Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Mijas pueblo.........

Mijas pueblo.........

Old Nov 12th 2019, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

CaroleC1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mijas pueblo.........

what a beautiful place. We only moved here in May 2018 from the UK but...…………... I don't seem to be settling
Hubby is fine, but I'm so sad at times.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 7:36 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mijas pueblo.........

That is a shame. Do you miss home, family and friends?

Spain is not for everyone. After eighteen months if you are not happy, perhaps it is not for you?
Old Nov 13th 2019, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

I undesrtand you exactly and think you are being brave and honest in admitting how you feel. Many folk feel their lives will be enriched by a better climate , a life with less obligations etc. The problem they often fail to see the less tangible things they will leave behind. Moving to a foreign country should require a period of integration and learning. Unfortunately for many expats this means hard work so they opt for a life where little adjustment is required. For some this works for others it slowly reveals a disquieting sense of not belonging or falseness. I think your honeymoon period is coming to an end and what you are finding is a person disconnected and alienated from the country and culture you are living in. My advice is that you need to either accept that living in Spain requires assimilation and therefore should be seen as a challenge where you learn new things and develop a new identity or return to UK. I always feel that a failure to try and learn the language means you will struggle to enjoy and understand the experience. Look at this as a challenge. Sign up for Spanish classes. Stop watching English TV. Change your day. Align yourself with Spanish meal times and practices. Let yourself change slowly and then you will start to feel more positive about your experience and proud of your achievements
Old Nov 13th 2019, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

breakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaroleC1
what a beautiful place. We only moved here in May 2018 from the UK but...…………... I don't seem to be settling
Hubby is fine, but I'm so sad at times.
Hi Carole!

Could you be specific why you feel you’re not settling? Are you retired? Do you speak Spanish? Do you have many local friends (healthy mix of Spanish and English)?

Are you renting or permanent move?