Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Proof of UK tax certificate

Proof of UK tax certificate

Old Nov 11th 2019, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

NABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Proof of UK tax certificate

We have looked but cannot find any info, apologies if this has been discussed earlier.

My wife has been a UK taxpayer and now we are tax resident and need to complete the modelo 720 plus a tax return at the end of this year. Our accountant advises that she needs a certificate to prove UK tax residency.

She has found one application form on the HMRC online but it requires the completion of foreign income which she does not have. The boxes have to be completed and will not accept a 0.00 value.

It is probable it is not an unusual situation. Has anybody experienced this and so is there another form for this situation. Any information gratefully received.
Old Nov 11th 2019, 5:43 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proof of UK tax certificate

I had similar issue with another HMRC form. I filled in 0.01
Old Nov 11th 2019, 6:27 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you need a certificate of UK tax residency if you are tax resident in Spain?
Old Nov 11th 2019, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

NABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I did not detail the circumstances better.

We became resident in April this year and tax resident in September. My wife, with employment and property income in the UK needs to prove she has fulfilled her UK tax obligations.
Old Nov 11th 2019, 9:55 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I still don’t understand why the Spanish tax office needs this. Her world wide income will be taxed in Spain. What happens in the UK is of no consequence as she is no longer tax resident. She may well have to pay UK tax on UK sourced income but she can deduct that from any Spanish tax paid on the same income.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

Exactly Fred that is our understanding.

Our accountant advises that this certificate is needed to prove she paid tax on UK sourced income for the year prior to becoming a Spanish tax resident.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 7:08 am

The only reason I can think of is that he wants to make sure she didn't "accidently" forget to declare her Spanish income after she had left the UK. You would be amazed how forgetful some people can be when it comes to paying tax!

I can understand the tax office asking for this, but they would have to be very suspicious to do this. I think he is just overcomplicating the situation to justify his charge for doing 10 minutes work!
Old Nov 12th 2019, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NABman
We have looked but cannot find any info, apologies if this has been discussed earlier.

My wife has been a UK taxpayer and now we are tax resident and need to complete the modelo 720 plus a tax return at the end of this year. Our accountant advises that she needs a certificate to prove UK tax residency.

She has found one application form on the HMRC online but it requires the completion of foreign income which she does not have. The boxes have to be completed and will not accept a 0.00 value.

It is probable it is not an unusual situation. Has anybody experienced this and so is there another form for this situation. Any information gratefully received.
I'm probably totally wrong here but If she's been employed in the UK would her P60 & P45's be OK? I think they're supposed to indicate the amount of tax paid.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

Is this related to deducting tax already paid in the UK from your Spanish tax bill? Under the dual tax agreement? If so, then I was asked by Hacienda to provide some kind of certificate proving what I had paid in the UK. As it's all online I ended up printing out the email they sent confirming the payment had been made, and I printed out my UK tax statement, which was available online. I had to get them translated by a SWORN translator, with the official stamps, and that cost me over 100 euros so in future I won't be claiming unless it's for over 150 euros.