Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Proof of income for residency

Proof of income for residency

Old Aug 10th 2012, 7:02 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proof of income for residency

Originally Posted by billgates
When I first applied for residency my finger prints were taken.

When I applied to renew my residency they weren't, and I'm sure that no-one else had theirs taken either, and some of them were applying for their first residency.

So maybe this is something else they have stopped doing?
they haven't done that since they changed the rules from 'applying for residency' to 'registering as resident' in 2007
Old Aug 10th 2012, 8:39 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
they haven't done that since they changed the rules from 'applying for residency' to 'registering as resident' in 2007
We moved here and did ours in 2006 and did not have our fingerprint taken so maybe some offices started early.

Rosemary
Old Aug 12th 2012, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

mikeglover is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Proof of income for residency

Originally Posted by billgates
What's with the entitlement attitude that so many brits have?
I hear it all the time, just because someone has "been paying into the system all my life" why do they expect to be able to "get something back"?

I mean, you pay car insurance for years and never make a claim. Do you then expect a refund? No. And if you stop paying your car insurance and then have an accident you suddenly find that you aren't covered. As expected.
So why with the uk National Insurance that everyone in the uk pays do people still expect to be able to claim on it long after they have stopped actually paying into it?

Oh, and I agree about the bankers. They should be strung up.
Ive not reached retirement age yet but is it true that Brits who retire out here still get the UK winter fuel allowance? if so, do most of them opt out of receiving it ?
Old Aug 12th 2012, 8:05 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikeglover
Ive not reached retirement age yet but is it true that Brits who retire out here still get the UK winter fuel allowance? if so, do most of them opt out of receiving it ?
I doubt many would opt out of receiving it - it gets pretty chilly in winter here & the houses tend to be really expensive to heat - I know my heating bills in winter are far more than my dad's were in the UK & he kept his house sweltering, whereas mine rarely gets up to 20º

it used to be that if you got the winter fuel allowance before leaving the UK you continued to get it - but I think the rules have changed now & all pensioners can claim it

http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-...fits/benefits/

Last edited by lynnxa; Aug 12th 2012 at 8:13 am.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Do millionaires opt out of receiving benefits, thinking here of Cameron not opting out..............

I wouldnt opt out either if I was eligible for winter fuel allowance, my heating oil bill is well over €1400 for the winter.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't think it was possible to "opt out" of receiving the winter fuel allowance - I seem to remember a campaign endorsed by a number of celebrities to encourage people who felt they didn't need it to donate it to charity or pass it on to a less well off pensioner?
Old Aug 12th 2012, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

mikeglover is an unknown quantity at this point

Well said all, i agree that as i have paid into the system and the system allows me to have a winter fuel allowance when i retire (sods law, they will scrap it just as i reach retirement age - which also keeps changing before i can reach it), i will gladly accept the allowance (it gets pretty chill up here in the mountains). I wonder also, how many of the people who reckon that as we have left the UK, we are not entitled to anything, still decided to get a S1 from Newcastle before they came over here (before state retirement age). Which reminds me, as i live over here, can i still get one when i reach retirement age?
Old Aug 12th 2012, 8:27 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Well said all, i agree that as i have paid into the system and the system allows me to have a winter fuel allowance when i retire (sods law, they will scrap it just as i reach retirement age - which also keeps changing before i can reach it), i will gladly accept the allowance (it gets pretty chill up here in the mountains). I wonder also, how many of the people who reckon that as we have left the UK, we are not entitled to anything, still decided to get a S1 from Newcastle before they came over here (before state retirement age). Which reminds me, as i live over here, can i still get one when i reach retirement age?
once you reach retirement age you will automatically have your healthcare here paid by the UK via the S1 - they'll send it to you

as it stands atm of course...............
Old Aug 12th 2012, 9:58 am
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

once you reach retirement age you will automatically have your healthcare here paid by the UK via the S1 - they'll send it to you

as it stands atm of course...............
Only if you ask them.. how does a computer know you moved to Spain,,, and yes we still get the winter fuel payment..
Old Aug 12th 2012, 10:06 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by tommy.irene
Only if you ask them.. how does a computer know you moved to Spain,,, and yes we still get the winter fuel payment..
the computer will surely have your address

how else will it know where to send the pension info letters ?
Old Aug 12th 2012, 3:46 pm
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

the computer will surely have your address

how else will it know where to send the pension info letters ?
I had to ring the penson office and fill the form in over the phone ,that i had moved to Spain..they dont inform you.. you inform them..
Old Aug 12th 2012, 4:09 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by tommy.irene
I had to ring the penson office and fill the form in over the phone ,that i had moved to Spain..they dont inform you.. you inform them..

of course you had to inform them that you live in Spain - wouldn't you tell them of any change of address

what I mean is - assuming they know your address (wherever that may be) - the forms would be sent to you & when you get your pension you will automatically get the S1 if that address is in Spain (or anywhere else you can use it)

I recently received S1 forms from myself & my children - I didn't have to ask for them - they just appeared in my letter box
Old Aug 12th 2012, 4:23 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

of course you had to inform them that you live in Spain - wouldn't you tell them of any change of address

what I mean is - assuming they know your address (wherever that may be) - the forms would be sent to you & when you get your pension you will automatically get the S1 if that address is in Spain (or anywhere else you can use it)

I recently received S1 forms from myself & my children - I didn't have to ask for them - they just appeared in my letter box

I think something has been lost in translation.

As an early retiree, I haven't informed the 'pensions office' (DWP I assume) that I am in Spain. Should I have done?

When I get close to retirement age, I assume that I will have to inform them then and wait for the forms - they won't be able to send them to me which I think is what was being said.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 4:31 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh

As an early retiree, I haven't informed the 'pensions office' (DWP I assume) that I am in Spain. Should I have done?

When I get close to retirement age, I assume that I will have to inform them then and wait for the forms - they won't be able to send them to me which I think is what was being said.
We retired early and requested the relevant form at that time to enable us to receive the 2 years healthcare. However, 3 or 4 months before each of us were due to receive our state pension we had to contact them to ensure that we could complete the pensions forms. Maybe things have changed but this was only a couple of years ago and as far as I remember we had to request further forms for the healthcare element.

Rosemary
Old Aug 12th 2012, 4:39 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by snikpoh

I hadn't either until recently

I thought you'd had S1s when you came over though?

they'd know you live in Spain then, surely

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.