Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Quad LNB problems...Why?

Quad LNB problems...Why?

Old Mar 22nd 2012, 4:35 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Quad LNB problems...Why?

Hmmm, just installed my Quad LNB for Sat' TV in my patio and indoors, outdoors says no satelite signal, indoors seems fine.

Any ideas?

thanks incase you do
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quad LNB problems...Why?

Hmmmm, even The Guy will need more info than you have supplied! Can you elaborate a bit more? What do you mean works indoor but not out? You have two leads inside and two to a receiver outside? A bit more explaining and we may be able to offer more advice.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 5:16 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anonimouse
Hmmm, just installed my Quad LNB for Sat' TV in my patio and indoors, outdoors says no satelite signal, indoors seems fine.

Any ideas?

thanks incase you do
Odds on that the lead for the outdoor connection is faulty at the LNB/Sat box.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 5:17 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Switch over the cable (on the LNB) going indoors and the one to the patio.

If you now have signal on the patio but not indoors, then the cable's naff or the LNB port is naff.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 5:42 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

First check all connections and cables.
Physically remove them and redo them if necessary.

Next, as snikpoh suggests, try another port and swap the cables around the ports to make sure that the poerts on the LNB are all working.

Are you using the same box inside and outside, or another box? Are you sure the second box works?

If its a sky box then have you changed the default frequency to help the sky box boot up ( http://www.satandpcguy.com/Site/sky_...anca_spain.php ).

As mentioned, a bit more information would be useful, other wise we do not have a clear idea about the equipment you have, and our answers will only be generalised and not as specific as they could be
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 5:50 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hi sorry went to shop

I have satelite in my lounge, I have just changed the lnb to a quad.

At first the one in the lounge worked but out side no signal, then lounge went off about half hour ago, I turned lnb and have it out in pation now but not indoors.

I am about to turn LNB slowly to see if I can get both on together.

Have tried new cables, no change.

Not sure why only one works at a time, thanks for prompt response
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 5:58 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

is there a possibility the LNB is defective ??
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

Is the dish an offset one, ie oval shaped with the lnb on an arm? If so I'm assuming here its fixed and not motorised. The lnb needs to be at a slight angle in the holding bracket, as you look at the dish, the lnb body needs to be twisted to about the 7 oclock position not 6 oclock.

If you have two receivers, swap them over and see what happens. But from your last post I would suspect that the cables or lnb to be at fault. Did you make the cable connections yourself? If so I would redo them, cut an inch off and start again at both ends. If it persists, have you an old lnb you can replace. It doesn't have to be a quad, a single feed will do, but it will allow you to make a connection with the cable and check that the system works. If it does, then it has to be a faulty quad lnb.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 6:27 pm

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

If both receivers are on the same channel, and one has picture and the other not then either:
you have a bad LNB
you have bad cable conenctions
you have a bad receiver

If both receivers are on the same channel, then any LNB turning will result in the same for both receivers.

Turning the LNB will result in the same for both receivers, not turning one off and one on!!

which suggests LNB or cable or connection issue.

Or if using a bog standard FTA receiver (again no idea just guessing as you have not said what equipment you are having the problems on), perhaps the LNB settings are not the same on both boxes...causing channels to come and go.

(BTW you do have a QUAD and not a quatro? Just asking as you would be surprised how many make that error)
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 7:28 pm

Thanks everyone, still tinkering.

I have two boxes (Sky) and four outlets from my LNB on my 2mtr dish in southern Spain, every thing is working now except movies for men plus 1, True movies are iffy, work then don't, seems like the adjustment is so fine, might be better tomorrow? I never watch them anyway just trying to get it spot on. not easy

Thanks again all, I am happy with the reception now.

Last edited by anonimouse; Mar 22nd 2012 at 7:31 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 9:51 pm

Yes LNB skew adjustment is very very fine.
A mm one way or the other makes all the difference.

And the distance between the feedhorn and the dish (focal distance) is also critical. The distance depends on the make and siz of dish - eg for prime focus 1.8/1.9 is 73.6cm, a 2.4 is 93cm. Sometimes ignoring this a bit farther out also helps. I have no idea what the distance is for a 2m dish as never come across a 2m dish before.