Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Property surveyors?

Property surveyors?

Old Apr 19th 2007, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Nacnud is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Property surveyors?

When you bought a house in Spain, did you have a survey done like here in the UK? Nobody we've spoke to in Spain has mentioned surveys yet. I just want to be armed with everything before we go a lot further. Thanks
Old Apr 19th 2007, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Property surveyors?

We are renting 'cause we can't afford to buy but I would certainly have a survey done. I am sure that others on the site who have purchased will confirm this.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Big_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really nice

Some do have survey's done out here some don't.

If you want a survey done, as has been said before, Architect's & Aparajedors do them, plus also look out for Property Surveyors possibly in some English Mags
Old Apr 19th 2007, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

Nacnud is an unknown quantity at this point

Any idea where I can buy such mags etc please?
Old Apr 19th 2007, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

countryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Nacnud
Any idea where I can buy such mags etc please?
Hi,
Well you can get your bank to get a survey done for you if you take out a morgage, this I think is the best way as the bank then takes the risk and not you. you could try looking here www.costablancanews.es or here http://www.adscostablanca.com/ depending on what costa your moving to you could also try www.costadelsolnews.es you cauld also try www.surinenglish.es that sould keep you busy for a while.

Good Luck.
Countryboy.
aka David
Old Apr 20th 2007, 12:20 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Banks, AFAIK, only carry out valuation "surveys", often no more than a drive by.
As a cautionary tale, I today went to survey a property (bought without a survey - horse/stable door scenario), which is now being eaten up by termites...this is the time of year when they become active so keep a lookout!
Old Apr 20th 2007, 4:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
Banks, AFAIK, only carry out valuation "surveys", often no more than a drive by.
As a cautionary tale, I today went to survey a property (bought without a survey - horse/stable door scenario), which is now being eaten up by termites...this is the time of year when they become active so keep a lookout!
If you had a survery done you would probably never buy anything, ??
It may be better to concentrate efforts on ensuring I had a legal property with all the right documents in place, as that usually tends to be the issues with properties in Spain. (apart from the Shoddy workmanship which can be prevalent)

Last edited by Solarwhizz; Apr 20th 2007 at 4:47 am.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 11:48 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Solarwhizz
If you had a survery done you would probably never buy anything, ??
I reckon 90% of my clients go on to (attempt to) purchase the property that's been surveyed, although of course they may be thwarted by legalities further down the line.

The main thing is that at least they are going into the purchase with their eyes open, fully aware of the structural condition of the building they're about to sink tens/hundreds of thousands of euros into, rather than thinking, as they've no doubt been reliably informed by an estate agent, that it's only going to cost them 10 grand to completely renovate it, with a lick of paint here and a bit of a rewire there. Many clients are also able to negotiate a lower purchase price on the back of the survey report - so a report that may have cost 400€ could potentially save them 4-40k. Not a bad investment.

The 10% or so who do decide not to proceed first time around, more often that not instruct me again and go on to buy something else usually requiring less work. I think I did 3 surveys for one client before she found the right place for her!

Of course, many estate agents don't like me and my kind because they may lose a sale or earn less commission, which is no bad thing IMHO. I've had some agents try to tell me what to write.

If a surveyor/architect/engineer can help assist someone to make the "correct" decision for them, whether it's to proceed or not, then they're doing their job right. Infinitely preferable to the countless cases where I'm called in too late (like yesterday, with the house being devoured by termites) to be of any real help other than to have to tell the hapless owner that they've bought a complete lemon and are now saddled with repair (or, in the worst case scenario, demolition) works costing them many tens of thousands of euros when all they wanted was a cheap holiday home to do up.

I would genuinely be interested to know (cos I'm nosey!) if those of you on here who've bought houses did or didn't have a survey done and why? Obviously if you're in the building/surveying trade yourself (or know someone who is) or even are a competent DIY expert/enthusiast then you probably wouldn't bother, but I'd be interested to hear others' points of view.