Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Sky Satellite Dish

Sky Satellite Dish

Old Feb 27th 2006, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

daveyboy_daveboy has a brilliant futuredaveyboy_daveboy has a brilliant futuredaveyboy_daveboy has a brilliant futuredaveyboy_daveboy has a brilliant futuredaveyboy_daveboy has a brilliant futuredaveyboy_daveboy has a brilliant future
Default Sky Satellite Dish

I had a great reception on my Sky T.V.System.
I moved my T.V. to the opposite side of my Lounge and now have got no reception atall.
When I done a Signal Test the reading on the screen in the Services Box had no reading atall for the signal.
Does anyone no why this is? and can they give any advice on how to rectify it.
I can get Serices and the Channel Guide so surely there can't be much wrong?
Advice appreciated.
Thanks
Old Feb 27th 2006, 7:30 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sky Satellite Dish

Did you extend your cable to move it to the other side of the lounge, or was the cable long enough. Obviously the position of your TV should make no difference to the signal. Sounds like a cable problem
Old Feb 27th 2006, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

Originally Posted by daveyboy_daveboy
I had a great reception on my Sky T.V.System.
I moved my T.V. to the opposite side of my Lounge and now have got no reception atall.
When I done a Signal Test the reading on the screen in the Services Box had no reading atall for the signal.
Does anyone no why this is? and can they give any advice on how to rectify it.
Advice appreciated.
Thanks
Can you get the channel guide when you look further ahead? I suspect not and what you are looking at is what the box has loaded.

Could also be an LNB problem. Did you turn off the power fully (not standby) when you disconnected and reconnected the cable? I have blown an LNB doing this before.

Failing that, I agree it's probably a cable problem. Just make sure that the connector is properly screwed into the back of the box, as well.
Old Feb 27th 2006, 10:33 pm
Rizlared

kevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to all

Originally Posted by daveyboy_daveboy
Advice appreciated.
Thanks
These pages are pre programmed into the sky box, your description is a classic of either break/poor connection with the cable or the LNB has blown, try moving the TV back to the original spot and reconnecting, chances are it will work, pointing to a cable problem.
Also try removing the connector from end of cable, cut off approx 3 inches and the reconnect connector, making certain that the outer braid is not shorting to the inner strand.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

un-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud of

Hi, I am really hoping that someone here can help/advise me. I have an apartment in Altea (in the old town), and whilst all the surrounding areas (Denia, Javea, Alfaz, etc) seem to be able to get Sky Satellite services with a relatively normal and discreetly sized dish, in Altea - apparently due to the geographical location, surrounded by mountains, etc - the only way you can get it and receive the Beeb and other terrestial British stations is by installing a whopping great 2.4m (minimum) dish. This would look absolutely hideous, so I don't want to go down that route. However, I have heard rumours that this is all going to change in March, and I'm wondering (wishin' and hopin') that someone online can tell me more about this.

I gather in other areas down the coast they kinda bounce the signal off various enormous dishes strategically plonked around the countryside so that the people who live there can pick them up, but the Sierras surrounding us prevent that from being possible.

I'd be extremely grateful if anyone can give me any information about any potentially new developments in this area. I'm not holding my breath, though! (No-one else on this site seems to live in Altea, unfortunately.)