Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Is summer back?

Is summer back?

Old Oct 8th 2009, 7:23 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is summer back?

For the first time ever in Spain, summer seems to have returned. With a vengeance. I was back in the swmming pool this afernoon, at 26 degrees, but tonight I've been fighting the intruders on the open terrace. The fiendly geckos couldn't cope with the avalanche of mosquitos, nor could I, and suddenly a big fat cuca appeared to add to my woes.

I couldn't spray it because it was right next to a gecko, so I chased it around the terrace where my terrified partner was screaming at me because it was heading in her direction. I got it just in time.

And we've run out of all the safety measures, Zedan, Cucal etc, because this shouldn't be happening. Is it global warming?
Old Oct 8th 2009, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is summer back?

I usually visit Denia during October half term which is at the end of the month and have spent many a day on the beach with temps at mid twenties. If you miss the gota fria, then October is a great time of year.

You might be more aware of it this year, having had such a prolonged spell of wet weather.

You are very brave man with cockroaches - I freaked out when I saw a dead one. Not sure I could have coped with a real live running one!
Old Oct 8th 2009, 8:19 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

You will not believe this, but while I was sitting on the terrace, minutes ago, I heard an almighty scream from indoors where my OH had a cuca land on her head. I chased it all around the house and killed it in the kitchen.

We've lived in Spain for yonks and this has never happened before. I'm a shaking wreck and the drinks cupboard is about to be raided.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 5:30 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montgomail
I usually visit Denia during October half term which is at the end of the month and have spent many a day on the beach with temps at mid twenties. If you miss the gota fria, then October is a great time of year.

You might be more aware of it this year, having had such a prolonged spell of wet weather.

You are very brave man with cockroaches - I freaked out when I saw a dead one. Not sure I could have coped with a real live running one!
you're right - the first few years we were here we spent some of this October fiesta long weekend on the beach - even having a dip in the sea!

it's only the past couple of years that the rainy weather seems to have arrived earlier
Old Oct 9th 2009, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

smartmove is an unknown quantity at this point

I assume a cuca is a cockroach?
Old Oct 9th 2009, 11:42 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smartmove
I assume a cuca is a cockroach?
cucaracha
Old Oct 9th 2009, 12:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Just had an e-mail from a Spanish friend in Andalucia, and he was saying much the same, you won't believe the temperatures here, 27º -28º.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 12:34 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Just had an e-mail from a Spanish friend in Andalucia, and he was saying much the same, you won't believe the temperatures here, 27º -28º.
Need the fan on in the bedroom for the last few nights. ;-))
Old Oct 9th 2009, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

" El veranillo de San Miguel " (San Miguel's little summer) is lasting more than the habitual thing...Are not usual these temperatures in this time, even in the south of Spain
Old Oct 9th 2009, 6:30 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The boss has just left to go and see Elvis, leaving me in blissful charge. She did spray me all over with mosquito repellent and so far, so good. When I took the dog for a walk this hot morning, he was soon covered in a blanket of mosquitoes, so we ran home.

Veranillo, what a lovely word, and how appropriate. Long may it last, now that I've found the repellent, I'm going to try it on the dog tomorrow.
Old Oct 10th 2009, 5:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Yesterday (Friday) we went to the beach after school & I was quite happily playing in the sea with 7yo; now I'm a definite wimp when it comes to water temperatures, and it was long gone 5.30 when I left the briny & thought clothes might be in order. October 9 & me in the sea with nary a moan
Old Oct 11th 2009, 8:42 am
Just Joined

fergy has a brilliant futurefergy has a brilliant futurefergy has a brilliant futurefergy has a brilliant futurefergy has a brilliant futurefergy has a brilliant future

we've just got back from a mini golf break in Murcia area and we had 28, 28, 32 and 28 degrees. A tad warmer than we were expecting. but lovely though.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

tawaghorne is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HBG
For the first time ever in Spain, summer seems to have returned. With a vengeance. I was back in the swmming pool this afernoon, at 26 degrees, but tonight I've been fighting the intruders on the open terrace. The fiendly geckos couldn't cope with the avalanche of mosquitos, nor could I, and suddenly a big fat cuca appeared to add to my woes.

I couldn't spray it because it was right next to a gecko, so I chased it around the terrace where my terrified partner was screaming at me because it was heading in her direction. I got it just in time.

And we've run out of all the safety measures, Zedan, Cucal etc, because this shouldn't be happening. Is it global warming?
Can you tell me what a Cuca is, have not heard that name
Old Oct 11th 2009, 10:29 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by tawaghorne
Can you tell me what a Cuca is, have not heard that name
cucaracha - cockroach
Old Oct 11th 2009, 11:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
cucaracha - cockroach
groundhog thread, methinks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.