British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Proof of income for residency (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/proof-income-residency-757881/)

purpleflower May 11th 2012 12:12 am

Proof of income for residency

Hi all

I have been reading today that since the end of April this year there is now a requirement for proof of income and health cover to be shown when applying for residency, does anyone know how much income a couple will have to prove?

Thanks for any help

lynnxa May 11th 2012 5:41 am

Re: Proof of income for residency

Originally Posted by purpleflower (Post 10053626)
Hi all

I have been reading today that since the end of April this year there is now a requirement for proof of income and health cover to be shown when applying for residency, does anyone know how much income a couple will have to prove?

Thanks for any help

http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-...thcare-updates

Proof of Healthcare

If you are applying for your residence certificate, you may be asked to show proof that you are covered for healthcare in Spain when making your application. If you are a UK state pensioner for example, you may be able to use your S1 form to meet this requirement. A full list of requirements should be obtained from your local Oficina de Extranjeros or designated police station. More details can be found on the Spanish Ministry of the Interior website (information is in Spanish) and follow the links for extranjería.

SueG May 11th 2012 7:28 am

I understand that you have to have provide a certificate from your Bank showing income of at least 432€ i.e. for pensioners or early retirees or produce proof that you are working in Spain i.e. your contract. Benidorm is certainly applying this rule although to my knowledge some Foreigners Offices haven't got the message yet!

purpleflower May 11th 2012 9:32 am

Thankyou for the link lyn, I will check that out. Thanks for your reply Sue, I presume the amount is double that for a couple?

Fred James May 11th 2012 9:45 am

Sue, do you know how they arrived at that figure?

The new law refers to the minimum Spanish state pension or the amount of income you need to be below to qualify for social assistance.

Chiclanagir May 11th 2012 9:47 am

Uhhhh, I wouldn´t think this is correct. If you are a member of the EU you have access to all EU countries and don´t have to proof any income.

Lorna at Vicenza May 11th 2012 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir (Post 10054229)
Uhhhh, I wouldn´t think this is correct. If you are a member of the EU you have access to all EU countries and don´t have to proof any income.

Not true.
Italy also requires proof of funds to keep yourself and also health insurance so that you will not be a burden on the state. That's for people not working here.

Fred James May 11th 2012 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir (Post 10054229)

It is correct. The law changed 3 weeks ago and proof of income and health cover is allowed under EU rules.

When the EU residency law came into effect 5 years ago Spain opted out of that requirement. They have now realised that it would save them money on health care so they have introduced it with immediate effect.

Lynn R May 11th 2012 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 10054225)

The new law refers to the minimum Spanish state pension or the amount of income you need to be below to qualify for social assistance.

In the case of people arriving in Spain who are below pension age, would a lump sum be accepted as proof of ability to support yourself, and if so how much would you need to be able to prove you had, I wonder?

SueG May 11th 2012 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 10054225)

Sorry Fred no - we are trying to find the law itself but not having an awful lot of luck - but that is what we are being told in the Benidorm office

purpleflower May 11th 2012 11:40 am

Sue, are they telling you that its 432 euros per person or is there a different amount per married couple? What happens if you have less than the income they require?

SueG May 11th 2012 11:49 am

Originally Posted by purpleflower (Post 10054384)
Sue, are they telling you that its 432 euros per person or is there a different amount per married couple? What happens if you have less than the income they require?

As at today - it is per person and if you cannot prove that this they are refusing the certificates. We have had at least two clients who are not of pensionable age and are not working here refused their residency certificates.

purpleflower May 11th 2012 11:51 am

okay, thankyou Sue, does having savings help atall if you dont have the required income?

pixieve May 11th 2012 12:05 pm

I just got my residency (and my daughters) in October with no job at the time and was never asked for proof of income. Though you are saying it is a new thing right!?

snikpoh May 11th 2012 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by pixieve (Post 10054441)
I just got my residency (and my daughters) in October with no job at the time and was never asked for proof of income. Though you are saying it is a new thing right!?

As other posters said above, the rules (law?) changed 3 weeks ago.