Even the main parties applauded it. It didnt rely on emotion and sentiment but firm allegiance to the constitution with an indirect criticism of his father, sister and brother-in-law. The Queen's speech for me just seemed like an extension of Netflix's The Crown.
Netflix copy the Queen not the Queen copying Netflix. Given her age and length of rein she isn't going to change how she reins and personally I don't see why she needs to.
Old Dec 26th 2021, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

She's doing something right, she's still very very popular in international polls as are all the working Royals, with William and Kate shooting up in popularity. Her speech we concise and well delivered as usual. Given the year she's had with loosing Phillip and the appalling behaviour of Meghan and Harry Windsor its a wonder she's still with us.
Old Dec 27th 2021, 3:11 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by bob_bob
She's doing something right, she's still very very popular in international polls as are all the working Royals, with William and Kate shooting up in popularity. Her speech we concise and well delivered as usual. Given the year she's had with loosing Phillip and the appalling behaviour of Meghan and Harry Windsor its a wonder she's still with us.

Quite. I rate her.

We both thought she had lost far too much weight though.
Old Dec 27th 2021, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

She's had medical issues recently so any weight loss may well be due to a change in diet/eating habits; we know she's had to cut down on alcohol so thats a chunk of calories she's lost per day and the quacks will have ordered a reduction in fats so there goes the afternoon cream cakes etc

At her age she could go to bed and just not wake up but I sincerely hope she sees it through the celebrations next year.

Harry and Meghan did so much harm these last months but in a way positive things have come from that, Charles and Camilla have stepped up to the plate and William and Kate are shinning through, all of them have raised their public profiles and the public are far more aware of the the work they do...never thought we'd see the Queen having video/zoom calls, its great stuff.
Old Dec 28th 2021, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

SteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond repute

Could someone tell me why so many English hate Harry and his wife? I haven't lived in the UK for more than 20 years and don't understand why Harry has gone from being a war hero in Afghanistan to a hate figure. Thanks.
Old Dec 29th 2021, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SteveDW
Could someone tell me why so many English hate Harry and his wife? I haven't lived in the UK for more than 20 years and don't understand why Harry has gone from being a war hero in Afghanistan to a hate figure. Thanks.
Is that a serious question? It has a lot to do with his self-obsessed public emoting and his attacks on his family. Oh, and the fake do-gooding while he seeks lucrative contracts wherever he can. There really isn’t much to like. I suspect the dislike of Harry also extends to the Scots, the Welsh and the Northern Irish. I won’t comment on the “war hero”.
Old Dec 29th 2021, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

SteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CamemBert
Is that a serious question? It has a lot to do with his self-obsessed public emoting and his attacks on his family. Oh, and the fake do-gooding while he seeks lucrative contracts wherever he can. There really isn’t much to like. I suspect the dislike of Harry also extends to the Scots, the Welsh and the Northern Irish. I won’t comment on the “war hero”.
It was a serious question. I left the UK more than 20 years ago and the last time I read anything in the English press about Harry he was being lauded for fighting against the Taliban in Afghanistan. I was wondering why he had suddenly (or not so suddenly as it seems) he had become such a hate figure. As for seeking lucrative contracts, I'm sure Charles and Andrew have done plenty of that but don't get the same criticism. But I could be wrong!
Old Dec 29th 2021, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

IminSpain is a glorious beacon of lightIminSpain is a glorious beacon of lightIminSpain is a glorious beacon of lightIminSpain is a glorious beacon of lightIminSpain is a glorious beacon of lightIminSpain is a glorious beacon of lightIminSpain is a glorious beacon of lightIminSpain is a glorious beacon of lightIminSpain is a glorious beacon of lightIminSpain is a glorious beacon of lightIminSpain is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bob_bob
Andrew? Yep he’s popular TICK TOCK
Old Dec 29th 2021, 10:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

My view on this is his choice of wife who seems to have had an agenda against the Royal Family. Seems to me that she thought that marrying into Royalty meant she should be treated like the Queen. She clearly didn't take into account that Harry would never be King. Strikes me she then went about destroying his relationship with his brother and Royal family and his country. Very sad given his history. Struck me as a bit of a lost man after he left the Army no real role. He did well with Invicta Games etc and other charitable work but that all seemed to change after he married his wife.
Old Dec 29th 2021, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

It was a serious question. I left the UK more than 20 years ago and the last time I read anything in the English press about Harry he was being lauded for fighting against the Taliban in Afghanistan. I was wondering why he had suddenly (or not so suddenly as it seems) he had become such a hate figure. As for seeking lucrative contracts, I'm sure Charles and Andrew have done plenty of that but don't get the same criticism. But I could be wrong!
I left the UK 17 years ago, but still read the UK press. I just can’t quite see how this forum would provide the first inkling that something might be up with Harry. There has been plenty of criticism of Andrew. Did you miss the interview with Emily Maitlis where he made such an idiot of himself?
Old Dec 29th 2021, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

I do read the English press, but I only scan it for the politics, the royal family never had much interest for me. Obviously I've seen some of the hate comments, I just never understood why they appeared or could be bothered to find out, until now. When there's a paedophile (or good friend of one) in the family I wonder why most of the criticism goes on Harry. I'll leave it there, I think I've got the message.
Old Dec 29th 2021, 11:25 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Seems to be problem with the British press more than anything else...

Here Are 20 Headlines Comparing Meghan Markle To Kate Middleton That May Show Why She And Prince Harry Left Royal Life

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.