Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

PROBLEMS RECIVING SKY TV

PROBLEMS RECIVING SKY TV

Old Oct 10th 2009, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

prettypolly90 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PROBLEMS RECIVING SKY TV

Is anyone else out there having problems receiving SKY TV. Myself and several others in our area are frequently receiving "NO SIGNAL RECEIVED" or "THERE IS A TECHNICAL PROBLEMS WITH THIS CHANNEL". We subscribe but the others receive Freeview. I can get some channels such as Channel 5, the music channels, Sky 1 etc, but not BBC1 or ITV.

I believe that recently there has been problems with the Satelite, but I assumed that was corrected as we had a period where we could receive satelite tele without any problems.

I'm hoping someone can give me some advise.
Thanx
Prettypolly
Old Oct 10th 2009, 9:14 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PROBLEMS RECIVING SKY TV

Have no problems here with those channels.

There have been a few recent satellite issues (eurobird1 deciding to go for a wander!), but not on the satellite (astra 2d) that carries BBC!

Those BBC and ITV channels are the weakest channels (but for ITV1 you can add a region from freuqnecy 12402 v 27.5 2/3 which are stronger as they are on a totally different satellite) as they come from a weak beam satellite (for Spain) hence the need for big dishes.

If you are having problems then either dish needs realignment (even a few mm make a difference!), LNB needs checking / replacing (done a few of those since the storms a few weeks ago - many were affected by water / static from the lightening), problems with digiboxes (a few people did not disconnect during the recent storms and have had "tuner" problems), "nasties" in the LNB (that can reduce the signal), water in the cables / connections )poor or damaged cables or connections / connectors not water proofed), or that there is heavy cloud / rain in your area which is affecting your reception.

Maybe call in someone who has the equipment to sort it out.

but the others receive Freeview
Freeview is a UK ONLY digital TV service received via a TV Aerial. (freeview.co.uk). You cannot receive Freeview in Spain, as the nearest transmitter for Freeview is in Redruth nr Penzance (http://www.ukfree.tv/txlist.php). Spain has its own version of Freeview - ie digital TV via a TV aerial - called TDT.
Not all channels available on Freeview are available for free on satellite - like Dave.
You probably mean the free to air (no sky card required - bbc itv1,2,3,4 c4, five) and free to view (some ITV1 regions, Five, Fiver Five USA).

Last edited by The Guy; Oct 10th 2009 at 9:50 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for your advise. I share my dish with my neighbour so sounds like it could be a problem with the LNB (we have already discussed replacing that). It seems that I can receive most ther channels other than BBC and ITV. I have tried adding ITV using the frequency you suggest but it doesn't seem to save it, am I doing something wrong?
Old Oct 11th 2009, 8:20 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

a sky box will not save the frequency.
it will not put ITV1 onto 103.
it does not make any other channels last longer.

it just adds a ITV1 to your other channels list.
to access them you go into your "other channels list"

Itv and Channel 4 on a small Dish Costa Blanca Spain

Last edited by The Guy; Oct 11th 2009 at 8:25 am.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

Thanks, found it.