Problem Dog

Old Feb 19th 2006, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Problem Dog

Sorry, this has nothing to do with Spain but I am after some advice if anyone can help. My one and a half year Westie urinates on table legs. I can never catch him actually doing it to punish him there and then but I do show it to him and tell him to go outside which he does. Until the next time!! Apart from that he is a happy chap and as good as gold.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 12:55 pm
Rob in Madrid

tim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nice
Default Re: Problem Dog

We had the similar problem with our dog, Bischon bitch, took her forever to train. If you haven't started you may want to crate her\him, only going out when its time to go pee. If you don't want to keep her in the crate all day try closing the door to the problem room. Generally speaking crate training is the best way to go. If you haven't crate trained her than first few times use treats so she associates it with something good. Our dog is know 3 years old and has outgrown her cage, except in the car and never has accidents any more.

Also try searching some pet boards to see what kind of ideas you can come up with.

PS noticed the spell check!!! wonderfull, I'm a terrible speller

Originally Posted by glynis
Sorry, this has nothing to do with Spain but I am after some advice if anyone can help. My one and a half year Westie urinates on table legs. I can never catch him actually doing it to punish him there and then but I do show it to him and tell him to go outside which he does. Until the next time!! Apart from that he is a happy chap and as good as gold.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

cumtuppence is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Problem Dog

[FONT=Verdana]We have two Westies and one of them who is 3 years old had been weeing everywhere. Put him in the garden and he would wee then come straight in and do it indoors!!!!!! We were advised to have him 'done' although a bit reluctant we went ahead. He is much better and now we only get the odd accident usually at night or when we leave him in the day. Not his fault then as is unable to get out.

Hope this helps
Old Feb 20th 2006, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cumtuppence
[FONT=Verdana]We have two Westies and one of them who is 3 years old had been weeing everywhere. Put him in the garden and he would wee then come straight in and do it indoors!!!!!! We were advised to have him 'done' although a bit reluctant we went ahead. He is much better and now we only get the odd accident usually at night or when we leave him in the day. Not his fault then as is unable to get out.

Hope this helps
I think this may have to be the answer, although reluctant. Don't mind doing the cats but always feel reluctant with a dog - stupid really. I think it's a bit too late to crate. The stupid thing he is fine all night long and I let him out in the morning and within an hour he has found a table leg. Thank god for tiled floors, but, it can't go on.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

The stupid thing he is fine all night long and I let him out in the morning and within an hour he has found a table leg. Thank god for tiled floors, but, it can't go on.
Hi Glynis,
Sorry to ask 2 stupid questions, but does your dog pee on any table leg outside? Is it a fondness for one particular table leg?
Carol
Old Feb 20th 2006, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Angry Re: Problem Dog

Originally Posted by Carol&John
Hi Glynis,
Sorry to ask 2 stupid questions, but does your dog pee on any table leg outside? Is it a fondness for one particular table leg?
Carol
That sounds disgusting!! You mean is he in love with any particular table leg? No, unfortunately he does not discriminate. If it stands still for long enough - it's wet!
Old Feb 20th 2006, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds disgusting!! You mean is he in love with any particular table leg? No, unfortunately he does not discriminate. If it stands still for long enough - it's wet!
Hang on! Didn't mean for it to be disgusting!! Yes, I did mean does he discriminate, because if he went back to the same leg all the time, then I'd suspect it was something to do with either the location or the paint/wood. Once he leaves his scent there, he'll return to the same spot again and again. And, before you ask, I am not questioning your housekeeping!
Is there a spray which makes them not want to go near that spot?
Sorry, if I upset you, but thought it might be worth a try before the big snip.
Carol
Old Feb 20th 2006, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

Allyson1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

If there is still the smell of where he has urinated before then he will be tempted to go again. I don't think this is house training so much as scent marking, after all he is 1.5 years. See if you can get advice from your vets or on the web under 'scent marking'. Is there another dog in the house or one which comes to visit - he could be trying to dominate them by establishing his scent.

Good luck.

Allyson
Old Feb 21st 2006, 8:43 am
Just Joined

cumtuppence is an unknown quantity at this point

Try anti mate spray. It smells of lemons and most dogs hate it. It's used on bitches to keep dogs away from the when in season. We did try it and it was okay until our Westie got used to it. Our Westie we had prior to Harry hated it when we sprayed it on parts of the garden we did not want to wee and dig on. It's worth a try'but as I say with Harry we had him done and he is so much better.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cumtuppence
Try anti mate spray. It smells of lemons and most dogs hate it. It's used on bitches to keep dogs away from the when in season. We did try it and it was okay until our Westie got used to it. Our Westie we had prior to Harry hated it when we sprayed it on parts of the garden we did not want to wee and dig on. It's worth a try'but as I say with Harry we had him done and he is so much better.

This is hilarious. "but as I say with Harry we had him done and he is so much better". My husband is called Harry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carol and John - honestly I didn't take offence. Just my weird sense of humour.

Anyone know what the anti mate spray is called in Spanish?

No we haven't got another dog but two cats who treat him like a second class citizen and regularly beat him up. He must be a masochist because he loves it!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 27th 2006, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

NicCol is on a distinguished road

This is hilarious. "but as I say with Harry we had him done and he is so much better". My husband is called Harry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carol and John - honestly I didn't take offence. Just my weird sense of humour.

Anyone know what the anti mate spray is called in Spanish?

No we haven't got another dog but two cats who treat him like a second class citizen and regularly beat him up. He must be a masochist because he loves it!!!!!!!!
When we were house training our dogs the breeder advised us to clean the area with white spirit as it strips out the scent, so they won't repeatedly go in the same place. Otherwise it was just loads of praise/treats when they did it in the right place and trying to catch them doing it in the wrong place.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by NicCol
When we were house training our dogs the breeder advised us to clean the area with white spirit as it strips out the scent, so they won't repeatedly go in the same place. Otherwise it was just loads of praise/treats when they did it in the right place and trying to catch them doing it in the wrong place.
Thanks NicCol will try it before I take him down for the snip. As my friend said, "That is a bit drastic, isn't it!" But at the moment he is spending more and more time outside which is a shame.